Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

For some..old ground..for some new ground!

Views : 639

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 25th, 2021, 17:36   #1
BigGreenThing

Default For some..old ground..for some new ground!

Having thrown a fair amount of money at my manual (eDrive) D3 2L XC70...I've noticed a persistent "whooshing" (or whistling) sound that's audible at most speeds (but more obvious in slow speed/ lower gears due to lower wind resistant noise).

The noise came on a few weeks back. No discernible changes in performance (but only had the car a couple of months). It seems to pull quite well still. There's no smoke of any kind (yet! lol) and my MPG hasn't dropped to that of a Rolls Royce (yet!).

No codes or warning lights have come on (except low battery warning..gulp..more expense possibly!).

Oil level doesn't seem to have dropped

It's booked in to local indy, but not until middle of next week.

I've hunted high and low on the forum (e.g. https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...stantly&page=4
and V60 D5 mpg lower than normal - Volvo Owners Club Forum (volvoforums.org.uk)).

I've considered it to be one or more of the following:

- Compressor bypass valve
- Turbo Control Valve
- boost control valve (solenoid?)
- connections and/or pipes from turbo to inter-cooler
to the intake manifold
- intake from airbox down to turbo
- inlet silencer box thing
- O2 sensor

I've also considered whether it may be EGR or Swirl Flaps issue (at 139K they may well be gunked or tired/worn out)

However, I decided to have a look today to see if there was anything obvious. Obvious noise, air leaks or oil leaks. I found these areas covered in oil...but NO idea what they are or what part they play? (NB - the stick "pointer" was used to highlight what I'm looking at and also used to remove a load of hazelnut cr@p obviously left by a rodent!!..and no - car has not been stood for months...just a few days!)

I'm wondering if anybody on this forum might be able to explain what these are and why they're are covered in oil (attached pdf)? Of the 4 photos, the first 3 pics show both a valve and the pipe leading from the turbo area to the intake. The final photo is the intake going up and over the back of the engine. The screw that you can see in the final photo - I tightened. the clip (or clasp) around the pipe/valve area - you could spin around - and I couldn't actually see how you could tighten it. It was very oily around here (as you can see).

Help! Can anybody figure out what I've been looking at here? Have Google searched like a nutter and for more hours than I care to mention. Doesn't help that so much stuff is D5 related and mine's a slightly more obscure D3!

As the "low battery" warning light has come on - I'm going to drive it carefully and easily for 10-20 miles now (just as it's getting dark). And report back...see if anything else has: stopped working/dropped off/fallen to bits/exploded/left hanging/corrupted/ blocked up/filled up with gunk etc! LOL!

As I'm far from a mechanic, but v eager to learn - any help, thoughts or guidance would be hugely appreciated!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Forum Pics.pdf (381.2 KB, 20 views)
Old Oct 25th, 2021, 18:02   #2
yostumpy

Normally whooshing and/or whistling is a split in an intercooler hose, Landrover ones use to delaminate , impode and split, as they get contaminated with oil. hence swapping them for silicone ones. Also entirely possible the little varmits have chewed thorugh sommit!
Old Oct 25th, 2021, 19:04   #3
BigGreenThing

Default Update after 25 mile drive.

So,

Definitely more a "whistling" sound than a "whooshing". Like somebody trying to whistle (but can't) LOL!

Sound is definitely more noticeable in 1st,2nd and 3rd gears. On light acceleration up to 1,600 - 1,750 rpm - then the whistling seems to fade a little.

Pick up seems to be OK, no stuttering/ faltering.

idle holds steady at 700rpm.

Yet to figure out if more "mess" (as shown in earlier pics) has got worse/ remains the same...as it's dark.. and domestics/kids stuff all kicking off currently.

From a mpg point of view - seems to be around 47mpg mark (bit lower than thought as most of my journey has been on A road). projected fuel tank range inc mileage done is 627....quite a bit off the listed "723 mile range"..don't know if that's an issue! Instant mpg did seem to be a little lower when pushing up hill etc (might be my tired imagination)!

And no other noises..and the "low battery light" hasn't come back on.

Still no engine management light on.

My (non-expert) judgement feels there's wither (a) a split or a leak from a pipe union OR (b) the turbo is freaking out and letting me know it'll soon be visiting the Great Turbo-God in the sky at some point when I really don't need it to!

Old Oct 25th, 2021, 19:46   #4
Kev0607
Premier Member

Check intercooler hose, as mentioned by yostumpy.

The intercooler is at the front of the car near the radiator. Follow the pipe work from that & inspect for any splits/cracks.
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 11:07   #5
Stu B
Master Member

I agree with previous replies, sounds like an air leak.

The hose clip you highlight with a stick in the last photo - did you manage to tighten that one ok? If it wasn’t secure, and still isn’t I’d say that’s your prime suspect. Is the photo showing where that hose meets the turbo? I can’t make it out but see some heat shield so assume back of the engine near bulkhead?

Failing that, intercooler hoses as per other posters replies. I wouldn’t worry about the amount of oil and grime shown in the pics by the way.
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 15:34   #6
BigGreenThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu B View Post
I agree with previous replies, sounds like an air leak.

The hose clip you highlight with a stick in the last photo - did you manage to tighten that one ok? If it wasn’t secure, and still isn’t I’d say that’s your prime suspect. Is the photo showing where that hose meets the turbo? I can’t make it out but see some heat shield so assume back of the engine near bulkhead?

Failing that, intercooler hoses as per other posters replies. I wouldn’t worry about the amount of oil and grime shown in the pics by the way.

As a learner and listener, who’s new to diesel (with turbo) motors, I’m so indebted and appreciative of both your response and others who have helped. Massively appreciated! I did manage to tighten the o-ring slightly, but when I drove it afterwards, there was no change to the whistling sound (but it’s definitely the location where the sound is coming from( from what I can tell). As for the other tubing (first 3 photos) it does seem to go into (or at least towards) the turbo via what looks like the egr/throttle body location. I didn’t have an alternative clip with which to try either. Many thanks again!
Old Nov 2nd, 2021, 11:27   #7
MDS40

Normally whooshing and/or whistling is a split in an intercooler hose,

Same as my Jag x type, split intercooler to egr pipe.
Very common on these cars and could only be seen when removing the pipe.
Sounded like an out of tune canary bird.

Some previous cars include: Jaguar x type: Mazda 6 : Mazda 626: Ford Sierra 2.0: Toyota Celica ST 1600 : Hillman Avenger: Triumph Spitfire:
Oh and a Volvo 340 GL 1984 company car from new.
MDS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MDS40 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2021, 21:16   #8
BigGreenThing

So, local Indy has carried out following:

Full engine management system scan - no issues

Smoke tested intake system- no leaks found when tested

Re-secured breather pipe and cleaned (front of engine)

Checked intake pipes at rear of engine for oil leak - none found

Cam cover weeping oil ever so slightly on to intake pipe (I’ll keep a watch on that). No major oil loss and don’t know if oil leak is old or not.

Turbo behaving as it should do. No concerns from mechanics re: turbo whistling, nor concerns about poor or no oil lubrication of the turbo. Engine pulls brilliantly, no smoke from exhaust, mpg seems within normal range.

Fuel filter fitted. Just cos I wanted it changed

So I guess I was just “overly cautious” in a new car! Car’s a goodun! Thank God for that!🙂👍🤞🏻

Last edited by BigGreenThing; Nov 3rd, 2021 at 21:20.
BigGreenThing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigGreenThing For This Useful Post: