Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Start button intermittently not working

Views : 8841

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 30th, 2021, 10:11   #21
JGEM

Default Intermittent key

No solution sorry, and still living with the problem. Lately it is either the key not working the first couple of times it is inserted, or sometimes when the car is turned off there is reluctance to release the key. My wife's key is OK, it seems to happen just with my key.

Also, my key seems to be chewing through batteries - I've replaced the battery twice in the last 6 months and tonight I got a warning message advising that the key fob battery needed replacing. In fact, when I got home I could not lock the car and had to go inside to get my wife's key.

The CR2430 battery Volvo use is uncommon in NZ - no supermarket battery sections stock that size and I have to go to an electronic gadget store (Jaycar) to get a replacement battery.
JGEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2021, 17:27   #22
JGEM

Default Battery change

Changed the battery yesterday in my key fob remote and it's behaving OK again. Battery number 3 in 6 months is a bit crazy though. I wonder if the batteries I am buying from Jaycar are rubbish? (Eclipse brand lithium battery)
Old Nov 1st, 2021, 17:42   #23
Adrian B

I bought some button type Panasonic's. They did not last long! May have been a poor quality batch Now trying Duracell's.
Changing the battery is a cheap option to be tested by yourself!
Adrian B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2023, 04:35   #24
mcdelucia

Default 2010 XC 60 Start button intermittent no start

Hello All:

I have had the same described intermittent problem on my 2010 XC 60 -original owner. Both key Fobs with new batteries. Eventually, after removal, flipping position, foot on and off the break pedal --it will start. this has been going on for greater than a year. Temperature and sitting for a couple of days does not seem to be a cause because it is random. Main battery is new. No dash lights or warning bells (seat belt) occurs when this fault happens. once it self fixes itself dash lights up, indicator bells sounds and car starts right up. I recently moved to a much warmer climate and it seems to happen daily versus going a week or two. I have not spoken to the dealer service yet as I fear a costly which hunt. But I have had Volvos consistently over the past 30 years and always serviced them at the same dealership so hoping they will give me some genuine insights as they usually do. Think I am going to call them soon to see what they think. THANKS

In the meantime if anyone has sorted this out --a reply would be greatly appreciated. My hunch is a faulty relay sending low fuel pressure message.
mcdelucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2023, 07:20   #25
JGEM

Default Key problem goes on..

Having started this thread over 4 years ago I am still living with the intermittent start button problem, mostly (but not always)on my spare key.

What has got much worse is that spare key is going through the batteries at an appalling rate - they are losing their mojo now within a week or two. I have tried different brands and also tried cleaning the battery contacts with a cotton bud dipped in contact cleaner but no improvement.

A new key on my high mileage 14 year old car is like 10%+ of the cars market value. Out of interest annual comprehensive insurance is like another 10% of the market value, so I'm thinking of dropping back to 3rd party insurance only and hope that I don't get crashed into by some uninsured bozo. (The problem is of course is that those sort of people are usually the very drivers likely to be in an accident....) OK, digressing off topic...
Old Jun 19th, 2023, 15:01   #26
mcdelucia

Hello John:

Thanks for your reply. I have been living with this issue for 1+ years. At first the fob would not release. That does not happen any more. Fortunately my wife does not use this as he gets to drive our new 2023 XC 60 that is really sweet!

Going to replace the batteries with fresh ones. Also going to speak with local VOLVO Dealer service. If I have any progress-- I will surely post on this thread.

MDeL
mcdelucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2023, 20:48   #27
St Evelyn
VOC Member

I had similar issue when I had my 2011 S80 - it was a manual so you had to dip the clutch to start the ignition.

Took it in to Volvo and they checked the clutch sensor, said that it was within tolerance but a little sticky so replaced it - never had an issue again after that. Might be worth checking the brake / clutch sensor if you've not done so already.

Current - 2017 V90 D4 Inscription
Previous - 2011 S80 D3
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to St Evelyn For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2023, 20:45   #28
Hotravco

Default Now I’m getting this too!

Yesterday this started happening to me too on my 2009 XC60 AWD D5 !

Wish someone could come up with a solution…
Hotravco is offline   Reply With Quote