Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Front suspension spring issue!

Views : 729

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 29th, 2021, 22:01   #1
Redr0cket

Angry Front suspension spring issue!

Hello!

I am currently trying to replace a spring after the existing spring snapped. I have tried a NAPA spring that sat really wonky. So thinking it could be a fault with the spring, obtained a further two springs from different manufacturers, and both have the same issue. I have now come to the conclusion that it must be the shock top-cap (there is also a split in the rubber bush in this part) and wondered if anybody had come across this issue before? Basically, the spring is “bulging” completely the wrong way - towards the body of the car - to the extent it won’t actually allow the shock to go back on the car. The top cap is slanted significantly one way - it’s nowhere near flat when screwed onto the shock / spring. The top screw on the shock is also well off-centre to the extent it’s pressed against one side of the top cap.

I include some images. I plan to try and get new top cap (possibly a whole new shock assembly to rule any other issues) tomorrow - any further advice is appreciated.

https://flic.kr/p/2mvQ78M

Last edited by Redr0cket; Sep 29th, 2021 at 22:06.
Redr0cket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2021, 11:11   #2
ITSv40
VOC Member

Two things it could possibly be. Is the spring upside down? if so, it will bulge to one side and foul on the inner wing. When the spring is the right way up it will sit true to the strut and parallel to the strut piston. Secondly, have you lined up the top mount with the strut correctly? there is a small hole drilled in the bottom spring seat on the strut and there is also a corresponding hole in the top mount - these two holes should line up with one another. if the car is a T4 I think the holes are slightly out of line, but not sure of the spec.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2021, 11:58   #3
Redr0cket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Two things it could possibly be. Is the spring upside down? if so, it will bulge to one side and foul on the inner wing. When the spring is the right way up it will sit true to the strut and parallel to the strut piston. Secondly, have you lined up the top mount with the strut correctly? there is a small hole drilled in the bottom spring seat on the strut and there is also a corresponding hole in the top mount - these two holes should line up with one another. if the car is a T4 I think the holes are slightly out of line, but not sure of the spec.
Thanks - I’ll double check. It’s a 2003 V40 Sport.
Redr0cket is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shock, spring, suspension, top cap