Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Turbo not kicking in

Views : 1312

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 24th, 2015, 20:12   #1
YorkS40

Exclamation Turbo not kicking in

Hi all,

About 3 weeks ago I got in my car one morning and set off only to find that the turbo no longer seemed to be working, and the problem hasn't got any better since.

The car essentially drives like a naturally aspired engine, no power low down and slowly pulls through the rev range (it will go on to the limiter).

I've had it run on a diagnostics with no fault found. The turbo was replaced at the weekend, and today the MAF sensor. This has made no difference at all.

The car has also recently had a full service.

It is a 2007 model with nearly 150k on the clock.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

James
YorkS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2015, 21:31   #2
alfadave11

take engine cover off and locate turbo ...get some one to start engine and you look down at the actuator rod MAKE SURE CARS OUT OF GEAR this should move about 15mm and stay there ...now switch off engine and rod should stay there for a few seconds and then vacuum is released arm will spring back ...if it does this your vac system is healthy
was your turbo shot by the way or was it assumed it was
when was your fuel filter last changed ?
alfadave11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2015, 21:51   #3
YorkS40

Fuel filter was changed 2 weeks ago. Re-manufactured turbo fitted on Saturday, it was assumed that the turbo was shot.

The only other thing i would note is that the lack of power issue has happened to me a few times over the past 6 months. However the lack of power only lasted a few hundred yards down the street when cold, then power has kicked in no problem at all for the rest of the journey, now it is permanent.

Should the vacuum system be okay on a re-manufactured turbo?

Cheers
Old Nov 24th, 2015, 23:17   #4
alfadave11

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkS40 View Post
Fuel filter was changed 2 weeks ago. Re-manufactured turbo fitted on Saturday, it was assumed that the turbo was shot.

The only other thing i would note is that the lack of power issue has happened to me a few times over the past 6 months. However the lack of power only lasted a few hundred yards down the street when cold, then power has kicked in no problem at all for the rest of the journey, now it is permanent.

Should the vacuum system be okay on a re-manufactured turbo?

Cheers
have you still got old turbo?
the vacuum system operates ecu controlled boost controller ..these adjust the vanes to suit engine exhaust gas speed /volume ..if these don't do their job your car wont boost ..engine can be flat as pancake ..the turbo is what it is ...whether its new or remanufactured
Old Nov 25th, 2015, 01:09   #5
YorkS40

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfadave11 View Post
have you still got old turbo?
the vacuum system operates ecu controlled boost controller ..these adjust the vanes to suit engine exhaust gas speed /volume ..if these don't do their job your car wont boost ..engine can be flat as pancake ..the turbo is what it is ...whether its new or remanufactured
From what I've read I'm lead to believe it could be the Turbo Control Valve. I'm going to have a look at this in the morning as it seems it's easy to get at?...

No old turbo has gone.
Old Nov 25th, 2015, 12:50   #6
YorkS40

Red face

So I had a look at the TCV this morning to see no visible issue.

Having followed the 2 pipes coming out of it into what appears the engine (just left of the centre of the engine as you stand in front) I found that one of them had popped off.

Pushed it back on and it all seems to be working again.

May i note however that the power delivery is quite different; the boost kicks in hard after 2500rpm and the car goes really well, however there isn't much low end boost.

Having spent £600 to find such a minor fault myself I aren't complaining as the power delivery is actually much smoother. Perhaps this is down to the new turbo and MAF sensor?

Touch wood this is the end of my troubles just before Xmas, especially as our lass won't be happy with just a bag of cinders to open on Xmas day.
Old Nov 25th, 2015, 20:27   #7
alfadave11

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkS40 View Post
So I had a look at the TCV this morning to see no visible issue.

Having followed the 2 pipes coming out of it into what appears the engine (just left of the centre of the engine as you stand in front) I found that one of them had popped off.

Pushed it back on and it all seems to be working again.

May i note however that the power delivery is quite different; the boost kicks in hard after 2500rpm and the car goes really well, however there isn't much low end boost.

Having spent £600 to find such a minor fault myself I aren't complaining as the power delivery is actually much smoother. Perhaps this is down to the new turbo and MAF sensor?

Touch wood this is the end of my troubles just before Xmas, especially as our lass won't be happy with just a bag of cinders to open on Xmas day.
it was pipe that was problem NOT turbo expensive lesson assuming
Old Nov 26th, 2015, 00:30   #8
paddyred
Master Member

On a side note, don't kick the ass out of it. The turbo needs wearing in!
Old Nov 26th, 2015, 00:36   #9
alfadave11

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyred View Post
On a side note, don't kick the ass out of it. The turbo needs wearing in!
don't talk rubbish ......all they only need is a new oil feed and priming.and checking no leaks....they ride on a film of oil ..

Tags
2.0d, low boost, low power, s40 07, turbo problems