Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Interior handle stuck in open position [vid]

Views : 1209

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 7th, 2021, 17:32   #1
Miyo360

Exclamation Interior handle stuck in open position [vid]

Hey,

I searched for this issue, but all I found were topics on wobbly handles, or those that don't operate the lock.

So, my 3 year old son was messing about on the drivers seat 🤦 whilst I was outside the car, and we both managed to pull our door handles at the same time - him pulling the interior handle, me pulling the exterior handle.

I didn't hear a 'pang', or any other noises, but it resulted in the interior handle being stuck open. Video of problem

The door closes fine. The exterior handle works fine (it opens the door when closed and/or locked). The doors lock/unlock fine when using the fob. But as the handle doesn't work from the inside, I need to climb out the passenger side each time!

The stuck handle doesn't budge back to the closed position - I've used mediocre force - reluctant to try any harder.

I'm praying this is an easy fix (MOT due in 2 weeks!) and could avoid the expense of a new lock this side of Christmas 😕

Does anyone have any magic tips? 🙏
Miyo360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2021, 17:44   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

No magic tips unfortunately beyond popping off the door card to assess the situation.
In the meantime at the end of a journey, could you not wind down the driver's window so you can operate the handle outside then close everything up?

A bit more graceful than pulling yourself across the car.
Old Dec 7th, 2021, 20:33   #3
dhr90

Have you tried pulling the inside and outside at the same time again? Then push the interior in before releasing the exterior? And variations of that? Otherwise I would agree with Cheshired5 on removing the door card
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 21:24   #4
spaceman2844

If you need to take the door card off and investigate the handle mechanisms, my post on this thread (for replacement of actuator motor) has some useful YouTube links etc. on removing the card, handles etc.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=315765

Good luck. Trickiest part is removing the outer handle if required as you need a long torx screwdriver.
Old Dec 16th, 2021, 15:25   #5
Miyo360

Update: So I got the door panel/card off pretty easy following the YT links recommended by spaceman2844 above.

I noticed the cable which pulls the lock open was not engaged in the back of the door lever. This should be a relatively easy fix, once I get the door card back on.

However, my door lever is sloppy and I can't work out why. I ended up removing the passenger side door panel/card just to compare and can't see any difference.

There is a metal pin running through the casing which holds the chrome lever and spring. This is vertical on the good panel, but something is pushing the pin out of vertical on the bad panel and making the handle feel really wobbly to operate. But I can't work out what. No plastic around this area appears broken/missing. Perhaps the only slight difference is the lining up of the spring (pic, notice the spring isn't horizontally central to the plastic housing - small gap at bottom, large gap at top), I can push it back central but it reverts back to this position after one pull of the lever. Rather than try to fix this, perhaps I could simply replace the handle...

My question therefore is, is the handle part replaceable? See pic. Looking at the mounts around the handle section (black), it looks all molded into the main plastic (white)

Thanks in advance. I'm off to look at the volvo parts website.
Old Dec 16th, 2021, 16:04   #6
Miyo360

Turns out you can buy just the "opener", although no idea how you fit this given the moldings on my pictures in the above comment.

https://parts.volvocars.ca/p/Volvo_2.../39857005.html

Quote from Volvo dealer for this new part is £117, includes VAT.
Old Dec 16th, 2021, 16:25   #7
Deck1ng
Master Member

It might be a little simpler once the old unit is out, I was going to suggest you contact a breaker, at £117 they are not cheap. But in retrospect with new. 1, you know it should fit, and 2 it is the correct part.
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2021, 16:47   #8
Miyo360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck1ng View Post
It might be a little simpler once the old unit is out,
I think that's where I'm going to struggle. Does the assembly just pop out?

If you zoom into my pic, the black moldings appear to be melted into place?! Or is that some sort of cap that can be popped off?

Compare it to this pic of the back of a new unit

How do I remove/reinstall the assembly based off this picture?
Old Dec 16th, 2021, 22:02   #9
Deck1ng
Master Member

This is where having a new unit in the hand would help, I agree the fixings do look to be melted/welded into place, if this was obvious on the new unit, you would assume “dremmel” the weld off, and weld the new with a soldering iron or similar .
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deck1ng For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2021, 11:13   #10
Miyo360

I have the door card back on for now. It's not a nice feeling to pull the handle, but it does work, so I'll live with it through the MOT. Meanwhile, I'm going to hunt around various breakers for another complete door card, as this will probably be the easiest and cheapest option.

The dremmel option makes sense, but I don't fancy my skills at doing this, or working out how to attach the new assembly!

Now, another issue... when putting the passenger door card back on I noticed I had knocked the locking pin out of place, so the pin isn't connected to the lock any more and just flops about. Urgh That is a separate issue, so I'll create a new topic for that.

Tags
door handle, lock, stuck