Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

my volvo 850se journal

Views : 12602

Replies : 73

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 12th, 2023, 14:57   #51
volvo2
Master Member

Not too sure what your issue is but if this is related to the ABS unit and the warning light intermittently coming on, there are two versions of the ABB controller. If like me you have the older metal plug in version, as far as I know it does not have the solder joint problem. What can happen is that there could be a bad connection on one of the pins that plug in, or the earth strap on the engine is faulty. For the former, you could try cleaning the pins with a wire brush and contact cleaner. That worked for me.
volvo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2023, 14:21   #52
duke1
mad mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo2 View Post
Not too sure what your issue is but if this is related to the ABS unit and the warning light intermittently coming on, there are two versions of the ABB controller. If like me you have the older metal plug in version, as far as I know it does not have the solder joint problem. What can happen is that there could be a bad connection on one of the pins that plug in, or the earth strap on the engine is faulty. For the former, you could try cleaning the pins with a wire brush and contact cleaner. That worked for me.
hi yes metal type unit and no sign of obvious problems but i cannot quit now after so much work but admit to being a bit disheartened after changing the abs module and relay,front 2 sensors and reluctor rings trying to clear intermittent abs light on,now after i finish its on and never going out!
,i never give up and feel i have learned a little about how and where the abs bits are and how to test some of it with the meter and also learned of the obd1 and how to use it,thats another weird thing mine only has 3 live terminals 3 which is abs 7 ignition and 5 fuel system.
i tested them for codes and got 1 1 1 on terminal 5 but theres nothing no life at all when connected to number 7 i been through all the fuses cleaned and replaced any corroded ones with nice new ones so should be all good there,not really bothered though as touchwood that bit works just fine.
the relay thing sort of follows the pattern of problems the old girl has had,fuel pump relay,fan control relay and several others i forgot what they do all faulty i guess due to old age more than anything,fingers crossed as im all out of ideas if im wrong.
my tina had a little moan about how much i have spent on the car but it is also therapy for me and stops me dying of boredom,its hard as tinas condition means it hurts going out and have to take her wheelchair so the volvo is perfect comfy and has room for chair and room for grandkids etc and besides i do not think i could find a better car than we will end up with in the end,whenever that is.......any ideas welcomed!cheers
Old Aug 14th, 2023, 15:25   #53
volvo2
Master Member

It is amazing just how much useful space there is in these 850s.

You might have already tried this - I've read that if the earthing wire (the braided cable that goes from the top of the engine above the exhaust manifold to the bulkhead) is not connecting properly, then that can cause the ABS light to come on. In my case I had the ABS light coming on intermittently usually after about 50 miles of driving. It was caused by a faulty pin connection where the unit plugs in. I unplugged the metal ABS unit and carefully cleaned the copper pins with a wire brush. I also sprayed contact cleaner on the pins as well as the sockets (in the unit itself) in which they plug.
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo2 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2023, 19:43   #54
duke1
mad mechanic

Quote:
It is amazing just how much useful space there is in these 850s.

You might have already tried this - I've read that if the earthing wire (the braided cable that goes from the top of the engine above the exhaust manifold to the bulkhead) is not connecting properly, then that can cause the ABS light to come on. In my case I had the ABS light coming on intermittently usually after about 50 miles of driving. It was caused by a faulty pin connection where the unit plugs in. I unplugged the metal ABS unit and carefully cleaned the copper pins with a wire brush. I also sprayed contact cleaner on the pins as well as the sockets (in the unit itself) in which they plug.
hi yes tried the earth leads and the main one from battery is new,i have several abs modules one of which was meant to be tested and working and cost me £50 another i bought ages ago with a badly smashed case where the locking arm fits,another unknown quantity bought from ebay for a few quid,none extinguish the evil thing except the smashed and beaten one which has to have a cable tie job to plug it in sort of works as in the abs light comes on then goes off a second or 2 later and stationary seems to work but drive 100 yds and evil thing returns bright and cruel.
i never had a car with abs before though have driven a few so honestly im tempted to remove it all and go conventional brake only.which is not great and insurance will then refuse any claim..... idk got till 15th sep till mot to sort it out,cheers
Old Aug 15th, 2023, 20:41   #55
volvo2
Master Member

Sorry to hear all that. I know the depressing feeling when that blasted light illuminates. If the light is out while stationary but then comes on when you move (presumably after the ABS check at ~20mph - a sort of vibration sound), then perhaps you have a broken reluctor ring? I had this once on my V70. I removed the sensor (not always easy to get out) and rotated the wheel and could see (looking through the hole left where the sensor goes with a torch) a break in the ring. I changed the ring myself. If it is not that then I suppose it must be an ABS sensor or wire break somewhere. I think you can check the sensors by measuring their resistance (I've never done this myself). Also, I wonder if you can read a fault code from the flashing LED port thing (located near the window wash bottle)?

It is good that your main earth lead from the battery is OK. I had that fail a while back and it caused all sorts of strange starting problems.
Old Aug 16th, 2023, 09:31   #56
volvo2
Master Member

By the way, I wonder if it is possible to check the ABS sensor circuit for each wheel by measuring the resistance / continuity at the pins (with the ABS controller removed). This would require knowing which pins to use. There is a wiring diagram here, where the anti-lock brake circuit is given on page 6 (this is the 1995 version, so not sure if the ABS controller is the same as we have):

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/se...ngDiagrams.pdf

and also here (for 1994 model), on page 128:

http://www.volvo850.ru/shem/1994.pdf

Last edited by volvo2; Aug 16th, 2023 at 09:41.
Old Aug 16th, 2023, 11:20   #57
volvo2
Master Member

Just noticed that you mention "front headlamps had the usual bloom on the plastic lense".

I don't think these can be the original headlight units as there were glass and not plastic back in 1994.
Old Aug 16th, 2023, 17:34   #58
duke1
mad mechanic

Quote:
Just noticed that you mention "front headlamps had the usual bloom on the plastic lense".

I don't think these can be the original headlight units as there were glass and not plastic back in 1994.
hi the previous owner had used beam deflectors and left the glue and a plastic film which had gone very opaque and a right bugger to shift i had to soak it in paint thinners and lots of scraping later i have fairly good lamps,back ones i found v70 pair for £40 so binned the originals,got a set of new number plate lights as well,spoilt.
re the abs it has new front sensors and reluctor rings and i double checked using the ohm meter and both have 1.15 ohm which is right.
the backs never been checked for condition but no codes for rear.
for now i have ditched the abs unplugged and a rubber glove over it and tied up! i have to drive her 300 miles with the evil thing glaring at me,not good for my ocd.
then got till 15th sep to find the fault,cheers
Old Sep 9th, 2023, 16:31   #59
duke1
mad mechanic

hi all well i believe i have found the fault causing the abs warning light as this morning with the help of my grandson i tested every single fuse/wire/connector/relays/ connections from the sensors all the way to the abs unit and found i have power all the way to the pump motor but no life at all from motor,so i took the cover of the motor and checked the motor brushes which all look serviceable still,checked the continuity on the windings all seem ok so later tonight when the furnace cools a bit i am going to connect the motor direct to a 12v supply and see if my cleaning and stuff done any good but not finding any obvious cause.
i did locate another abs system in germany and will cost another £150 but was only one i could find that the idiots selling them had not chopped off the connectors leaving a bunch if bare wires and lots of soldering if you buy them,stupid as they want £75!
atleast the one i found if indeed they still have it has all the wires and bits intact https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163789362408 ... R6z0gqTPYg
def same part no anyone dealt with these sellers?cheers
Old Sep 16th, 2023, 18:49   #60
duke1
mad mechanic

hi all well 3 days ago i jacked up the 855 to remove rear wheels in order to bleed the brakes,wish i hadt! i found the entire hub moved about when i lent on it :x on investigation i found the rear inner axle bush entirely broken and have had to replace them both,one was real easy just came undone and swapped out in a few minutes.
the other side has taken me 2 and a bit days! the first bolt came out no problem,the second one was seized solid and no amount of wd40 and coaxing would shift it,i used a fork type balljoint splitter under thhe big washer at the top and all that did was end up bending the bolt but it was still not moving,i put the nut back on to save the thread and stuck the jack under and on the bolt and had the entire weight of the car on it,still no movement even a large breaker bar could not turn it.
so i went for tea and meds and had a think,decided against the blowtorch and heating as its the petrol tank very close and there is a fuel smell around the vicinity so tried the hot air paint stripper and did get it really hot but despite breaking loose and turning albeit very tight and very little loads more wd40 and try again and again to no result,so i resorted to the angle grinder and a cutting disc well 4 in total discs and chopped right through the entire mounting through the bolt top and bottom before the bugger came out! this is the kit i fitted as volvo no longer supply them in uk, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285422212913
proffesional parts sweden meant to be oe spec or better,we shall see def not a job i care to repeat in this lifetime!
still waiting for the replacement abs pump to come from germany and mot ran out on the 15th now praying the weather stays dry at least till pumps in and working but doubt that as its england! im sore as hell now too,big fat pipe and tea time shower and bed,peace

Tags
850, 855, journal, restore