Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Gears "Floating"!

Views : 629

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 21st, 2021, 16:36   #1
NMB
Volvo XC90 T6 & XC90 D5

Arrow Gears "Floating"!

Hi All,

My XC90 D5 is the 185 BHP and has the Asian Weiner 6 speed auto box installed with 178,000 miles.

Last year I did a gearbox oil flush and (foolishly) reset the adaptations and since then I have had what I can only describe as "floating" when going into 2nd & 3rd whereby it half engages and then drops into gear when at low revs / slight acceleration.

it's irritating me beyond belief as it's inconsistent as sometimes it snaps into gear nicely and other times is worse.

I have gone through programming the adaptations etc with start-stop through the revs etc but it's still not settled so to speak.

Now if I drive in manual I get absolutely no slip in any gear at all and it drives beautifully so I'm thinking that there is possibly an issue with the oil/level/pressure in the system for the auto system to opp[erate correctly?

So my question:

1) Should I do another oil change and re-programme the adaptations again through VIDA again? Perhaps I used the incorrect spec oil (I'm sure I didn't but...)
2) Should I do a flush with a gearbox additive to clean the crap out of the gearbox (Liqui Moly Certec I have purchased with this in mind). Then refill with fresh oil?
3) Is my gearbox just dieing and there is no point?

Thoughts, please!

nigel.

Last edited by NMB; Oct 21st, 2021 at 16:36. Reason: typo
NMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2021, 18:15   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Take a sample of the current state of the fluid. You can't eliminate that unless it's bright red, clean and clear.
Also, did you reset the fluid counter when you did the change?
Old Oct 21st, 2021, 19:34   #3
NMB
Volvo XC90 T6 & XC90 D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Take a sample of the current state of the fluid. You can't eliminate that unless it's bright red, clean and clear.
Also, did you reset the fluid counter when you did the change?
I will need to check the colour but I did a 20 litre fill and drain as per the videos posted so it was 99% replaced with manol fluid and the same volume of fluid was put in that was taken out.

I'm sure I did it correctly.

Yes, I did reset the fluid counter also.

The fact that the gear changes in manual with no-slip and there is a good gear changing when the revs are up suggested to me a stuck/sticking pressure value/solenoid?

Henc my thinking of a detergent clean of the gearbox.
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 21:19   #4
NMB
Volvo XC90 T6 & XC90 D5

I have checked the fluid I used and it is Manol and the right spec - so any thoughts?
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 22:35   #5
Danielpsmith
Master Member

Not sure if it helps but mine started doing similar about 10000 miles after a complete rebuild but upon changing the engine and they completely changed the gearbox oil again as it was out it solved it.

They did put genuine oil back in it not sure what they told me is true but they said other spec oil isn’t quite the same as what Volvo use please don’t moan at me for that only going by what I was told but it did drive a whole lot better after.
Not sure if the oil goes slightly thinner than Volvo oil and causes minor loss of pressure which causes it but only guessing.

When it was rebuilt it wasn’t Volvo oil in it only the right spec they told me. I changed the oil in my gearbox with a different oil over the years and it was ok but never quite right so I will be sticking to Volvo oil in the future.

Last edited by Danielpsmith; Oct 23rd, 2021 at 22:38.
Danielpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Danielpsmith For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2021, 11:28   #6
NMB
Volvo XC90 T6 & XC90 D5

Exclamation

Well, I'm going to do a 20-litre refill of the gearbox today using the following oil:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303081772419

I'm also going to use the Liqu Moly gearbox cleaner: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Liqui-Moly-...c=1&th=1&psc=1 fists - once I have cycled through the process for 10 mins I'll fill and drain until the 20 litres is used up which should give me completely clean fluid in the box.

I'll then reset the fluid counter and adaptations and take the car for a drive and follow the adaptation process.

Wish me luck - I'll report back later

Tags
floating, gearbox