Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stunning 240 estate

Views : 11137

Replies : 149

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 4th, 2022, 07:17   #111
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytoba View Post
Hi,

I've always thought that cars houses music and art all suffer from the same cyclical problem's. In reality possessions are only worth what people are prepared to pay regardless of how rare something is.

Greed plays a big part as we have all observed following a specific car on eBay for the umpteenth time with the reserve not met as we all clock up in our heads that by now the car has probably seized to the spot and I'd in no way still drivable but the seller still insist on a high reserve never selling.

Worse of all this has the potential to inflate the expectations of sellers or buyers pricing everyone out of an already difficult passtime to get into.

No matter how mint the 240 in my eyes a last of the line is not going to be as interesting as an early B20 model and I wouldn't spent 10k on either of them.

Just a thought,

Scott
That was very astute Scott. The value of anything is generally determined by the relationship between supply and demand for it, that is all.

Of the capital items you list property has the most intrinsic value because the population of the UK increases by 300,000/year but the place doesn't get any bigger. At the moment cars are going up in value a bit because there is more money (due to quantitative easing over the past 15 years) chasing less of them (as a result of supply problems as a result of the pandemic) - that situation will right itself fairly soon.

When it comes to Volvo 240 motor cars the demand is pretty small but they are not particularly rare. We all see them every day and at any one time there are probably 20 or 30 for sale across all platforms. We see people expecting high prices sometimes, and some people like to believe those are regular prices, but in my experiences they probably never make £11,000 and the reality is nearer half that.

I agree with you about the late 240 cars - why would a motor car that is less than 30 years old have any great value? If is just an old car, why on earth would one pay more for it than a recent car that would do everything much better? As motor cars reach 40 years old they become more interesting (in a nostalgic way) and the supply is much more restricted. The government recognises their heritage value at this point and has created a separate taxation class, exempting them from VED and MoT testing.

I suspect 240s will increase in value as have previous models from the '60s and '70s - but probably in a less profound way because more will survive.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jan 4th, 2022 at 07:29. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 10:57   #112
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Good work Batman!

PS. That is certainly the one, same MoT history (the MoT runs out in 3 weeks):

F636TOO
VOLVO 240
Check another vehicle

Colour
Red
Fuel type
Petrol
Date registered
21 June 1989
MOT valid until
25 January 2022

Date tested
11 January 2021
PASS
View test certificate
Mileage
129,907 miles
MOT test number
6148 9607 3501
Test location
View test location
Expiry date
25 January 2022
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
Nearside Front Anti-roll bar linkage pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
Offside Front Anti-roll bar linkage pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
Nearside Front Wheel bearing has slight play (5.1.3 (a) (i))

PPS. https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1402516
I see Rikvdub has reduced the asking price in the C&C ad to £4,850; I suppose he must be serious about that price so we may well see it on sale for some considerable time yet.

:-)

PS. I notice the C&C ad has been running since mid-November, and that Rikvdub claims 'First to see will buy'... are we to assume no one has been to look at the car in 7 weeks?

Last edited by Othen; Jan 4th, 2022 at 11:54.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 12:17   #113
kiloran

Ah, FTSWB - the ultimate red flag in any car ad. Always assume that (a) there's a big issue with the car or (b) the seller will do almost anything to get shot of it.

The general used car market seems to be pretty sluggish at the moment. We're looking for a couple of cars - one for my Mum, one for my partner - and there's a lot of stock that's been on the forecourt since late October. Good, reasonably-priced cars, just not what we're looking for.

The garage that looks after my cars also has a well-established independent dealership attached and they say it's been very "lumpy" - rushed off their feet some weeks, then selling nothing for a fortnight. I guess the weather doesn't help - remember the old adage of never view a car in the rain.
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 12:59   #114
827Roverman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikvdub View Post
GOOD! I hope it does, cos I wouldn’t want to sell it to any of you out of principal. I believe they call you idiots keyboard junkies who have nothing better to do with your life! And I’ve imported several cars from abroad before and never once converted it to RHD. And he didn’t even mention doing that.
You seem to have more problems than your car !
827Roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 827Roverman For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 13:05   #115
827Roverman
VOC Member

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikvdub View Post
I tell you what DAVE! Come hear and I’ll show you anger management! If you read the advert everything has been done! You f••king pathetic C•NT. I’m gonnnamake sure I attend all meetings hoping to run into you.
With remarks like this you should be banned from the forum, you sound a real nasty piece of work.
827Roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 827Roverman For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 13:24   #116
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 827Roverman View Post
With remarks like this you should be banned from the forum, you sound a real nasty piece of work.
... he claims to have been banned some months ago.

Old Jan 4th, 2022, 13:25   #117
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 827Roverman View Post
I think this has occurred!
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 14:58   #118
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
... he claims to have been banned some months ago.

The "I've been Banned" under his name was put on by the forum Alan, NOT him

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 15:20   #119
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The "I've been Banned" under his name was put on by the forum Alan, NOT him
Ah! Thank you Dave - I didn't know that.

Alan
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 16:27   #120
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Ah! Thank you Dave - I didn't know that.

Alan
You're welcome Alan, it replaces the "New/Junior/Senior/Premiere Member" that the rest of us have. I believe there are custom options if you're a fully paid up member of the VOC and ask for them but i think the operative word there is ask, i don't think it's automatically granted even if you are fully paid up.

I may be wrong on that and it is automatic but maybe one of the forum admins could confirm/refute/advise accordingly if they happen to spot this post?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: