Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help! Electrical Gremlin; Indicators

Views : 3252

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 19th, 2023, 16:00   #1
hreg240

Unhappy Help! Electrical Gremlin; Indicators

Hi all,

Just picked up my 240 GL (H Reg) and have an electrical gremlin.

The hazard switch works and the indicators light up correctly. However, the indicator stalk doesn’t do anything. I’ve checked the fuse box (passenger footwell) and no blown fuses by the looks of things. Headlights, dipped/main beam works fine and the indicator stalk makes the standard clunk noise as it resets itself after switching it.

Any ideas what has gone wrong? And how I can fix it.

Much appreciated
Thorne
hreg240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hreg240 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2023, 17:11   #2
Big 240

First thing I would check is the stalk itself. Easy to remove and then you can clean out the contacts etc. It might simply be all gummed up.
Big 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Big 240 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2023, 17:33   #3
hreg240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 240 View Post
First thing I would check is the stalk itself. Easy to remove and then you can clean out the contacts etc. It might simply be all gummed up.
Thank you sir; had a look at the relay and it seems good, no blown fuses either.

Taking a look at the stalk now, going to check power to the wires with a multimeter and see if it needs a clean.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hreg240 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2023, 18:31   #4
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 240 View Post
I think you are probably right. If the issue is affecting both left and right circuits equally than it almost certainly has to be the supply to the switch or the contact. It shouldn't take long to trace the fault with a meter.

Old Mar 19th, 2023, 19:00   #5
hreg240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I think you are probably right. If the issue is affecting both left and right circuits equally than it almost certainly has to be the supply to the switch or the contact. It shouldn't take long to trace the fault with a meter.

So the AA man came out to have a look (as electrics are my downfall and I don’t have a multimeter to hand).

We checked: the relay, which is operating the hazards without fail. The fuses, which don’t look blown or any immediate issues. The indicator stalk - both wires were reading correct voltage.

The AA man seemed to think that the issue could lie with the alarm system that has been installed. I’m not sure about the prognosis, as the car runs and drives without fault - no immobiliser issues. I’ve no information on the alarm system, not sure if it is OEM or aftermarket.

There is a battery cut off switch in the engine bay (big red type, as found on race cars).

I’m a bit stumped; my next steps are to give the stalk a second look and spray some contact cleaner in there.

Any further thoughts guys?
Old Mar 19th, 2023, 20:39   #6
hreg240

Update:

AA man left, couldn’t fix the fault. I decided to have another check. Started with the stalk, spray of contact cleaner - nothing. Then, onto the fuse box, No.9 looked a bit old, so I swapped it for a spare that was in the storage slot at the bottom. Again, nothing.

Finally, double checked the relay. One of the connecting prongs looked burnt out (something I didn’t pick up on with the AA chap, as I couldn’t get a good look-in).

I’m now looking for a suitable replacement. Have found one that looks like it’ll do the trick but is the wrong part number (003-750-31 is my part number, 003-750-711 is the replacement part number).

For the sake of a couple £ and the fact it’s the only one I can find with next day delivery, I am going to chance it.

Will update further on the morrow.
Old Mar 20th, 2023, 06:18   #7
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hreg240 View Post
Update:

AA man left, couldn’t fix the fault. I decided to have another check. Started with the stalk, spray of contact cleaner - nothing. Then, onto the fuse box, No.9 looked a bit old, so I swapped it for a spare that was in the storage slot at the bottom. Again, nothing.

Finally, double checked the relay. One of the connecting prongs looked burnt out (something I didn’t pick up on with the AA chap, as I couldn’t get a good look-in).

I’m now looking for a suitable replacement. Have found one that looks like it’ll do the trick but is the wrong part number (003-750-31 is my part number, 003-750-711 is the replacement part number).

For the sake of a couple £ and the fact it’s the only one I can find with next day delivery, I am going to chance it.

Will update further on the morrow.
As a Volvo 240 owner you must get yourself a multi-test meter - you will find that you need it frequently. A cheap one (for less than a tenner) will suffice.

Without a test meter you could just use a piece of wire. Jump across from pin 31 to 49 at the loom first - if there is a cct then the right (or left) indicators will illuminate permanently, then switch to 49a and the other side should light up. If it does that the relay is faulty, if not there is a fault in the cct. Eninfach.

There is nothing special about the indicator relay, you should be able to get one from any motor factor.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Mar 20th, 2023 at 06:33.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2023, 09:09   #8
hreg240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
As a Volvo 240 owner you must get yourself a multi-test meter - you will find that you need it frequently. A cheap one (for less than a tenner) will suffice.

Without a test meter you could just use a piece of wire. Jump across from pin 31 to 49 at the loom first - if there is a cct then the right (or left) indicators will illuminate permanently, then switch to 49a and the other side should light up. If it does that the relay is faulty, if not there is a fault in the cct. Eninfach.

There is nothing special about the indicator relay, you should be able to get one from any motor factor.

Alan

Thanks for the advice Alan,

I will pick up a test meter today, like you say, it is only a few pounds.

The relay I ordered last night is saying it may not arrive until 10pm tonight! I think a trip to a popular motor factor may be in order, as time is of the essence (I don’t think work will be too happy with me asking for a second day working at home).

Will keep you all in the loop as things progress,
Thorne
Old Mar 20th, 2023, 10:06   #9
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hreg240 View Post
Thanks for the advice Alan,

I will pick up a test meter today, like you say, it is only a few pounds.

The relay I ordered last night is saying it may not arrive until 10pm tonight! I think a trip to a popular motor factor may be in order, as time is of the essence (I don’t think work will be too happy with me asking for a second day working at home).

Will keep you all in the loop as things progress,
Thorne
Europarts (or similar) should have the relay.

Ignore that test routine I suggested above (I've just checked the diagram), pin 31 is to chassis earth. Jumping between the other two should energise whichever circuit you select permanently.
Old Mar 20th, 2023, 11:34   #10
hreg240

Update, for all that are interested in the saga:

Issue: Indicators don't operate from the stalk. Hazard switch operates lights correctly and the seatbelt warning light works. Dipped/Main beam functions work fine too.

So far the following has been checked:
  • Fuses, none are blown. Replaced No.9 and sprayed contacts with cleaner. Bought some spares today and will swap over in my lunch hour.
  • Relay. Original one looked a bit worn, I went to a local indie parts store and got another. Replacing the relay does nothing - same as before.
  • Checked the readings on the stalk. This was done by Mr. AA last night. He was getting readings over/around 12V when the stalk was operated (up or down) and nothing when it returned to the 'off' position (middle). Mr. AA was confident that the stalk was working fine.

Other factors that could be important:
  • The car has a battery cut-off switch in the engine bay (like on a racing car).
  • It seems to have a period alarm system fitted. The operation of this system is unknown. There are stickers in the window saying 'DIGITAL' alarm system fitted.

The car is running alright (one might say a tad lumpy, but that is by-the-by); all other operations seem functional albeit the electric windows are intermittent; they were completely not working (both driver and passenger switches inoperative) yesterday, however are working fine today.

Tags
240 electrical, help pease, indicator, indicator relay