Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine mount replacement

Views : 1172

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 19th, 2021, 13:54   #1
volvo again
Master Member

Default Engine mount replacement

About to change the engine mounts on my '99 V70, any tips or ideas welcomed...

Seems an easy job, remove bolts, lift engine, remove mounts and replace in reverse order, so the book of Haynes says...but I'm convinced the people at Haynes have never worked on a 23 yr old car....
Old Oct 19th, 2021, 15:35   #2
richmac

Hi,

If you mean the front right mount, it's really straight forward. The following FCP video shows it nicely even though it's on an 850. Have a look at Robert DIY's as well.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6FORM%3DHDRSC3

Tips:

1 Spray the bolts the day before.
2 Spread the load on the sump as much as possible with a wooden plank/block.
3. The old mount will come out really easily. Getting the new one in takes a bit of jiggling just to line up the lugs. Front lug first works well. The replacement mount might look subtly different but will fit as long as the part number matches.
4. Use a Volvo mount or you'll be doing it again soon.
5. Think about doing the torque rod at the same time and look at your upper mount as well as the 3 of them work together.

Best of luck,

Rich.
richmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to richmac For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 12:18   #3
JohnM 855 T5R
VOC Member

Changing all the mounts is very simple - just takes time and the bolts on the rear mount are a little fiddly to get to - 1 flat at a time with the spanners. As above, soak well in penetrating oil for a couple of days beforehand - do it a few times. Use top quality spanners / sockets as even with soaking in penetrating oil, they will be very tight to shift and the last thing you'll want is rounding the bolts.

Change all the mounts, including the torque rod to the gearbox and the top mounts on the engine and bulkhead. Note that the plate attached to the engine containing the top mount can become stretched causing the new mount to be a loose fit. If this is the case, you'll need a replacement plate - easy enough to change it - I did mine in 20 mins.

The main mounts at the bottom front and rear of the engine look similar but aren't - they are subtly different. Make sure you install them correctly otherwise the engine will sit at the wrong angle.
Genuine Volvo mounts are good but the ones obtainable from PFV are very good quality. I've used them and they last well.

Regards
John
11 C70 Solstice T5 Polestar
19 XC40 T5 R-Design Polestar
JohnM 855 T5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 15:34   #4
volvo again
Master Member

Thanks for the tips guys.

Have ordered all the bottom mounts, including the torque rod/gearbox mount, from PFS, the top one looks ok, doesn't seem to be any movement but will do it at the same time.

PFS quite reasonable on price too, and cheaper if you use their ebay shop

Last edited by volvo again; Oct 20th, 2021 at 16:56.
volvo again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 13:43   #5
volvo again
Master Member

Rear one is a pita ain't it? Who put the anti roll bar in the way... lol

Last edited by volvo again; Oct 22nd, 2021 at 13:52.
Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 13:56   #6
JohnM 855 T5R
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo again View Post
More help please...
Front mount changed fairly easy but rear is fighting back, is it necessary to remove the anti roll bar? Can get to bolt but at an angle & don't want to risk rounding it off.
Universal joint on socket helps but still not enough purchase to remove...
Removing roll bar seems quite involved.
Thanks
No, you don't need to remove the anti roll bar. Keep on spraying over and over with penetrating oil (not regular WD40). I use WD40 penetrant oil.

If you can, apply a little heat with a butane torch. That helps a great deal

If my memory serves me well, its a 19mm (or was it 17mm). Mine came off using a socket and ring spanner with much fiddling and cursing and perseverance along with 3 days of soaking, heat. To prevent rounding, I purchased a six point spanner and socket (as opposed to the usual 12 point). These will not slip or round off the bolt and give a very positive grip.

Regards
John

Last edited by JohnM 855 T5R; Oct 22nd, 2021 at 14:49.
Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 16:19   #7
Willow place

Well it is PITA !! I have a pit , and the socket (3/8 drive) would not fit in between the roll bar and I also had to take a small cross strut off and used a wooden wedge to open up enough space to actually get access .
Willow place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 10:43   #8
JohnM 855 T5R
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow place View Post
Well it is PITA !! I have a pit , and the socket (3/8 drive) would not fit in between the roll bar and I also had to take a small cross strut off and used a wooden wedge to open up enough space to actually get access .
It sure is a PITA but I didn't have any of that faff. Is there a subtle difference between the 850 and V70 I wonder?.

Also, for that tricky bolt, used a 6 point ring spanner, not a socket (couldn't get a socket on there).

John
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnM 855 T5R For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 15:51   #9
volvo again
Master Member

So the saga continues...
2nd attempt at replacing the rear mount failed, no way is that lower bolt on the steering rack goint to shift, had loads of Plusgas, don't know it it's actually getting onto the bolt threads, using 3/8 drive socket, u/j & extension, battery impact wrench, tried air impact all that did was break the extension bar...
Going to invest in 1/2 drive swivel socket & blow torch to get some heat on it, if that fails might have to cut bolt head off with dremel if it will fit in there, or move the anti roll bar so I can get straight onto the bolt, have thought of undoing the steering rack bolts & lifting it a bit to clear the sway bar...
Thoughts please.....

Last edited by volvo again; Nov 27th, 2021 at 16:02.
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 16:36   #10
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Volvo_again

I did front and rear lower mounts (not torque mount or RH mount under the crankshaft pulley) on my 1998 T5 Auto. It was difficult. I think it may be much easier on non turbos.

It was a while ago so I don't remember clearly.
I think I had to loosen the subframe front bolts and then slightly lower the rear of the subframe.
I am pretty sure I didn't touch anything to do with the power steering or the antiroll bar.
Is there a bracket in the way that had to be removed?
Is the problem undoing the lower or upper nut (or bolt) on the rear mount?
I think I ended up using a low profile socket (possibly 3/8 drive) to undo something - approaching from the top using a long extension.

Do you have the part numbers of the mounts that you are working with, then I can look up a diagram and I might remember more?

HTH
Steve

HTH
Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)

Last edited by SteveSarre; Nov 27th, 2021 at 16:40.
SteveSarre is online now   Reply With Quote