Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

164 Leaded/Unleaded Fuel

Views : 4272

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 8th, 2003, 12:02   #1
dannyj_uk

I am soon (fingers crossed!) going to be become a classic Volvo owner as I've found a lovely 164 I just cannot resist.

I'm having a bit of trouble finding out information regarding fuel for this vehicle. It would obviously have been built for 4 star but what it my best option in today's world of the green stuff?

My guess was higher octane fuel - e.g. Super or Optimax plus a lead replacement additive would be the best way to go.

Can anyone confirm this or point me in a better direction? What about the Broquet fuel catalyst?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Dan J
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 01:15   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: 164 Leaded/Unleaded Fuel

If you e-mail Jack Cluer he can tell you all you want to know about the Broquet unit. He has had one on his 145 for many years. His contact details are in "Driver".

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 14:36   #3
cbyard
TDC Member ;-)

Super unleaded with lead replacement additive or ordinary with octane booster lead replacement is normal perceived wisdom. Long term solution is modified cylinder head but if car only sees light use you may well never need this. In any case, even if you wreck the head with unleaded, fixing it is only the same job as modifying it in the first place!

There was an interesting report on fuel catalysts in Practical Classics a year or so back which effectively rubbished them as having any effect on valve seat recession on a new "leaded only" cylinder head, but did show that at least some of the additives were effective.

Best wishes

Chris
cbyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 17:00   #4
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I'd recommend Millers VSP additive. It is based on Manganese, which came out much better in tests than the Potassium used in LRP, and also has an octane booster.
I have a Triumph 2000 (as well as a Volvo), and I have used Millers in the original engine since leaded disappeared. It gives excellent pinking resistance and the performance is as good as with the old leaded 4 star.
The valves seem to be holding up - done about 20,000 on it.
Unleaded + Additive works out cheaper than LRP, which in my opinion is rubbish anyway. (It perished new carburettor diaphrams in a matter of weeks)
It is the best 'do nothing' option until such time as you need a head overhaul anyway.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2023, 16:35   #5
AndrewBrown

Don't bother with the drop in tank catalyst things,

they are complete crap and do not work the AA tested them a few years back
and concluded that they were useless

they are meant to be tin or something that changes the fuel but we told they last the life of the car.

How does it change the fuel if it does not break down into the fuel?

answer is it doesn't they are a scam plain and simple don't waste your money.
Old May 2nd, 2023, 20:09   #6
cassell
Member since 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewBrown View Post
Don't bother with the drop in tank catalyst things,

they are complete crap and do not work the AA tested them a few years back
and concluded that they were useless

they are meant to be tin or something that changes the fuel but we told they last the life of the car.

How does it change the fuel if it does not break down into the fuel?

answer is it doesn't they are a scam plain and simple don't waste your money.
Andrew, good advice but did you not notice that this thread is 20 years old and I doubt the originator is still puzzling over fuel for his intended 164 purchase!
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2023, 11:23   #7
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

20 year old thread!

The engines hold up well on pump unleaded and rare to see any valve or seat issues.

For engines that do not hold up additives have been tested and only a handful worked. https://www.fbhvc.co.uk/fuels
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote