Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 s?

Views : 462

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 10:01   #1
Eight50

Default 850 s?

Can anybody tell me the engine specs on this, I know it’s the bigger 2.5 engine but no turbo I believe?
Would that make it have better fuel economy than a T5 then and if so what about mpg 25 maybe?
Also is the engine a bit stronger in this model or am I imagining it.
Finally there aren’t many about somare they a little bit rarer than the T5s.
Oh and finally finally could a turbo be added easy enough if I decided economy wasn’t a factor and I wanted it T5 performance.
Reason I’m asking is I’ve just picked one up with 50 0dd thousand on clock.
To say I’m happy is an understatement .
I’d really appreciate any help please.
Eight50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 11:43   #2
4x4
Premier Member

The 2.5 litre engine comes with two different power outputs

10v engine code 5252S with an output of 142bhp
20v engine code 5254S with an output of 168bhp

Fuel consumption will be slightly better than a turbo model but nowhere as good as a modern car

All the 850 engines are long lived, not sure there is any info that the 2.5 is stronger

The "S" models were lower specification models and have no idea how rare they are now but they won't be as desirable as the T5 variants

850 models were:- (low to high specification) (excluding turbo models)

850S
850SE
850GLT
850GLE
850CD

No point fitting a turbo, more bother than it's worth, just buy a turbo model and save yourself the headaches

This is the only brochure pages I have for the 850S model

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 850s1.JPG (327.8 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 850s2.JPG (325.0 KB, 59 views)
Volvo 850 GLT website

Last edited by 4x4; Oct 23rd, 2021 at 13:56.
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 14:01   #3
volvo again
Master Member

My V70 auto has the 2.5 20valve engine and does 30.5 average mpg...if this helps.
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 23:26   #4
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

With these being cars of another era, thus real-world, you'll not get much better that 31-33mpg. Short runs, and it's not hard to see 24-25mpg. Spend what you like, change what you like, you'll not see any return on the investment.

If you're capable of doing a decent job, an LPG conversion used to be stellar advice. Provided you don't lash it up, it'll give you real returns, yet with pumps getting harder to find, even this advice whilst still valid, is being outmoded.

Face it: in not trying to impress people you don't even like, you're not paying for a stitch-up lease agreement, hence looked after your car won't suffer depreciation. Your insurance is low. As are parts prices.

Yes we know you want it cheaper, yet over a year, adding-up what you DON'T pay, the pile of carp we all choose to drive is cheap motoring. Damned cheap.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Oct 23rd, 2021 at 23:37.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CNGBiFuel For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 09:04   #5
Eight50

Question

100% with you on that one, about driving a paid for car that’s not ticked up,to the eyeballs just to look successful.
If people want to judge be by the car I drive then they really need to look at themselves first and not me.Anyway who wants to be normal,not for me that one.
Also,yes mpg isn’t the only formula to work out economy,overall running costs is what counts real world.
I’ve sent you a pm regarding lpg for me .

Last edited by Eight50; Oct 24th, 2021 at 09:53.
Eight50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 09:38   #6
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Yes, drive about heralding a lack of self-esteem, why don't you? Seems we are minded the same. I suspect if I see it, you own it. I've replied via your PM about LPG. It's all about the install. Done badly, it promises a woeful experience, and all the bad things you hear are true. I've just pulled-out such a thing, it was 'orrible. I strongly suspect the LPG damaged it. Done right, not much is better.

When you've a million+ sitting in your garage, and it's paid for, well - bully for you. If you're the idiot with a £25K car and it's not yours, it says all we need to know.

Somehow, it's obvious which is which.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Oct 24th, 2021 at 10:28.
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 10:26   #7
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

I had a V70R that had a superb LPG installation - it actually ran better on LPG than petrol. It was so good that when I bought my 850R, I was considering installing LPG on that once I'd completed the Stage 0 work... but the lack of LPG pumps these days is colouring that view. I only know of two now

Apparently there is no profit in LPG so the petrol stations are removing them.

Morrisons used to have a policy of putting LPG in all their petrol stations - I don't know if that is still the case?

Its annoying that LPG is being overlooked as a 'green' fuel, because its emissions are so clean. But, HMG still views it as a fossil fuel, so its the spawn of the devil and isn't being promoted as a clean option.

If you're still interested in LPG, this fella ( http://www.lpgc.co.uk/index.htm ) knows how to set up an LPG system. He is old school - he sits in the passenger seat with his laptop hooked up to the ECU and programs the LPG ECU on the move. Sounds innocuous enough, but it means that you have to drive through all the extremes - very very gentle pull away, slightly faster, up to carpet mashing - and he wants to get the data all the way up the rpm range lol. So that means finding a stretch of quiet road and nailing it up to... quite high speeds in a V70R! It did the trick though, it was a fantastic LPG tune.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 10:38   #8
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Yes, that's it right there. Simon has a good reputation, or you could grab the mess I sourced recently. Complete with valve damage, it really is about the install.

AS RT has it, I've done 450,000 on my factory installed car, and less than 5000 of that would have been on liquid. That's a lot of money saved, and it ran very well. Smoother than liquid. Modern sytems are set to add petrol when you want the grunt. Thus the grunt-loss you'd suffer on older systems is removed. 98% gas, and for the remaining 2%, the LPG shuts down, and it's a petrol car for overtaking, and uphill towing etc etc.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Oct 24th, 2021 at 10:42.
The Following User Says Thank You to CNGBiFuel For This Useful Post: