Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice on tyres please

Views : 491

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 17:31   #1
wynnj
Master Member

Default Advice on tyres please

Having driven S60s and a V70 for 16 years now I became a new owner to a 2007 XC90 D5 (133K miles) a few months ago, and on the whole am pleased with it. I've flushed the auto box with the correct mobil ATF which improved the gear change though it still thumps on a light throttle upchanging from 3rd to 4th (annoyingly at ~32mph) when hot but I'm living with it at present, and apart from sorting a few electrical issues, have changed the cam and auxilliaries belts and all their pulleys using volvo parts bought from FRF in Swansea.

I'm soon going to need at least two new tyres on the XC and probably retracking.

I run the S60 and V70 on Goodyear asymetrics and am generally very happy with them.
The xc90 currently has 235/60 R18 103s fitted:- AVON ZX7s on the front which need to be changed (outside edges wearing) and Bridgestone Dueler HPSport on the rear both of which are wearing true having been fitted about a year ago and have lots of tread left. (They're marked as MO i.e. for Mercedes!!)

Most of the online tyre sites bring up 235/60r18 107 s as the preferred tyre for this car but I've no way of knowing what it was fitted with originally.

My quandry is should I just fit two more Bridgestone 235/60r18 103s as my cheapest safe option, or should I change all four and fit 107 rated All Season tyres all round, and if the latter, apart from the hit on my bank balance, are there any downsides to running AS tyres all year?

I can't say I'm too impressed with the XC's general handling and stabilty, but realise that that may be just a comparison to the S60, or the fact that it's currently got mixed tyres and a probable tracking error.

All help gratefully received.
Thanks in advance

Last edited by wynnj; Oct 23rd, 2021 at 17:44.
wynnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 17:49   #2
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

By 'tracking' do you mean front wheel alignment, or a proper 4 wheel geometry job?

Without 4 new of nearly or nearly new boots its not possible to do a really accurate alignment job. You can do front wheel alignment with a perfectly matched pair, but thats about it. But then thats not helpful as on a heavy car you want the best tyres on the back, on the basis that understeer is annoying, but sudden oversteer is ofter deadly.

The handling isn't brilliant, but the ride is nicer than a contemporary X5. If a little better handling and sharper steering is a priority then buyers had the choice of the R Design. Indeed, having had an older XC90 myself the R Design was deliberately my choice for the second one for that reason. Whatever, its a 2.2 tonne SUV with a lofty C of G and drivers need to accept ots never going to corner in the same league as a decent handling saloon or hatch.
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 18:04   #3
wynnj
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
By 'tracking' do you mean front wheel alignment, or a proper 4 wheel geometry job?
Thanks Familyman. Yes I was referring primarily to the front wheel alignment as the rears seem to be wearing true. I am going to get a 4 wheel check done once I've resolved what to do about whether to fit new tyres all round or just on the front, and whether to stick with 103 rated sidewalls or change to 107s.
wynnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 19:51   #4
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

UK 18" XC90's were fitted as standard with 103V Conti UHP's if I remember (a dreadful tyre IMO) ... if you find the 103, a bit wallowie (is that a word?) then the 107's will firm it a little but not much, (I used Nokian "Z - SUV" 107's and found them very acceptable)

All seasons ... depends what you want out of your tyres , not as good as summers in the summer, and not as good as winters in the winter, but personally I have used and like

Nokian Weatherproof SUV, my pick of the bunch for all seasons

Bridgestone WEATHER CONTROL A005 EVO, very good but not as long lasting as the Nokians

Michelin CrossClimate excellent to start with but 2-3mm worn very nervous handling.

all my opinion.

Oh, and get a 4-wheel alignment done ... well worth what you pay for the work .. check the Hunter webpage for local sites that use the kit.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by TruckbusUK; Oct 23rd, 2021 at 19:55.
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TruckbusUK For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 08:06   #5
Chunk11

I have Goodyear wrangler all terrain tyres on mine. These are similar to all season tyres and have done me fine over the last 4 years and 30,000 miles. They have been rotated front to rear twice and are all currently sitting with just over 4mm left.
Great tyre and cheap for a premium brand tyre. Being all terrain it has a slight ‘off road knobbly bobbly look’ which I think looks good on the XC90.
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 08:47   #6
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post

Without 4 new of nearly or nearly new boots its not possible to do a really accurate alignment job. You can do front wheel alignment with a perfectly matched pair, but thats about it. But then thats not helpful as on a heavy car you want the best tyres on the back, on the basis that understeer is annoying, but sudden oversteer is ofter deadly.

The handling isn't brilliant, but the ride is nicer than a contemporary X5. If a little better handling and sharper steering is a priority then buyers had the choice of the R Design. Indeed, having had an older XC90 myself the R Design was deliberately my choice for the second one for that reason. Whatever, its a 2.2 tonne SUV with a lofty C of G and drivers need to accept ots never going to corner in the same league as a decent handling saloon or hatch.
All of the modern laser/optical based alignment gear uses then wheel or rim to attach the device, so it doesn't matter whether the alignment is done with old or new tyres on the car, it would change the outcome. Some of the older systems with mirrors etc. do hang on the tyre but that's not worth paying for now compared to the accuracy of the modern technology based systems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDnpagHFLyQ
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 08:49   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

It all depends on whether you will need to use your car in bad weather... if so then definitely look at all seasons or even full winters.

FYI the new Goodyear All Seasons Vector is looking like a formidable alternative to the Cross Climates if you read all the tests...

If you're budget conscious then the Hankook and Cooper winters are very good value.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post: