Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

High milage HPT.. am i mad? and tips for viewing car

Views : 3059

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 26th, 2021, 23:44   #21
jasons

so long as its had the oil changes done regular and with good oil, I woud go for it.

The hpt is hardly stressed, by todays standards its very low boost on the hpt at around 8psi? compare that to the modern small boosted motors that are boosting their t1ts off at 20+psi lol.

I have a hpt with 155k, bit of a project, I'm plan to run it on e85 fuel via a piggy back injector setup to increase fuelling by 30+% for e85, then I'll wind the boost up to 10psi, should see 200hp easy, especially as e85 is 106 octane lol.

As for dampers, well they'll be past their best with half the miles on, but they are cheap anyway and a new set of dampers on any car with over 70k will transform it.

Brakes on anything over 7yrs old are always worth a minor overhaul, I'm freeing off sliding pins, and pistons to get them functioning like new calipers, but this is more an age thing rather than the difference between 50k & 250k.

Worst case is the motor fails, I was offered last week a good 230FT motor and auto box, but I have nowhere to store it so had to pass by, it will probably go to scrap.

So no, you are not mad.

Last edited by jasons; Oct 26th, 2021 at 23:46.
jasons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jasons For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 05:36   #22
ukvolvo

Thanks for the help and input everyone...

Does sound like it could be a nice car for us. I have no qualms at all rebuilding another lump long term as it is much easier than d24's. As long as the body is good its a viable car. Waxoyled of course and previous welding by volvo so i will have to have a good poke around. No time or workshop space for welding on this car, its gotta be solid. I keep imagining building my hopes up only to get there and its rotten.

The car has had a regular stream of volvo parts fitted at the dealers. Its even had a new clutch in the past 50k for first time. Finger's crossed shes a good one. I am going to try for this Friday viewing
ukvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ukvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2021, 01:28   #23
ukvolvo

We viewed the car yesterday after a fun run down on a often stationary motorway

A few surface rust issues to sort and a little hole near battery tray on arch. Underside was desperate for recovering in places but solid. Jacking points also seemed ok.

Rest of the car was good overall. Drove very nice and hpt's move alright or at least that one does Compared to the d24 it was a rocket sled and i certainly didnt thrash it. My lovely lady immediately grinned when i opened it up so is a strong supporter of the car now

Faulty fuel and temp gauge shock horror but it has already had new board in the past so not sure on a refix.

Front wings were also toast to my picky standards so will go the journey asap.

Interior was spotless, everything works etc so a nicer quicker car for us i think. Lots of history and volvo parts past few years. Even had a new genuine maf 1.5 years ago and full ignition system chasing a misfire. The issue was chased to maf after refitting a old spare one so it was the last part fitted fault chasing...score for me as its all new now beyond consumables

Last edited by ukvolvo; Oct 31st, 2021 at 01:32.
ukvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ukvolvo For This Useful Post: