Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 GLT saloon restoration project

Views : 38568

Replies : 270

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 1st, 2022, 06:27   #201
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Sorry this one is a bit terse, i can't seem to post all the info so i'll just do a list of facts/figures.

95RON/E10 fuel reduces fuel economy by ~20%, proven fact. Even on Volvos before E10, i've found 95RON reduces the economy on mine.

Timing figure for a 1987/8 B230E is 12degBTDC (10deg is for turbo models)

Running on 98RON will give you more mpg and the extra mpg outweighs the extra cost. Also saves the myth about double-gasketing for the boozer on a sunday afternoon!
I'm not convinced by E10 reducing fuel economy by 20% Dave - I think we as a nation would have noticed such a sharp rise since we swapped to E10. At a personal level I have not noticed any difference in consumption since the change - the motor car still does 25 MPG around town and 29 MPG on a run.

Best wishes for a happy and prosperous 2022.

Alan
Old Jan 1st, 2022, 06:33   #202
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juular View Post

What's left? Well painting of course, but that will happen in better weather when I can set up a gazebo or find a dry indoor space.
What a smart looking car.

I'm guessing you will paint the motor car yourself - of course you will, and it will look even smarter.

Alan
Old Jan 1st, 2022, 09:53   #203
kiloran

A Volvo and a plastic pig! It's like some sort of parking space timewarp
All this saloon action has got me seriously hankering after one, such presence.
Old Jan 1st, 2022, 11:37   #204
Juular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
What a smart looking car.

I'm guessing you will paint the motor car yourself - of course you will, and it will look even smarter.

Alan
I may as well give it a go, it's not exactly going to devalue it given its current state.

To be honest I am quite enjoying the "rat look" currently. I'm a stickler for cars being mechanically perfect but couldn't care less about appearance. As such the car hasn't even been washed in 12 years and has bits of moss on it. The looks I get as I roll up next to a brand new Audi blob are priceless. It also gets me plenty of space around me in car parks.

If I can't get a good match with normal paint I may end up putting a coat of solid enamel (purists can look away now).
Juular is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2022, 11:38   #205
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I'm not convinced by E10 reducing fuel economy by 20% Dave - I think we as a nation would have noticed such a sharp rise since we swapped to E10. At a personal level I have not noticed any difference in consumption since the change - the motor car still does 25 MPG around town and 29 MPG on a run.

Alan
I think you'd be surprised Alan :

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...0+fuel+economy

Take your pick out of those, i haven't reviewed any of them (except maybe one or two that i've forgotten about or are further down the list than i scrolled to) so can't comment but they are all in the same vein. Regardless of those, the simple fact remains that E10 fuel has a lower calorific value and even the govt admitted that in their own reports. They also prophesied a 1-2% reduction in fuel economy and have since back-pedalled admitting it's more than that.

All the best for 2022 anyway!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2022, 11:39   #206
Juular

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloran View Post
A Volvo and a plastic pig! It's like some sort of parking space timewarp
All this saloon action has got me seriously hankering after one, such presence.
I know the estate versions of these cars are most sought after, but I really love the shape and stance of the saloons. I keep looking back at it. Very handsome cars and really stand out in a crowd.
Juular is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2022, 11:44   #207
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
I know the estate versions of these cars are most sought after, but I really love the shape and stance of the saloons. I keep looking back at it. Very handsome cars and really stand out in a crowd.
Oh ! Aye. She’s handsome alright. The saloons are less of a Five door , five seater van!
I’d just paint to protect!😀
She’s a credit to you😎
Moomoo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2022, 12:10   #208
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I may as well give it a go, it's not exactly going to devalue it given its current state.

To be honest I am quite enjoying the "rat look" currently. I'm a stickler for cars being mechanically perfect but couldn't care less about appearance. As such the car hasn't even been washed in 12 years and has bits of moss on it. The looks I get as I roll up next to a brand new Audi blob are priceless. It also gets me plenty of space around me in car parks.

If I can't get a good match with normal paint I may end up putting a coat of solid enamel (purists can look away now).
In my humble opinion, unless you are aiming for a show car it would be better to stick with the rat look. If it were me I'd just paint it with similar colour smooth hamerite and lacquer over that. The motor car looks really good the way it is.
Old Jan 1st, 2022, 12:18   #209
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I think you'd be surprised Alan :

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...0+fuel+economy

Take your pick out of those, i haven't reviewed any of them (except maybe one or two that i've forgotten about or are further down the list than i scrolled to) so can't comment but they are all in the same vein. Regardless of those, the simple fact remains that E10 fuel has a lower calorific value and even the govt admitted that in their own reports. They also prophesied a 1-2% reduction in fuel economy and have since back-pedalled admitting it's more than that.

All the best for 2022 anyway!
... I'd still be amazed rather than surprised Dave. I've just watched the first of the videos in that link and the chap concludes the difference is 3% more fuel consumption. I'm happy to accept 3%, the benefit being lower emissions into the environment, but 20%... no way.

Alan
Old Jan 1st, 2022, 12:21   #210
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I agree, the 244 shape is very handsome, the 245 one is much less so.

Alan