Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacing Fuel filter

Views : 14548

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 29th, 2010, 15:29   #1
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Default Replacing Fuel filter

Replaced my fuel filter today & took a few pics along the way. I hope you find them of use.

Old (Bosch) filter in situ & new Mann filter ready to go. The bosch one was there on purchased in 2003 :shock: Over 50k miles with me, who knows how many before :?

You need to release pressure in the fuel system. Pull fuse #6, then run engine till it stops. Finally remove fuel filler cap. If the fuel pump fuse is showing signs of overheating, now is a good time to replace it!

Disconnect -ve terminal of battery!

Disconnect output side of fuel filter (can do input first, this is just the routine I used). Note using an adjustable spanner on the filter to allow the 17mm on the nut to be used with a bit of force.

Then disconnect the 15mm connector on the brass elbow joint on the input side. This is a bit fiddly due to the bonnet hinges & spring being 'in the way'.

Next undo the 10mm nut on the fuel filter holding bracket. This has a captive nut by the way.

You can now remove the filter, although you may need to spin it free from the output pipes thread. Some fuel will no doubt spill out.

Next you need to remove the brass elbow joint from the input end of the filter. I did this on my bench.

New filter with the elbow screwed in ready to be mounted.

New filter in place.

Refit (new) fuse #6

Re-connect battery

Start engine, which may take longer than normal to allow fuel to get through new filter & thoroughly check for signs of leaks!
Hopefully all will be well
If I've missed anything, please feel free to add info'
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Paul240480 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 18:19   #2
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Very useful "how to" Paul - it's something I haven't done for over ten years thanks to running lpg.

It is worth making sure you have a good quality fuse (genuine Volvo ones are not expensive) as some are a soft plastic and with slightly corroded contacts will rapidly get hot and the plastic softens giving a poor contact.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike_Brace For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 20:00   #3
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I must confess I didn't do any of that depressurising stuff. I just loosened the banjo bolt a little and wrapped a rag round it to contain the small spillage.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 20:05   #4
wooble
Stay gold baby!

good writeup, for everyone else out there, always use new copper washers on the fuel filter when available, if your new filter doesn't come with them you can re-anneal the old ones be heating them until red with a butane torch (or your cooker's gas hob!) than dunking them into water, brings them up all shiny, malleable and new again! Also, always check very carefully for leaks with the engine running, the slightest leak could let fuel drip or spray onto the hot manifold, with obvious consequences!
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wooble For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 09:40   #5
nickbw898

Great write up. My experience was that these fuel unions can be very tight, having probably never been undone since manufacture! Has anyone else got an exceptionally noisy fuel pump and if so have you changed it? I am not sure if it is the external pump fitted under the rear on the near side, or if like more recent models, there is a secondary pump but mine is so intrusive the noise is distracting. There is always the chance it will fail outright ever present in one's conscious while driving!
nickbw898 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nickbw898 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 11:33   #6
chesters6
Master Member

i guess its one of those posh injection engines? mine just has a tiny inline filter unless its been "adjusted"
chesters6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chesters6 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 11:35   #7
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesters6 View Post
i guess its one of those posh injection engines? mine just has a tiny inline filter unless its been "adjusted"
Yes tis Chesters B200E, sorry! LOL
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul240480 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 11:53   #8
chesters6
Master Member

great place for the filter though ,far better than lying under the car getting petrol in your eyes along with grit
chesters6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chesters6 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 17:45   #9
345DL
VOC Member

This morning, inspired by this thread, Beetledrive and I had a go at replacing the filter on our 240.

We bought our replacement filter from Volvo. The old one was so rusty, I would not be surprised if it had been on the car for most of its life!

Anyway, it wasn't quite as easy for us as it looks in this 'how-to', mainly as the elbow joint was tightly rusted on at both ends. Removing the shroud while the filter was still in place was very hard (requiring a trip to Wilco to invest in a 15mm spanner, which then flew into Beetledrive's face with the force of the shroud finally giving way!). We were almost at the point of having to remove the bonnet hinge to get enough leverage, but we managed it. To add to the 'how-to' though, you should note that you need to turn the spanner clockwise (i.e. upwards) to release the shroud.

Once the filter was off, it took a lot more cursing and bleeding before the elbow released itself from the old filter (using two adjustable spanners).

Replacing the new filer was just as hard, as we couldn't get a tight enough seal on the shroud to stop leakage while the engine was running. We had to tighten the shroud with all our might two more times before the fuel stopped leaking. It's still not 100% leak-free, but it's the best we can manage. Can anyone recommend something we can use to provide an extra protective seal around the outside (some sort of silicon maybe)?

Anyway, I am very pleased that we went to all the bother of doing it, as the new filter looks very pretty, and the fuel that came out of the old filter was black (see the picture below)! The best bit of all is that the car is definitely running a lot better, and is more responsive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1823.jpg (199.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1824.jpg (207.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1829.jpg (373.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1828.jpg (374.1 KB, 26 views)
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 20:57   #10
vlv240
Renault addict

Excellent tutorial Paul!

& 1986 240 Dl Saloon LHD since '93
vlv240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vlv240 For This Useful Post: