Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 v v60

Views : 5959

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 15th, 2017, 09:40   #1
cejsmith
VOC Member

Default V40 v v60

I'm thinking of getting a v40 d4 and I was wondering if anybody had gone from a v60 to a v40 and what their thoughts where.
Skoda Superb 272 L&K estate sold
V90 CC B6
cejsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 11:04   #2
squiddley

Hi
I went from a V60 to the new V40.

My personal experience,I wish I had kept my V60, don't get me wrong the new V40 is very nice ,I just seem to be having a few problems with mine, and I miss the space.
squiddley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 13:09   #3
Spitfire4
Master Member

We're going from an XC60 to v40 cc, finance reasons, but had one for 3 days and while it's smaller wasn't disappointed with it. Should get it at the end of the month, so will report how it goes.
Old Apr 20th, 2017, 08:12   #4
FRS

Im the happy owner of a V60 T4 Auto, and a V40 T4 Auto. Im based in Denmark, and use the V60 for travelling in Scandinavia and Germany - and I know both cars quite well.

The V60 has the sports seats, the V40 the standard seats.

The V60 is very comfortable, and cruises happily at 150 - 170km/h, all day long. Low noise level, comfy suspension and with a very smooth engine.

The suspension is firmer than on the V60, but it suits the V40 very well, as its both a sporty and comfortable set-up. The V40 really makes you smile !

The V40 is also very comfy, but there is a lot more wind/road noise, at high speed. Also, I have an issue with the seats: they just dont work well with my back and neck....

But if you drive mainly at speeds below 140 - 145km/h, and your body fits the seats, you will not be dissapointed with a V40. Its a very nimble car, it just oozes quality and the design never grows old. The V40 is a lot more fun than the V60, and I would choose it over the V40 any day, where it not for my driving needs (higher speeds) and the back/neck issues it causes to me.

The V40 is a brilliant car, that I can recommend above the Audi A3 and BMW 1-series for sure. Though smaller than the V60, it still has that Volvo feeling, of being bigger than it actually is - and being buildt to last.
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRS For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 20th, 2017, 22:59   #5
dshbc

Default V40

I have had a V70 (2009 model 2.0D) for a year and test drove a couple V60s.

My final choice was V40 as I mostly drive on my own, and the fact that my V40 had a sunroof.

Control/ Driving:
The V40 feels a lot nippier than V60 and V70, quite responsive and very little body roll, it's easier to drive fast in the V40 and I found that my V40 with D3 engine changes my driving style compared to when I had the V70 2.0D.

I seem to drive quicker and more racer-like because I know the car is nimble and the engine is quicker.

The V60 feels like a big car and the V40 feels like a big hatchback.

Comfort:
The seat in V60 was like an Armchair but I find it a little too wide for my body, and the V40 offers a more supportive seats that feels more wrapped around your body.

I do use a small cushion in front of the headrest and I find it makes it more comfortable when driving.

I have done 2 hours+ trips on both cars and I found that I m equally relaxed after the long drive.

Passengers comments:
My passengers miss the V70 that I had, because the ride was much smoother than the V40, despite on 18'' alloys.

Due to the responsive and more powerful output of the D3, my passenger also noticed a more choppy ride and firmer ride quality.

Practicality
V60 wins hands down, but for me I think V40 has enough space for luggage and usual stuff.

The V40 has a 12V power in the central cup holder unit and also inside the central arm rest console, which I don't think the V60 has it. (Correct me if I am wrong)

Thoughts:
I am few months into the V40 and I wish I had kept my V70 like squiddley mentioned above.

The space is far superior in the V70/V60, despite the large turning radius
The V40 feels less refined, but more suitable to a young adult with taste
Door lock has been an issue for earlier MYs

I had to sell my V70 as it had developed random failures of engine cutting out and some electrics starting to go wrong.

I fell for the V40 as it had the panoramic sunroof and city safety and also the D3 engine, but I still think the V60/S60 looks more elegant and the design is more beautiful than the V40 with more refinement.
V40 D3 SE Lux 2013
S60 D3 R Design Nav 2012
dshbc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dshbc For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2017, 09:28   #6
Benjybobs

I test drove both D4 in R design trim for a week, and ended up choosing the V60

The V40 felt newer, fresher and more nimble and exciting to drive.

I liked the more innovative features, like the LED headlamps, and neat things like the capless fuel filler etc.

Things that swayed me to the V60... the seats, the V60 ones are much better. general build quality was also better in the V60. The V40's speakers rattled, the wind noise was louder, the crashes and bangs from it just gave an impression of it being less well made than the V60, also the headroom in the back was poor, I could not sit up straight in it, though I am over 6 foot. The boot in both is compromised, but with a high lip the V40 seemed particularly tricky.

So i guess for comfort and practicality, the V60 is better, for excitement and driving fun, the V40 is ahead. The D4 performed well in both so I doubt you'd be disappointed !
Benjybobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 13:59   #7
H20 VOLVO

Most of the difference are obvious really.

Smaller.
Probably a bit noiser.
Not quite as comfortable.
Smaller boot.
Cheaper.

The V40 might look a little fresher with the facelifted front end, but both will be down for full renewal in the next couple of years anyway.

Engine and g/boxes same.

It all comes down to what you use it for really and money, as essentially, you'd be just down-sizing. If you need the same space, i'd keep to another V60.
H20 VOLVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2017, 10:09   #8
Bobmac

Got V40 cc D4, noisy, crashy suspension, hesitated over buying v60 cc price swayed me, big mistake, certainly wouldn't buy another
Bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2017, 13:16   #9
Julianpms
VOC Member

I went from a V60 D4 to a V40 T5 about three weeks ago. I won't compare engines/performance, but first impressions are that the V40 has crisper handling and better turn-in, better ride (standard suspension and 17-inch wheels versus sports suspension and 18-inch wheels), but the sports seats on the V60 were more comfortable. Difference in space doesn't worry me. Both cars have similar equipment too, so a familiar experience there.