Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Total disaster when trying to change cam belt 2.0d

Views : 1433

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 09:24   #1
BertoneP

Default Total disaster when trying to change cam belt 2.0d

Hi,
When trying to change the cam belt on my 2008 C70 2.0d, I stupidly took of the right hand side tensioner to get clearance to remove the upper plastic cam cover.

The tensioner is the one on the right side that is not spring loaded and that is sitting in a metal bracket and held on with a long screw to the engine block opposite to the tensioner that is spring loaded.

As a consequence the belt slackened and the crank turned. Not sure if the crank turned clock wise or anti clockwise, and not sure how many teeth it jumped.

I managed to reinstall the tensioner, but when trying to turn the engine over to reach TDC, and lock it in place at the cam and flywheel, after some turns, the engine will not turn any longer because it is out of synch and I guess some cylinder is pressing on to the valves.

How do I solve this problem ?

I removed the starter motor so I see the flywheel coggs.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Cheers
BertoneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 13:50   #2
BertoneP

Hi again.
Did 4 tests. Losened up the belt tensioner and rotated the crank to -1, -3, +1 and +3 cms vs the original position. Then tightened the tensioner. And turned the crank clockwise.

In all 4 tests the cam sprocket hole turned from 10:00 (original position) to 11:00 o'clock and no further...as you know the cam sprocket hole needs to rotate until approx 16:00 to be locked at TDC.

What can I do next ?
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 17:12   #3
cancunia

I don't have experience with your engine, so just some thoughts about how to proceed.

I would try to turn the camshaft & crankshaft independently of each other a little at a time, if the camshaft gets stopped, maybe turning the crankshaft back or forwards a little will allow a bit of forwards movement on the camshaft.

If you take the cam belt off, can you turn the camshaft sprocket forwards, then follow with the crankshaft? I don't think turning the camshaft backwards is a good idea due to possible issues with a camchain tensioner but am not certain about this. You should be able to turn the crankshaft backwards a little though, as you've already done this to some extent.

Last edited by cancunia; Oct 23rd, 2021 at 17:14.
cancunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 17:38   #4
BertoneP

Ok, then the plan would be to:
1) loosen up the belt so that camshaft and crankshaft can move independently
2) rotate the cam and/or crankshaft back and forth so that the camshaft pin hole advances from 10 to 16 o'clock to be locked
3) hopefully and when locking the camshaft, the crankshaft can be locked also since it has got into the correct position too
4) tighten the belt and remove both pins
5) rotate the engine at least 2 complete turns clockwise and verify that the 2 pins can be inserted into the 2 slots at cam and crankshaft after rotation

If so, are there any risks that the engine be more out of alignment than at start of procedure ?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by BertoneP; Oct 23rd, 2021 at 17:40.
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 19:25   #5
cancunia

Hopefully someone with knowledge of this engine will add some comments, but based on you points above:

1, Either loosen the belt enough so that the cam & crank can turn independently, perhaps even take the belt off.

2, I don't recommend turning the camshaft backwards.

As per my other post, I'm not an expert with this engine.
cancunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 09:15   #6
BertoneP

Just thought of a similar procedure....

To know the location of the cylinders I remove the 4 injectors and insert 4 wooden thin sticks into the cylinders.

I then try to turn the crank so that all 4 cylinders are more or less in the middle of the stroke so that the cam can move without touching any piston.
Then I find cam TDC and lock with pin. And then move cylinder 1 to TDC and lock flywheel.
Then i tighten the belt and remove pins and do 2 or 3 full rotations of the engine to see if i got it right.

What do you think ??
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 13:34   #7
BertoneP

I mean pistons...not cylinders in my post above....sorry
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 17:23   #8
BertoneP

Latest news...

Removed cylinder 1 and 2 injectors.
Inserted 2 wooden sticks...25 cm long and 3 mm thick to the cylinder holes.
Slackened the cam belt.
Turned the crank clockwise so that both wood pins were even in hight...in theory this would mean that cam can now move freely without hitting any piston, right ?
Moving the crank did not take a lot of force.

Then I got into problems and doubts...

I tried to rotate the cam clockwise from position 11:00 to 16:00 o'clock with a 16 mm spanner but noted a strong resistance....I feared putting in more force if perhaps I would mess something up.

Is the cam to move with little force or is it rather hard to rotate ?

Thanks for your help.
Old Oct 25th, 2021, 15:11   #9
BertoneP

Finally got it right !!!

I just rotated the cam with some extra bit of force and the cam turned over and stopped to TDC by itself.
So the force pattern to twist the cam goes from easy to hard then easy...or hard then easy then hard etc depending on the position of the cram...as you would expect taking into account the cam lobes shape..you can actually feel the valve springs making resistance when turning....

Anyway...pinned down cam and flywheel to TDC with the 2 metal pins, installed and tensioner the belt, took out pins and rotated the engine 2 times (did this twice) and checked alignment again at TDC with the 2 pins...spot on !!!! What a relief !!!!

So now it's time to change the bl...y belt

To be continueed....

Thanks all for your help and support.
The Following User Says Thank You to BertoneP For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2021, 18:57   #10
BertoneP

Just to let you all know that we had a happy ending

The car runs smoothly and with no errors.....well just a tiny one...the injector of cyl 2 is leaking a little bit....I guess I need to remove it and retighten the inlet harder....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BertoneP For This Useful Post: