Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DIY service or professional?

Views : 756

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 20th, 2010, 13:42   #1
glennethwest

Default DIY service or professional?

Is it worth DIY servicing my N Reg T5R?

I am unsure whether to pay £££s for a full service, interim service etc. so I am considering doing the job myself. Is it a big job?

The car last had filters at 158K by previous owner but it has now done 164K.

Cheers.
glennethwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 14:02   #2
ddmgti

Its easy i done mine myself in a couple of hours.Plugs Leads, filters oil as long as you have a set of ramps and decent toolkit i wouldn.t pay out £££s personally but some people like the service book stamped
ddmgti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 17:04   #3
Merc85
Premier Member

Talking DIY 850 t5

All do all the servicing myself, i still fill the book out detailing the work but obviously dont get it stamped,

I'm really fussy with mine and at least i know it's done instead of taking the garages word for it.

850 T5 mbc, turbo gauge de-cat sports grille

HLM304, Forge unos 17.5psi at 3.8 bar, 18t, Me7 Manifold, Blues, Walbro, De-cat, Ported n Polished Head, 3" Dp stainlesss exhaust, Carbon Air intake, Polly Bushed thoughout.
Merc85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 17:49   #4
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

I do all mine myself. Even the T5 engine is pretty straightforward (not as easy as a redblock but that is a particularly nice engine to work on!).

The only things I don't do are clutches, timing belts and brake master cylinders - mainly because I don't have the tools or time to do it these days. Routine servicing is easy though, just take your time, and if you have to disassemble anything take photos with your phone etc first - lots of them. Its usually some obscure cable connection that you didn't directly photograph that you need to check on later Taking lots of photos gives you more chances to check.

Parts are pretty cheap - get quotes from Rufe, German Swedish & French, PartsForVolvo, EuroCarParts and compare. Don't buy pattern parts where it can be avoided - these are modern precision engines and frequently pattern parts don't last long. Check back here if you're unsure of a brand name - for example Mann make Volvo oil and air filters, Pagid make the brake pads... etc etc

The Haynes manual is not that bad to be honest. Refer to VADIS for parts assembly order info - the diagrams can be very helpful.

Take your time, don't cut corners, and ask about anything you're unsure of - that way you'll end up with better maintenance than you'll get with most garages (including main dealers).

HTH
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 18:51   #5
bobbych
Premier Member

to be honest, it is not worth paying a garage to do it. the extra you pay, is not worth the stamp as far as sell on value. you are better spending the cash on better quality oil etc for the service and doing it yourself. it is not hard the volvo t5 lump is an easy one to get round

1994 850 TURBO (2008 - 2011)
Now Scrapped Sadly
Metallic Grey
Full Leather
bobbych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 18:52   #6
philharris
I've Been Banned

I agree with the above, DIY makes good sense as long as your reasonably handy with tools, most jobs are fairly straight forward and with a decent manual and tools its amazing what you can do and have the satisfaction of knowing the jobs been done correctly , one thing i would say is buy decent tools i bought most of mine used off e bay, stick with the quality brands such as stahlwille, snap on, king dick , gedore ,britool ,blue point, armstrong etc, and you wont go far wrong
philharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 18:59   #7
gdphillips
ba baracus...

as for the service book fill it out but keep all your parts recipets to show date time miles all tally up that way you can keep a record .....easy ....