Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

death of a Borg Warner model 35 auto gearbox

Views : 2596

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 18th, 2003, 22:42   #1
bellicose

Default death of a Borg Warner model 35 auto gearbox

they said the volvo was nigh on indestructable...mechanics on a 164 are bullet proof they said...gearbox will last you a life time...they didnt reckon on my driving from Huntingdon to wales in my auto 164 and no oil in the gearbox. I made 125 of the 173 miles required to get home to wales before I lost all drive, the AA then had to piggy-back me the rest of the way. now Ive filled the gearbox up with oil, and while I can get reverse, everytime I select drive it drives a bit then just free wheels with the engine revving but not making me go any faster. the question I put to you all is have I totalled the gearbox do you think? the next question is, If I have totalled it, as I believe I have, then can I replace the thirsty 3litre and defunct gearbox with a turbo diesel and gearbox, and where might I find such an engine?
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 21:34   #2
George Holmer

Default RE: death of a Borg Warner model 35 auto gearbox

Hehe, talk to Peter K L Milnes. He always says he'd like to stick his diesel unit in a 164. Of course you can do it, I know I guy who stuck a 960 6 pot engine in his 165 (yes, that's right, he built a 165 estate). At any rate, Peter has a box and engine you can buy.

George

Anglo-Swede resident near Leuven in Belgium

'87 745 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler (D24TIC/M46, 200k)
'88 745 Turbo Intercooler (B230ET/M46, 270k)
'88 745 GL (B200E/M47, 200k)
'89 440 GL (B18K/M55, 90k)
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 22:48   #3
bellicose

thanx, I might just have a word with Peter then. If I cannae find a TD, they are kinda like rockin horse sh*t here, do you think a 2.3 and auto box would be man enough to pull the two tonnes of volvo?
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 23:46   #4
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

As the original B30 engine has similar output to both the 2.3 AND the turbodiesel with intercooler, I would think that quite acceptable performance could be had from either. However have you looked into the possibility of fitting an AW70 or 71 autobox in place of the BW35. AW is the same as BW just the newer owner's name in front (Aisin-Warner instead of Borg-Warner). I am sure that one of the two will fit.

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2003, 16:23   #5
andykem

Default OK then: FREE (not just 'cheap') 240 AW71 transmission

Hi there,
Seen my ad for the 240 style AW71?

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/dc/dcboa...g_id=453&page=

Regards
Andy
andykem is offline   Reply With Quote