Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 850 S

Views : 441

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 09:52   #1
Eight50

Default Volvo 850 S

Can anybody tell me the engine specs on this, I know it’s the bigger 2.5 engine but no turbo I believe?
Would that make it have better fuel economy than a T5 then and if so what about mpg 25 maybe?
Also is the engine a bit stronger in this model or am I imagining it.
Finally there aren’t many about so are they a little bit rarer than the T5s.
Oh and finally finally could a turbo be added easy enough if I decided economy wasn’t a factor and I wanted it T5 performance.
Reason I’m asking is I’ve just picked one up with 50 0dd thousand on clock.
To say I’m happy is an understatement .
I’d really appreciate any help please.
Eight50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 11:12   #2
richmac

Congratulations! This car would normally have the 2.5 10 valve non turbo engine. If you don't mind posting the following, I'm sure we can help you further:

1. Registration number or year.
2. A photo of the engine.
3. A photo of the small plaque near the battery (normaly black with silver type).

Photo and year will normally be enough for us as you can get the VIN decoded yourself easily online and that will tell you exactly what you have.

Best regards,

Rich.
richmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to richmac For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 22:10   #3
GrahamHR

I remember having one, an estate, as a Hertz hire car in 1995. A 2.5. I think it was a very impressive car at the time.

When I inherited a 850 GLT estate as a company car about 1 year later before I could order a new company car I was expecting great things. The 2 litre engine it had was absolutely gutless. An awful car. I opted for a 1998 V70 2.5 SE Estate in that awful turquoise colour; my daughters choice It was OK though.

Then a 2001 V70 2.4, with 170 hp. What an awful car, trim, engine control issues and woefully inadequate tyre size.

Then a 2004 V60 D5; electronic problems due to water ingress into the wiring loom. So I left Volvo ownership .........................

...............only to return in 2016. My V60 Polestar is not a paragon of electronic excellence !

Last edited by GrahamHR; Oct 23rd, 2021 at 22:25.
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamHR For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 09:20   #4
Eight50

Good to have some balance and not all Fanboy gushings.
It’s not my first 850 though and I’m a great fan but maybe this one will just need a couple of changes.
Eight50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2021, 10:08   #5
richmac

Hi,

Thanks for the PM; I'm unable to PM back unfortunately. No matter, sounds like a nice very late 850 on paper. The only thing I would recommend checking on or prior to collection is what work has been done to rectify the recurring ABS issue.

BR.
richmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to richmac For This Useful Post: