Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 Winter Pack

Views : 6383

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 20th, 2006, 21:15   #11
Viper_7
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
The winter pack is already fitted to the car.

I noticed someone mentioned about fitting a Ford type heated windscreen.
Fine in theory but have you ever tried driving one ? You go cross eyed as you start to focus (no pun intended) on the wires and less on what's coming at you.
Yeah I don't like these either - and they also didn't seem to be "that" quick in demisting. I find the volvo's demister to be absolutly brilliant. One button and the climate control goes into overdrive to reduce the humidity and targets the front and side windows - clears in seconds.

The winter pack should also include studded tyres .. push a button and studs pop out...now that would be a proper winter pack option. - hmmm too much Knight-rider on UKGold.
Mods:
Volvo Tax disc holder - increases power output by 5%
Child Seat
Rear and side Volvo fitted blinds.
Tree Sap from May - July.
Removed at least 46 cup holders for weight reduction.
Viper_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 21:23   #12
Gareths306
Premier Member

is it possible to fit heated washer jets? think they are part of the winter pack?
Gareths306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 21:32   #13
Black

I have an 05 plate car with the Xenon winter pack. Does come with heated seats, jets and the luxury mats.

Luxury mats seemed to have changed with the facelift, my mate had a 53 plate SE and it had those excellent rubber backed ones. Mine doesn't they just press stud into position.

I found that my headlight jets on my Mk-IV Golf used to block and freeze in the up position until I changed to genuine VAG screen wash. It turns out that for high pressure nozzles you do need a different type of fluid. I thought it was just hype.
Have switched to halfords now as it says suitable for spray nozzles but if it doesn't work out will be buying more of the VAG stuff, as cheap as normal fluid and didn't freeze at all last year.
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 17:23   #14
Alpha206
S60 Reg Keeper (Retired)

Make sure you get the "luxury mats" for the 01-04 cars - they are more like carpeted rubber-backed trays and grit etc. doesn't end up down the side of the carpets.

I bought my MY05 new with Winter pack & was really disappointed with the mats having had the old type in my previous S60...I complained to the dealer and a few days later they called me in and presented me with a nice big box of new old mats (and let me keep the old new ones too!)(if that makes sense)

Headlamp cleaning system - personally never had a problem with freezing etc (maybe I've been lucky) although it's much thirstier than the wash-wipe.

Wouldn't be without my heated seats (have had them on all my Volvos since 1992)

MY05 S60 2.0T SE...no more
MY16 V60 T6 Polestar
MY71 H.S.121-3B-101

http://www.savethetrident.co.uk/

Campaign to save G-ARPO, the last surviving Trident 1C
Alpha206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 19:09   #15
Gareths306
Premier Member

can u fit heated windscreen washer jets?
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 21:21   #16
Viper_7
Premier Member

No, you don't get heated washer jets as part of the winter pack - and I don't think they are avaliable full stop.

I'm sure you can get third party heated jets though.
Mods:
Child Seat
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 22:44   #17
Gareths306
Premier Member

i'm shocked at that! i would have thought they do heated windshield washer jets! even fords have those!!!

where can u get aftermarket ones? are they easy to fit? probably best just to cover the car at night!!!
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 01:36   #18
mhon72
Master Member

Heated windscreen washer jets have only just been introduced to Volvo on the new S80. However, it doesn't seem to be a major issue as the heat from the engine soon warms up the bonnet and defrosts the jets!

I agree with Graeme that the floor mats fitted to later S60s are cheap and nasty. The original ones with a moulded rubber base are far superior. I'll endeavour to hang onto mine when I change. As to the wisdom of Luxury Carpet Mats, well I swap in a set of rubber ones for the winter months.

I'm not a big fan of the new style headlight washer jets. The pop up design does look neat but it doesn't surprise me that they can freeze shut. The newer V70s have fixed washer jets on the bumper. It's also surprising how much water they use requiring more frequent top ups of the washer bottle.
I've always liked the little headlight wipers - true they're expensive to replace for such a small item. They're also pretty handy as "headlight flashers" for clearing those "third lane roadhogs" as they draw the said "offender's" attention without the need for intimidation with using the main beam or by being a bumper sticker.
I know the new plastic lens headlight design forced a change to washer jets. I guess I'll have to get an S60R to replace the T5!!
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 15:38   #19
Viper_7
Premier Member

The issue with the jets is not that they freeze up over night but they freeze up due to the wind chill. As someone said they are exposed to the elements - they will work once..then that's it!

Even with the heat of the engine - which is only usefull when stood still will take a looong time to get them warm enough so they don't refreeze. if it's like -5c stood still what do you think the effective wind chill will be at 60mph.

That's why heated jets solve the issue they are just jets they don't heat the water bottle or the tubeing etc. The correct anti-freeze mix sorts these out.

For after market jobbies just google it - there's even some on Ebay but for a different model - but they could be made to fit.
Now the after market jobbies probably won't just fit - you may have to make the bonnet holes bigger - if they are becoming avaliable for the S80 they may be directly compatible with the S60.
Mods:
Child Seat
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 16:41   #20
mhon72
Master Member

Originating from Hull I didn't think it was that cold in York!
Freezing jets whilst driving has never manifested itself.
Perhaps the D5 engine bays do not get as toasty as the petrol models? Modern diesels are designed to be so thermally efficient that there is little heat loss to the surroundings.
My tip is to make sure you up the concentration of the screenwash solution as directed when it gets chilly.