Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

gearbox conversion and power steering for 145

Views : 16508

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 08:37   #1
twaintje

Default gearbox conversion and power steering for 145

Hi out there, as I am new to the Volvo scene, owning a "73 145, I like to know if anyone has already put a M45 box in a 145 (B20A) and what it involves (tilting and modifing of the box) futher more has anyone already put a Powersteering of a 164 in a 140-series.
I am planning to do both!
So hit me with Your advice!

An other Tank on the road!
Tony Vinders
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 15:26   #2
144RHD

Default RE: gearbox conversion and power steering for 145

There is a website of a dutch guy named Bram who I think did the gearbox conversion, he also modifies parts to do the job.

What I am interested in is the power steering project. I've been spinning with the idea myself. I've come up with the following idea: Take the complete power steering kit of a Left Hand Drive car (there are plenty US export cars where you can take the parts from) EXPENSIVE!! and fit this with the powered 164 steering box from a RHD. Is this of any help?

Please let me know how the project is going!

Hans
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 17:17   #3
skidje
Master Member

First of all I would recomment to take the M46 (with overdrive) instead of the mentioned M45.

The early 240's w're equipped with the last B20 engines whilst fitted with M45/46 gearboxes. The best advice you can get is to search for such a bellhause which are not often available. I know of some here in Holland that w're offered during the last couple of years but do not have a clue where to look at this moment. Another option is a private enthousiast here in the area of Eindhoven who welds from 2 bellhauses 1new hausing with flange forward suiting the B20 and backwards suiting the M45 or M46 gearbox.

Power steering on a 73 rhd model 140 is not experienced before by myselves. What I saw somebody doing is converting a 145 from 74 from rhd into lhd whilst adding also the 164 powersteering stuff!! It still takes some time since you have to drill in the chassis where the steeringhause is fitted. The operating arm from the steeringhausing therefore also needs modification. If you look for this set please do not forget to ask also for the pulley suiting the extra V-belt.

Hope I made myselves clear. Regards, Joseph (Netherlands)
244 GL
240 polar
245 Turbo estate
144 DL
P1800 E was to big a project (slight surface rust!!!) and left becouse of limited space
skidje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 10:05   #4
twaintje

Hallo hans,
ik ben inmiddels al zover dat de 5-bak is ingebouwd én perfect functioneert.
Graag wil ik rechtstreeks contact met je hebben, misschien kunnen we het wiel opnieuw uitvinden!!
Twan Vinders uit Meersen
Twaintje@hotmail.com
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 20:34   #5
140president

Its only 1976 240 that have B20/M45 bellhousing, in Sweden any way.
I did put one in a friends 145 1970 with a 180hp B20 engine.
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 22:17   #6
Goemdes

Twaintje, Jaap here.
Ik heb in een grijs verleden een 145 gehad (allang weer verkocht - zie de foto in de Gallery van Goemdes). Daar heb ik ook een M46 onder gezet. M46 en speciaal b20 bell-house heb ik toen bij Flok Boer in Drachten gekocht. Stoer zo'n OD met een knop op de pook. Veel werk geweest. Een hele dag gesleuteld bij Slubo in Doetinchem.
Deze 145 heb ik ook voorzien van stuurbekrachtiging. Niet van een 164, maar pasklaar uit een Amerikaanse 144. De pomp wordt schuins links boven de waterpomp op de kop geschroefd (latere B20's hebben de schroefgaten al). Een geleide wiel rechts boven de waterpomp en door de dubble pully krijgt de stuurbekrachtiging zijn eigen aandrijf snaar. Dan krijgt het reservoir nog een plek op het schutbord. Stuurhuis vervangen is vrij simpel. De GEHELE stuurkolom moet vervangen (inclusief het loshalen van die vervelende 'breek' moeren - hoe heten die krengen ook alweer?). Als het eenmaal zit en werkt, is het fantastisch!
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 20:45   #7
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I'm sure it is possible to use the 164 steering box and any pump.
The problem you will have is the shaft is at the wrong angle. I'm sure I could do it but with the 144 haveing such light steering I've never found the need.

Dai
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 18:42   #8
john h
VOC Member

Another alternative is to fit electric power steering, using column from (say) a modern Corsa or Peugeot. Many historic rally people are doing this.

All your under-bonnet steering hardware can remain standard. No hydraulics/pulleys required.

I have seen some internet links on this. I'll try to find them if you're interested.

John
john h is offline   Reply With Quote