Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 240 MPG

Views : 14505

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2012, 12:19   #11
wooble
Stay gold baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
So what is the difference between the e and the f?

Thanks
B200E and B230E are fitted with Bosch K-Jetronic mechanical fuel injection. F engines (in the UK market) are fitted with Bosch LH2.4-jetronic electronic fuel injection. There are also other subtle differences, such as the camshaft fitted (E engines have a more aggressive cam)

the 'B' at the start stands for 'benzin' (swedish for petrol), followed by the displacement in decilitres (200 = 2.0, 230 = 2.3), and the suffix denotes the specific engine version. as well as F and E, you'll find:

K (downdraft carb, on a 240 it's the undesirable solex carb, on a 740 it's a pierburg)
A (sidedraft carb)
FX (high-performance version of F, super rare as the 'FX' kit was sold as a dealer-fit upgrade by Volvo)
FB (updated version of FX engine fitted to 940),

ET (early version of turbo engine fitted to 740, Bosch Motronic fuel injection)
FT (turbo engine fitted to 740/940, Bosch LH2.4 jetronic injection)
FK (low-pressure turbo version of FT)
FD (F engine with extra emissions controls including pulsair exhaust gas recucrulation system).

Last edited by wooble; Feb 12th, 2012 at 14:49.
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wooble For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 12:35   #12
Michael J
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooble View Post
K (downdraft carb, on a 240 it's the undesirable solex carb, on a 740 it's a pierburg)
I'm more than happy with my Solex Cisac. What's your problem with it?
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 13:02   #13
240Torslanda

1992 Torslanda Estate. 2.0 litre engine. 24 MPG first tankfull, but it was leaking from sender pipe & had been stood for 2 years. Worked it out the other day, leak fixed & 1000 miles on, about 31 MPG. That's a mix of country lanes & dual carriageway, driven like an "old man in a Volvo". Happy with that, may not be the best, but then my old Land Rover doesn't get much better than 20 MPG. Which puts it in perspective.
240Torslanda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 240Torslanda For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 13:05   #14
S40T3
Where does that bit go?

My '93 Torslander (B200E) averaged 29.98 MPG over 12,000 miles. My '89 GLT (B230E, K Jetronic) is averaging 26.74 MPG over 4,400 miles, despite having dragged 13 tons of building materials up a steep mountain road in first gear during this period. Difficult to top 30MPG on the motorway though.
S40T3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S40T3 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 13:11   #15
wooble
Stay gold baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J View Post
I'm more than happy with my Solex Cisac. What's your problem with it?
Complete unavailability of rebuild parts, lack of documantation, excessive amounts of vacuum lines, misc. electronic components attached to carb also unavailable.

All the problems can be fixed by upgrading to a carb that's still supported by the manufacturer, and binning all the extraneous equipment fitted as a half-baked fix to improve emissions. The 80s were a dark, dark time in engine design.
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 14:33   #16
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
So what is the difference between the e and the f?

Thanks
e has mechanical injection & no cat.
f has electronic injection & a cat.

Opps, just noticed the more thorough replies above....
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/

Last edited by Paul240480; Feb 12th, 2012 at 14:40. Reason: Numtyness
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul240480 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 14:35   #17
Michael J
Master Member

Quote:
Complete unavailability of rebuild parts, lack of documantation, excessive amounts of vacuum lines, misc. electronic components attached to carb also unavailable.

All the problems can be fixed by upgrading to a carb that's still supported by the manufacturer, and binning all the extraneous equipment fitted as a half-baked fix to improve emissions. The 80s were a dark, dark time in engine design.
How many of them have you had?
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 14:48   #18
wooble
Stay gold baby!

Personally none, but when I was a mechanic I had 2 customers who had 240GLE estates, both with the B230K. Both carbs were well past their use-by date and required constant attention. One car was eventually converted to use a weber carb at some expense. The other had it's carb semi-reconditioned by cobbling together parts from three carbs (the original, the one from the second car, and one I bought from clifford pope on here) which produced a carb which functioned well enough to keep it going for another 2 years until it was scrapped for other reasons. At no point were we able so source replacement parts for the carb from any source in the UK or europe.

I'm sure some have solex-cisac carbs that work, but I personally dislike them for the problems they've caused me.
The Following User Says Thank You to wooble For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 22:28   #19
redboy
Master Member

On my '79 245 B21a, m46 overdrive, and running on LPG, I've been getting 22mpg in winter- heavy traffic commuting- 20mph average; bumper to bumper for 10 miles, then hilly south-downs A/B roads for 10 miles- then driving in circles for 10 minutes to find free Volvo sized parking in Eastbourne.

I'd say that's pretty much as 'worst case' driving as you can get outside of London. On a run, I tend to get about 25mpg on gas, but that's averaging 75mph, and a few long- (30-45minute stopped) motorway queues. I've never had the opportunity to test it 'tank to tank' at anything like an unclogged highway.

So we're basically talking Fiat Panda type fuel bills in something the size and shape of a government office block.
redboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redboy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 00:05   #20
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

Quote:

I"m a lucky guy then..I have a rare spec..No offence intended we all love the 200 series here in all its guises..The solex cisac with erg and pulsair system is becoming a rare beast indeed..if it is not scrapped its converted.I sometimes think what is killing our cars is what we have to put in the tank..Dont be too hard on the solex cisac..20 plus years and still capable of blistering up a dual carriageway is nothing to be sniffed at..Bless you 240..you owe me nothing..cheers hj.
honestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to honestjoe For This Useful Post:

Tags
gas guzzler