Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil Sump plug thread worn

Views : 5479

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 25th, 2021, 18:42   #31
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
Rightly or wrongly I'm afraid I've got to a point in life where I'd look at this and do a mental calculation of what my time and stress levels are worth, and pursuing this wouldn't be worth the £400 quid to me.
I would however agree with you about letting others know which garage this was, there doesn't need to be wild allegations with that, just a straight report of what happened and how it was/wasn't resolved then others can make their own choices. Personally having had bad experiences with a national tyre chain (not relevant here but you can guess which) I'm more than happy to warn my family, friends and colleagues not to go there, that my sister still chooses to use them for everything is her problem.
same here with "tyre + Exhaust" place , have no issue saying "due to,, will Never recommend them"
and as said "after a resolution" whichever way that is, as I wouldnt wish the op to name them Until it is all settled , however that may turn out, the opportunity to sort out the damage they caused is there for them to take or not, and any "dealer X in So&so" Prior to a conclusion Could affect how they resolve it,

my money is on "there's the bill , pay up" and nothing else
Old Jun 1st, 2023, 23:42   #32
mack625
mackie

Smile The Outcome

After complaining to the dealer in a letter and receiving a phone call back with them not accepting responsibility I contact the Motor Ombudsman for them to decide. I'm happy to confirm the ombudsman agreed with me that it was unlikely the thread would be worn on a vehicle with low mileage and being removed only 13 times, that the likely course would be from being crossed threaded or over torqued. I have received a full refund from the dealer.
mack625 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to mack625 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 2nd, 2023, 10:04   #33
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
Why risk a helicoil if a new sump is available? Helicoil is what you turn to when all reasonable options are exhausted, not a first port of call.

Unless its been to the same garage for evdry single service from new its impossible to establish where the damage may have originally occurred.
A helicoil repair will be just as strong as the original if not stronger, and a sump plug is never tightened to the full "strength" a thread of this size can deal with anyway.
Old Jun 2nd, 2023, 15:08   #34
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Well done for not just rolling over and accepting it.😉

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401
Since when did a mechanic doing an oil change actually torque tighten the sump drain plug...
Hey now, I always do that! 😅

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen
...the motor car is a 13 year old machine that has been in daily use and probably stored outside.
What's that got to do with the price of fish? There's hundreds of 'will it run?' videos on youtube of 50+ year old cars sat in a field for most of that time, and the sump plug threads are fine when changing the oil.

Quote:
The service manager has said all the right things to support a very strong legal defence (whether forum correspondents believe him or not is of no consequence, it would just be up to a county court judge who may have no knowledge of running a garage). If the service manager stands up in the county court judge's chambers and says what he told mack625 then the arbiter would have to believe he was lying to find in favour of the accuser.
It's not a very strong defence saying that them removing and refitting the sump plug 13 times has worn the thread out. The low mileage supports the fact only they have fingered it.

The 'we always have two people check the sump bolts' is easy to debunk by checking the CCTV footage covering the garage bays, or just having someone go there undercover and watching through the big glass window.