Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

165 wagon

Views : 66237

Replies : 115

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 14th, 2010, 14:05   #1
saintjohn
saintjohn

Thumbs up 165 wagon

Hi all just joined up , im finally going to restore the volvo 165 which a few of you might have heard about in Australia. It was a one off chassis no 1651360001 made for the then managing director of volvo. l have had it for about 12 years or so l think its about time l got onto it. I have got full documentation from volvo themselves inc the drop sheet of the production line dated 29/2/1972. hope to post some photos soon regards John
saintjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to saintjohn For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2010, 18:40   #2
john h
VOC Member

Talking

Hi John,

A very warm welcome to the forum; I'm seriously glad you joined up and delighted to read this post!

I'm in the UK but I keep in touch from time to time with Heino Nowatzky and he told me about your unique Volvo-built 165.

Please please post up loads of photos. I'm really looking forward to seeing the car and your restoration.

Cheers

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john h For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2010, 21:14   #3
Audrey Old
VOC Member

We too welcome you to our little haven.....

Would love to see pics of your car, as we have a pic of one (maybe a 145 conversion) when we went to Cumbers garage, Brixham, Cormwall some years ago in our maroon 164 and saw a similar-coloured 165 having an MoT test.

Hope the car is in sound basic condition.

Paul
Audrey Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 00:34   #4
saintjohn
saintjohn

Default volvo 165 resto

The car is reasonably sound some rust spots around back windows but nothing around the front windscreen strange, body generally is in good order although it might be different when l take the paint off. The black leather interior is good motor will be getting a rebuild along with brakes etc. hope to have some photos soon regards John
Old May 19th, 2010, 15:42   #5
Volvophile
Premier Member

Was this the car given to Volvo design chief, Jan Wilsgaard, upon his retirement by any chance?
Volvophile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 17:37   #6
T240
Pure is Beautiful

Hi, and welcome to the madhouse

Oh, I'm looking forward to seeing this!!!!!!!

Does she have power steering by any chance?

Cheers,

T
Old May 20th, 2010, 19:48   #7
ClassicVolvoShop
Schrödinger's Cat Cph!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintjohn View Post
The car is reasonably sound some rust spots around back windows but nothing around the front windscreen strange, body generally is in good order although it might be different when l take the paint off. The black leather interior is good motor will be getting a rebuild along with brakes etc. hope to have some photos soon regards John
What colour is it?
Old May 21st, 2010, 07:36   #8
saintjohn
saintjohn

Default volvo 165 resto

Hi all again to answer all the above questions 1st l believe it was built for the then MD Jo Wedde a Finn 2nd it had power steering and air condtioning and 3rd the colour was listed as Kansas Red regards to all John
Old May 21st, 2010, 11:41   #9
ClassicVolvoShop
Schrödinger's Cat Cph!

By the help of Google Translate: (I have not adjusted the mechanically translation)

Quote:
Volvo 165 is a model that many wished that it was produced, but the truth is that no herrgårdsvagnsversion (estate/wagon) of the Volvo 164 has never manufactured in Torslanda.

All 165 ranks have been modified subsequently by private persons and body maker.

Two copies will be built in Volvo's assembly plants in Australia and South Africa.
and..
Quote:
...Volvo in Australia to 1972 built a prototype of a 165: a, which was supposed to be exported to the United States. The exports would get around the strict rules that limited the number of cars that were manufactured in the country. By putting together the kit to a 145 and a 164 got a wagon with B30-A engine, M410 gearbox, black leather interior. The prototype was painted in an orange color as the Nissan plant in Clayton also put together the Nissan...
It's very interesting - I hope you get around fixing the 165 to it's glory!
Old May 21st, 2010, 12:06   #10
saintjohn
saintjohn

Default Volvo 165

John again___ all that information gells with what i received from Volvo in letter form although there was no mention of the American conection only that there might have been another made in South America. The colour is strange as on the drop sheet of the day it was called Kansas Red but in the letter from Volvo it states it was Nissan Orange. Regards John