Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Post chip problem

Views : 1271

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:23   #1
anthonyf

Like the weather "it does not rain, it pours". Having had the solenoid replaced my turbo boost is back but it has a new friend: shuddering or shunting under acceleration. It does not always happen but if the RPM is about 2,200 and I put my foot down I can feel a judder, almost like a very uneven road surface (although it is not). I am assuming it is as a consequence of the modification and that the transmission is struggling with the torque, any ideas? I have called the chip people and left a message asking for a call back so hopefully they will respond. In the meantime anyone else had a similar problem?
Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:50   #2
Dan F
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyf
Like the weather "it does not rain, it pours". Having had the solenoid replaced my turbo boost is back but it has a new friend: shuddering or shunting under acceleration. It does not always happen but if the RPM is about 2,200 and I put my foot down I can feel a judder, almost like a very uneven road surface (although it is not). I am assuming it is as a consequence of the modification and that the transmission is struggling with the torque, any ideas? I have called the chip people and left a message asking for a call back so hopefully they will respond. In the meantime anyone else had a similar problem?
Hi.
Sounds like your spark plugs may need regapping or replacing. The high boost might even be 'blowing them out'.
I would say it is an ignition related problem one way or another though.
Later,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 13:54   #3
anthonyf

Have spoken to the tuners, they have come across this problem before with their sport tune giving too much torque (never thought you could have too much) so I have to re-visit to lower the torque which should then sort the problem.

Hurrah.
Old May 25th, 2006, 12:26   #4
upv5
VOC Member

Thumbs up

I think I'd have to agree with Dan on this.
I can't think of any thing in the transmission (manual or auto) that would give the symptoms you describe which do sound like a minor miss fire.
High boost pressures can "blow out" the spark, my old Cossie with 1.5 bar boost needed plug gaps of 0.6/0.7 mm, down from std 0.9
Now you,ve paid for the "torque" or higher boost in other words it seems a shame to have it turned back down.
Have you got a boost gauge you can connect, it would be of help to know what you have and that your not getting overboost spikes.

Checking and modding plug gaps is something you can do youself for free and it's reversible.

John

2000 V70R AWD - SWMBO 2017 XC60 D5 AWD --- Previous - 2009 V50 D5 SE LUX - 2000 V40 SE 2.0 - 1986 760 GLE 2.8
upv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 22:14   #5
Aeroresh

Sounds like boost spiking causing the ECU's safeguarding function to retard the ignition. The only way of sorting is by re-mapping.

Who was the tuner?
Aeroresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 10:09   #6
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Default Sounds like plugs/leads to me...

Minor hesitations are often ignition related; I had what I thought were some hesitations post chip with my old leads and plugs, so I replaced them (with problems detailed elsewhere in the forums - tip, plug ALL the leads back when you reassemble!) and the hesitation appears to have gone.

My change could of course be placebo effect; but replacing the 10-year-old (and looking very shagged) leads can't hurt.
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 11:07   #7
Dan F
Premier Member

Hi.
Was this ever cured? What was it?

Dan.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 11:56   #8
imac
Premier Member

What car was it?

If it was a D5 on a "Sport" tune, it was probably the driveshafts juddering?

The earlier D5's with the sport tune from RICA suffer from this at around 2k-2.2k rpm...

EDIT: As he drives an XC70 D5 163 I think I'm right! W00t!

Last edited by imac; Jun 13th, 2006 at 11:58.
imac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 01:29   #9
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Totally stupid question...it's not wheelspin is it? Assuming all XC70s are AWD, I guess not!

cheers

James
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 09:45   #10
Dan F
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoT5
EDIT: As he drives an XC70 D5 163 I think I'm right! W00t!
Never even thought to ask what kind of engine it was, just assumed it was a petrol.... lol.