Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Piece of junk V70 wont start :@

Views : 1573

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 10th, 2021, 08:17   #11
Luxobarge
Premier Member

As advised earlier, I'd be chasing the engine management light first, if the EML doesn't come on with ignition either the bulb has gone or there's a fundamental problem withe the ECU, such as no power to it.
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 15:53   #12
P505DEF
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
As advised earlier, I'd be chasing the engine management light first, if the EML doesn't come on with ignition either the bulb has gone or there's a fundamental problem withe the ECU, such as no power to it.
Thanks mate, I have the ECU out of the car for the moment and will be on it with the multimeter, I have tested the bulb by means of swapping the one for the arrow to the eml and it does not illuminate yet the ex eml bulb now in the arrow does. Im going to probably swap the ECU with one out of my mates parts car and see what happens. Its got to be either a fried ECU or a failure of the electrics leading up to it surely?
P505DEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 16:03   #13
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P505DEF View Post
Its got to be either a fried ECU or a failure of the electrics leading up to it surely?
That's what I'd have thought, yes. My bet would be the latter, ECUs are famously reliable, unless you or someone else has done something silly with it I'd expect it to be sound. I'd be trying to get a pin-out diagram of the ECU and check for power, ground etc. at the right pins.
Old Oct 16th, 2021, 14:22   #14
P505DEF
Master Member

Default Fixed

Hi guys thanks for all your help

I replaced the ecu after a few multimeter tests ruled out other faults and she no starts first turn of the key and the EML now also works too! I detest electrical faults with a passion but I got there in the end. Thanks very much!
P505DEF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to P505DEF For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 15:50   #15
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

I thought you couldn't do that, ie just swap ECU units like that? I'd be wrong. Or does it get tricky with the later stuff?