Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wet-weather headache?

Views : 957

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 12th, 2010, 19:49   #1
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Default Wet-weather headache?

Is the Valdez the only B230F-equipped 940 that doesn't like seriously wet weather?

Three times now I've had the same problem - loss of power, like a failed carburettor diaphragm on an SU/Stromberg, leading to parking up on the hard shoulder. When the breakdown man arrives the car starts and runs perfectly, presumably because the car's had 30 minutes to dry out.

Last time out the recovery man suggested damp-proofing the distributor cap assembly as rain is being thrown into the distributor assembly, which is at the back of the camshaft and not where it was always intended to be on the side of the block. This has been done, but I've not had any sufficiently nasty weather to evaluate the solution.

Anyone else got any bright ideas?

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 22:22   #2
roadcar2000

Funny never suffered that problem. Thought back of the engine was the driest spot.Had a Cortina once that behaved identically to yours. Feeling stupid when AA arrive and it bursts into life. On Early Mini's and 1100's had same same thing because the distributor was right behind the grille. Used to solve it by putting a plastic bag over the distributor and secure it with an elastic band. Don't suppose any of that is any real help. Just the ramblings of an old man. Good luck with your boot full of dampstart.
roadcar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 19:40   #3
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

I have read somewhere that water in the head mounted distributor was a problem. Water runs off the bonnet seal apparently.
My later 940 has a different seal to the early car.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 22:53   #4
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Default Success - or hubris?

Well, after today's impersonation by the weather gods of St. Swithin's month it appears that the Valdez's ignition system is water-tight. It looks like the really sensible location of the distributor (on the back of the camshaft) really is sensible - if the assembly is waterproofed beforehand.

Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 16:59   #5
Oilydad
Premier Member

Cool

Silly question but are you sure it's the Distributor? Never had this in over 100,000 miles in 940's. As others have said, the end of the camshaft is a pretty hot and watertight spot when the engine is running.

Same symptoms would also suggest a failing fuel injector relay. Take it out, tap it, put it back. If the car starts, there's your problem.

Only safe cure is a new one.
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 03:23   #6
oman5

I've had this problem with my 740 glt 16v. it starts to lose power and you have to change down to keep the speed up, misfiring etc. It's only ever done it in VERY wet weather
oman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 11:57   #7
jamies volvo
my other volvo is........

Yup,book,tee shirt,film,porous dizzy cap!
jamies volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 17:16   #8
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilydad View Post
Silly question but are you sure it's the Distributor? Never had this in over 100,000 miles in 940's. As others have said, the end of the camshaft is a pretty hot and watertight spot when the engine is running.

Same symptoms would also suggest a failing fuel injector relay. Take it out, tap it, put it back. If the car starts, there's your problem.

Only safe cure is a new one.
General concensus among the recovery men (3 separate incidents) is that the dizzy is the culprit, not least because it only happens when someone dumps half the Atlantic over the M56/M6 around the Thelwall fireduck. In dry weather there's no trace of ignition-system misbehaviour.

If it is the relay I'll need to find it first, and the handbook is of hee-haw use on this subject. Methinks that the sustainable forestry product will have to go back into the Valdez's load area...