Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

my volvo 850se journal

Views : 12682

Replies : 73

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 26th, 2023, 21:36   #61
duke1
mad mechanic

Default please can anyone help?

hi all well the seemingly never ending saga of the evil abs light continues! the new abs pump came from germany its used but tested and has a guarantee i fitted it and hated every damn second brake fluid everywhere and its really not an easy job for me with one hand and a wonky sore neck,even worse is to do all this
front reluctor rings both front wheel speed sensors,tested and cleaned rear sensors checked reluctor rings and all look good,tested rear sensors where they connect in the back and checked continuity of the wires all the way to the abs module.
a replacement abs module,replaced abs relay,rechecked all related fuses all good.
no reaction to the wiggling of ignition key and all the other systems working fine.
please can anyone suggest anything ive missed? this is early 1994 so the german ate make abs and said to be more reliable than the later type 94 on.
anyone? i sure am ****ed off with the evil one. :evil:
Old Oct 29th, 2023, 22:21   #62
duke1
mad mechanic

just for my records the car had the 4 wheel tracking done and 2 new front tyres fitted avons and they grip pretty good in the rain.
so the only note on mot is the delta link bushes and i do not have the tool so if anyone has one i can rent it would help?
also found the clutch slave cylinder weeping and ordered a new one.
got a refund for the brake position sensor that did not work and spent it in 2 minutes on the slave cylinder!
Old Jan 5th, 2024, 20:10   #63
duke1
mad mechanic

Default i found rocking horse pooh!

hi all well after a good couple of years of hunting i have found and purchased a good clean non baggy headliner/headlining for the 855 out of a 1998 v70 i got to take it out myself and between downpours i somehow managed to get it home in one piece and still dry!
today i investigated the water ingress causing the damage to the headliner before i fit it and was chuffed to find all 6 roof bar securing bolts came undone without breaking/rounding off and as suspected it seems the seals have rotted away and due to prolonged exposure the water is making its way in through the screw threads and inside the car i have some black seal material and will make the seals and ensure there is no water ingress before fitting the replacement liner,i pray it fits but got to be worth a punt for £65 aye?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drobes 05 01 24 001.JPG (189.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg drobes 05 01 24 002.JPG (252.3 KB, 13 views)
Old Jan 5th, 2024, 20:46   #64
ITSv40
VOC Member

That does look clean 👍
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2024, 17:12   #65
duke1
mad mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
That does look clean 👍
hi yes just a few cobwebs and a tiny bit along the front needs a little reglue the trick now is keeping it like that till i can fit it,its so big and cant bend it so storage is a pain as only place it fits is the hallway right in the way of the door!
but on the brightside today i got the roofbars removed and no broken bolts all 6 rusty as hell but came undone ok,got some good strong velcro tape and superglue for mending the broken plastic bits and just need a good dry day now and shall enjoy binning that horrid old rotten baggy thing!
i shall get pics as i go along,cheers
Old Jan 11th, 2024, 17:53   #66
El Padrino

Hi duke1, I've been reading your 850 SE journal from the start and what an interesting read it's been. You are sure making a lot of effort in keeping your car going. I'm doing the same too with my V70R. We touched base on your other thread about our intermittent ABS light issue and glad to read you may have resolved yours.

I had a new n/s/f ABS sensor fitted, along with two new front reluctor rings. They were fitted before Christmas. I also had the n/s/f tyre changed as it was worn, in readiness for a long trip to visit family during the Christmas period. Since then, the ABS light has only come on once. After turning off the engine and parking her up for the day, the ABS light was still on the following morning, but went out after about 30 secs when driving out of my street and it hasn't come on since. I hope doing those things has solved the issue and hope it stays away.
El Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to El Padrino For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2024, 16:00   #67
duke1
mad mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
That does look clean 👍
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Padrino View Post
Hi duke1, I've been reading your 850 SE journal from the start and what an interesting read it's been. You are sure making a lot of effort in keeping your car going. I'm doing the same too with my V70R. We touched base on your other thread about our intermittent ABS light issue and glad to read you may have resolved yours.

I had a new n/s/f ABS sensor fitted, along with two new front reluctor rings. They were fitted before Christmas. I also had the n/s/f tyre changed as it was worn, in readiness for a long trip to visit family during the Christmas period. Since then, the ABS light has only come on once. After turning off the engine and parking her up for the day, the ABS light was still on the following morning, but went out after about 30 secs when driving out of my street and it hasn't come on since. I hope doing those things has solved the issue and hope it stays away.
hi yes im thought of esp by the missus as completely nuts doing so much to such an old and fairly ugly looking car! but its the car i always wanted but could never afford,28 yrs later and this one came along and i bought sight unseen with zero history a short mot and running during the first lockdown paid too much then spent twice that fixing her up,now i have a car i can get in and go anywhere i like and know i can make it,unlike my previous car for 10 yrs which was untrustworthy and only me being diy mechanic was it even still going. this is my car for the rest of my life.
re the abs i fixed it then unplugged the abs module as i truly despise abs and never had it or wanted it on any car ive owned,hopefully it will work next time i need mot by just connecting it up again,see i really wanted a 940 or 240 something rwd but could not find one i could afford!good luck with yours i hope it co operates. cheers
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 13:45   #68
duke1
mad mechanic

Default water ingress any ideas peeps?

hi all well i been racking my brains trying to stop water getting in this damn car ,so far i have removed and replaced all the seals on the roofbars and replaced the door seals but still i have water getting in high up,ie headlining and the little plastic coin tray next drivers seat are soaking wet,thankfully ive not yet fitted the replacement headlining because ive been ill and weather has not helped.
are these known for windscreen leaking? i have tried some seek and seal to no avail.
if anyone can help id be grateful,heres a couple of pics of the old girl halfway through a polish then it rained!cheers all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car 001.jpg (184.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg car 002.JPG (381.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg car 003.JPG (370.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg car 004.JPG (382.2 KB, 8 views)
Old Feb 21st, 2024, 16:48   #69
duke1
mad mechanic

hi all im getting the old(94) volvo 850 ready for a trackday for my 60th birthday and am in need of wheels the current ones are steel 15 inch 5 stud if anyone has any lying around i will buy them provided i can collect in person and pay cash as too many damn scammers about!thanks.
Old Mar 7th, 2024, 15:05   #70
duke1
mad mechanic

Default headlining replacemt started,old one out!

hi all well at long last it seems to have stopped raining!so i have made a good start on replacing the horrid wet smelly baggy headlining on my old 850se,only badly broken one piece of the brittle plastic trim though several pieces where broken and only held together with the various fastenings and as soon as you undo them bits of plastic fall down!
after a jigsaw puzzle i worked out where the bits came from and have done my best to superglue them back in place. i have ordered some new soundproofing stuff as all the original has come unstuck and hanging.
looks a right mess at the moment but i think it is worth the effort as i intend to keep this car going till i die or it dies,the missus is great and only had a minimal moan at me spending even more on this allready expensive project,a car for life needs work after 30 yrs and 160k miles,pics when im done no point posting the utter mess atm!im on a tea break as i have copd and get tired real quick but can still fix cars just slowly is all!

Tags
850, 855, journal, restore