Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 vs 740

Views : 22250

Replies : 113

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 24th, 2013, 14:16   #21
Jack Spaniel

I owned four 240s, three estates and one saloon. All were brilliant and gave great service.
I also owned a Phase 1 V70 2.0 for over seven years and that was without doubt the best car I have owned in fifty years of driving. Just recently changed but only because at my age (77) it was getting too low for me to get in and out of easily. Loved it, Miss it.
1 x 244
Jack Spaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2014, 17:23   #22
Michael J
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Spaniel View Post
... it was getting too low for me to get in and out of easily.
My previous car was a Laguna and whilst it was quite nice to drive the seat was fairly low and I was beginning to gasp when getting in or out (due to hernias). That's one reason for my liking the 240, nice to get in and out of, no gasping (yet).
Old Jan 2nd, 2014, 18:47   #23
stephend
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J View Post
My previous car was a Laguna and whilst it was quite nice to drive the seat was fairly low and I was beginning to gasp when getting in or out (due to hernias). That's one reason for my liking the 240, nice to get in and out of, no gasping (yet).
Don't buy a V40, then! Wonderfully comfortable when you're in it - but takes me some serious effort to lever myself out of it...
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 18:15   #24
rustytoba
Master Member

I started off with an 89 740 2.0GL, with headlining that fell around your ears, locks that locked themselves, a fuel guage that lied, and a whole lot of other electrical gremlins, after a few good years I now have the car I always promised myself, an 89 240 2.0GL with Virgo's, a solid headlinging, electricity that works, and the best build quality I have ever seen.

However my personal taste has always steered towards older metal, I'd kill for a 142!!

Rusty
rustytoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 11:58   #25
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Default Unfair and Fair Criticism

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytoba View Post
I started off with an 89 740 2.0GL, with headlining that fell around your ears, locks that locked themselves, a fuel guage that lied, and a whole lot of other electrical gremlins, after a few good years I now have the car I always promised myself, an 89 240 2.0GL with Virgo's, a solid headlinging, electricity that works, and the best build quality I have ever seen.

However my personal taste has always steered towards older metal, I'd kill for a 142!!

Rusty
As I've said before it is unfair to criticise a car for a failed headlining (a relatively easy fix anyway) and the failings your 740 had probably due to uncaring previous owners - people who buy cheap cars rarely spend money on them!

For my part I bought a 240DL in December last year and it has caused me more heartache in a couple of months than our 1986 740 has since 1987.

Advice has been thin on the ground (apart from two generous folk) sorry, but I'm just trying to save this one owner car from the scrappy.

Disenchanted Jon.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 22:22   #26
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
As I've said before it is unfair to criticise a car for a failed headlining (a relatively easy fix anyway) and the failings your 740 had probably due to uncaring previous owners - people who buy cheap cars rarely spend money on them!

For my part I bought a 240DL in December last year and it has caused me more heartache in a couple of months than our 1986 740 has since 1987.

Advice has been thin on the ground (apart from two generous folk) sorry, but I'm just trying to save this one owner car from the scrappy.

Disenchanted Jon.
I agree that each car deserves a fair hearing. The 740 I had was in poor condition due to poor maintenance which supports your point. Once sorted, it served me well. The 740 has its virtues as a car.

I'm replying because you say help re your 240 DL has been thin on the ground. I have found the experienced forum members very helpful. Maybe nobody knew quite how to help re your queries? Please re-start your requests for help? From what I see in the forum, the experienced people love a tricky to diagnose problem and will help, help, help ...
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 16:07   #27
irish boy
VOC Member

Agree with much of the above. My 740 is in absolutely perfect condition, head liner, door cards etc etc and not even a pick of surface rust. My dad has a 240 which is well used. The difference is startling. My dad also has a mint 11k mile from new 240 in the same condition as my 740 with 40k miles, all down to the individual car and how it has been looked after!
irish boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 19:49   #28
wrinkles
VOC Member

Wink

At least the engine is the right way round and drives the right pair of wheels.
The Following User Says Thank You to wrinkles For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 22:51   #29
57RKL

Default 740 vs 240

Not exactly sure what all these uncaring owners are actually doing to their 740's headlinings, electrical systems, dashboards etc. I would have thought a lack of servicing, general dings, body damage, knocking suspension etc would be a consequence of poor upkeep. Mine was definitely well looked , a rather tasty 740 Turbo Intercooler Estate, but all the annoying interior stuff and poorly designed warping window trims saw me swap it for a 940. Wont be swapping my 240 though.
57RKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2014, 03:26   #30
oman5

I did it the other way- I've had a 740 td, a 740 glt 16v and now have a 240 Torslanda.

The 740s did handle slightly better, particularly the GLT but not exactly on rails!
Both of my 740s were well looked after cars with piles of service history from the single wealthy previous owners, both had sagging headlining, both had temperamental dashboard electrics.
Aside from that not really much to report. I like them all, although as has been said, the last of the line 240s were a car at the very peak of its development and is a thoroughly sorted vehicle.

The turbo diesel can be a bit of an arse to work on. the back two glow plugs are hidden under the injector pump, two timing belts to change and the front one is not easy to do. vacuum pumps fail routinely, and on a very good run 45mpg is about your lot. However, very satisfying to drive with effortless mid range grunt. they are good tow cars.
Oh, and the diesel is nowhere near as durable or tolerant of neglect as a redblock.
oman5 is offline   Reply With Quote