Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 Drivers Door Hinge

Views : 341

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 26th, 2021, 08:46   #1
Steve 940
Premier Member

Default 940 Drivers Door Hinge

Hi,
Been wondering about seemingly excessive road noise around drivers door, as on a main A road, every car that passes produces a 'whooshing' noise. Recent rain we've had, and the next morning I found a nice puddle in the little cubby hole on side of the drivers seat!!
I have pulled rear carpet and sound deadening pad, and all luckily seems it may have happened only 1/2'times as felt pad still in one piece.
Main door seal around frame looks in good condition, and top seal on door is also good.
Noticed door is slightly low at rear top corner when shut, and on lifting, I have around 1/2" of movement on lower hinge.

Seems new hinges are difficult to get, I've posted a want on here, but was wondering if anyone has removed hinge from post and door, drifted or drilled out out the pivot pin, and then rebus, with a new pin?

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 09:14   #2
GingerMagic

Sadly my Volvo knowledge is still very modest, however water ingress is a definite issue on my other car.

I fixed it by removing the door seal, rotating it 90° then refitting it - this stopped the water from coming in.
2019 Citroen C3 ( wife's )
GingerMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GingerMagic For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 13:09   #3
tofufi
Premier Member

I've a vague memory that says front and rear hinges might be the same, so long as you keep them on the correct side of the car. I think they unbolt from door and car.

You just need to find someone breaking a car who will sell the rear door ones

That said, if the catch on the body is adjusted properly, a knackered hinge shouldn't cause a leak - just make it harder to shut the door as it will need to be lifted up as it closes.

From memory, I've kept the hinges from a car I broke but I'm holding on to them as worn hinges are a pet peeve of mine...
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 20:38   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Hi,
Been wondering about seemingly excessive road noise around drivers door, as on a main A road, every car that passes produces a 'whooshing' noise. Recent rain we've had, and the next morning I found a nice puddle in the little cubby hole on side of the drivers seat!!
I have pulled rear carpet and sound deadening pad, and all luckily seems it may have happened only 1/2'times as felt pad still in one piece.
Main door seal around frame looks in good condition, and top seal on door is also good.
Noticed door is slightly low at rear top corner when shut, and on lifting, I have around 1/2" of movement on lower hinge.

Seems new hinges are difficult to get, I've posted a want on here, but was wondering if anyone has removed hinge from post and door, drifted or drilled out out the pivot pin, and then rebus, with a new pin?

Cheers
Steve
Like Jim says, the front and rear hinges on the same sides are the same so i'd advise going after a rear drivers side door lower hinge. I have a spare one but in all honesty it's not great although the hinge itself isn't worn. As a temporary fix, assuming you don't use the rear door much, i'd suggest sapping the rear lower hinge with the front one.

Have a word with Luke (360beast) as he often has breakers in and may have a lower right hand hinge.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 11:45   #5
TonyS9
Premier Member

I should have a driver door hinge set spare.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 14:27   #6
Steve 940
Premier Member

Hi Tony,
Many thanks for your offer, unfortunately I think I have found a set at Volvo Saab Breakers in Nottingham, and ordered them late yesterday.

I say I think, as I've taken a bit of a punt I fear, as they are off a 960, I did rummage around online and seemed to indicate 740/940 & 960 doors were interchangeable front to back, but obviously not nearside & offside.

Hopefully they will supply the hinges from the rear offside door, and not just lump me with the more likely to be worn drivers door hinges.

£35 up in the air for the pair, so hey ho!!! await to see what arrives.

If OK the bonus I think is that they were the same colour.
Once again, many thanks for your response.
Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2021, 11:08   #7
lnparry

Hi Steve,

Hopefully you are sorted now.

If not, then maybe this fix will help......

I have an occasional issue with my 940 lower drivers door hinge that might be similar. On mine the pivot pin sometimes works its way upwards and stands proud of the hinge bracket by 5 mm or so causing lots of play. Fix is to push down on the top of the pin whilst gently rocking the door up and down. Need to do every 3 months or so - I'll fix it one day.

Cheers,
LeeP
lnparry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lnparry For This Useful Post: