Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My first Volvo! A long wanted 145!

Views : 10265

Replies : 69

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 22:53   #11
Tattyoldvan

I'm regretting this descision already, but looks like i'll keep the amazon instead.
hopefully it will allow me to concentrate on some of my others.

What did you need to tinker? felt so embarrased the little bugger wouldn't drive off the trailer. think the exhaust blow is on the failure list.

I hope you too it round your dads field once it was up and running!
Tattyoldvan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tattyoldvan For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 23:18   #12
WPR678B
Ex 145 owner

Turned out to be water in the fuel! About 3 litres to be exact!!
That coupled with 2 of the plug leads corroded away on the ends into the distributor cap and the air filter collapsing stopped her from running.
Fresh remote fuel supply, no air filter and a couple of old Minor leads in a cleaned up cap and off she went!
Took her up and down the drive a few times but not allowed around the field until the hay has been cut!!!!
I love it and so do the kids. Even the wife says its not as bad as she was expecting!
You KNOW its gone to a good home!
WPR678B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WPR678B For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 18:27   #13
Tattyoldvan

that was a waste of a tenner for me then! i knew i should have put a lawnmower tank on it.

even though she dont stop well she does like to go. i must admit i've taken her round holt a few times, lucky for me i have some trade plates to borrow!

if you need a hand, you know where i am!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tattyoldvan For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 19:02   #14
john h
VOC Member

Wink

Sounds like it's nearly finished!! Booked in for the MOT yet?

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john h For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 21:06   #15
turkish
I've Been Banned

I have just seen the advert on ebay for your 145, it looked like a real dead cause from the photos. From your photos it already looks a different beast.
turkish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 21:49   #16
WPR678B
Ex 145 owner

Thanks for the offer of help Tattyoldvan, you may regret offering!!
The remote tank always works well for me and it gave me the chance to use the cars pump to suck out all the water (and a couple of gallons of fuel!) to ensure that everything was clear of water before re-connecting it and running from the car tank.

Not booked the MOT yet john h as i still have the 3 pages of fails from the last test in 2008 to work through!

turkish, its only had a wash and little bit of tlc so thanks for your kind comment!

I have promised myself that i WILL finish the Morris Minor project i am doing first before i start the 145 as there is nothing worse than having more than one project on the go.
Saying that, i did start to strip out the arch covers to investigate the rear inner arches as i knew they were rusted.
Drivers side was as expected, but the passengers side was much better than expected!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 031.jpg (304.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 033.jpg (189.7 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by WPR678B; Jun 3rd, 2010 at 22:09.
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 21:34   #17
eternal optimist
Master Member

Those shocker mounts look familiar. I had a similar 145S a few years ago - BUU 197H - needed rear arches and a bit of tidying up - looked great after it had all been done. Ran great as well until a boot full of paving slabs + pothole demonstrated that whilst the glass fibre wizard who'd patched the rotting rear shocker mounts had done a faultless cosmetic job there wasn't a lot of resistance to shear forces....
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 00:40   #18
WPR678B
Ex 145 owner

I have the repair panels now but not had a chance to have a go at them yet as i have another "project" i must finish first!!
I can't wait to get this one back on the road!
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 09:26   #19
eternal optimist
Master Member

Know the feeling about getting one project finished before starting another. I have a VW Split Screen Crew Cab pick up truck that's not far off paint now - must purge thoughts of what to do next....

My 145 was sold to someone in the military based in Cyrpus in 1969 and it came back to the UK when he did in 1970 - should have been a G reg not an H reg. Same colour as yours, but with cream trim with a cloth upper on the seats - and no headrests.

Got mine in 1998 and used it instead of a company car and did around 25 to 30k a year in it for a two/three years. As well as having the body done I had a B20 engine overhauled and a B20E cam and head fitted - had the head gas flowed. I also fitted overdrive and a saloon rear axle to make cruising a bit easier on the ear.

One of the regular trips I made was Reading to Veurne in Belgium through the tunnel. When I did it in a Saab 9000, I was never stopped by customs on either side - clearly Customs men are fond of old Volvo estates as I was stopped at least every other trip on either side once I swapped to using the Volvo.

I really miss that car - should never have sold it. It went with a load of spares including NOS inner wings and a great pair of s/h outer wings.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 12:49   #20
Tattyoldvan

QUOTE:

turkish I have just seen the advert on ebay for your 145, it looked like a real dead cause from the photos. From your photos it already looks a different beast.

Problem with ebay is if you make any car requiring work look good enough to drive away thats what some idiots expect. some people fail to read descriptions, and blindly bid on pictures without coming to look.

I'd far rather descibe a car as significantly worse than it is.

So glad in this case its gone to a good home just down the road. safe in knowledge its not going to fall into the hands of a banger racer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tattyoldvan For This Useful Post: