Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Any tips on adjusting steering box

Views : 4263

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 10th, 2016, 07:45   #1
CLIVERALLY
Master Member

Default Any tips on adjusting steering box

Got a P1800. My understanding is that you
1 . Raise car so both wheels are off the deck and steering wheels is dead ahead
2. Loosen aduster lock nut
3. Screw out the adjuster
4. Screw in adjuster until the pitman arm moves slightly when steeringis moved
5. Lock the adjuster

Is this correct?

"Lets turn up the juice and see what shakes loose"
CLIVERALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2016, 10:06   #2
arcturus
arcturus

The question has to be, why do you think that it needs adjusting?
Old Aug 10th, 2016, 11:42   #3
dingov70
Master Member

I have always adjusted steering boxes with weight of vehicle on the front wheels .

Reason ? , because it allows you to judge more accurately any free movement in the box without the wheels actually turning .

Slacken lock nut & turn back slightly adjuster bolt & begin to tighten with a helper ROCKING the steering wheel gently to show how much slack you have as you begin to adjust .

A quick tip wrap single piece of tape around top of wheel to show center line , as you adjust & redcue the amount of free play in the box you are aiming to limit the free play to about 1 inch / 25mm for the catholics either side of the steering wheels centre line . Tighten the locking nut & recheck nothing has loosened or become too tight . Job done , brew on & feet up
Old Aug 10th, 2016, 11:46   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
The question has to be, why do you think that it needs adjusting?
Yes indeed. Just because you seem to have a lot of play at the steering wheel isn't a reason to adjust. 1" to 1 1/2" either side of centre is normal due to the way the box works. To save writing things out scroll down this pdf and read the instructions there. Make sure the oil is topped up. Replace lower seal if leaking. The adjusting screw has a very coarse thread which means a lot of adjustment for a fraction of a turn. Think of adjusting in increments of an 1/8th of a turn or less. Err on the side of slackness. There are no new worm/gear parts out there to repair these boxes.

http://www.amazoncars.co.uk/pdfs/Suspension.pdf
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2016, 12:05   #5
SwallownAmazon

I concur with a previous poster - adjustment must be done with the weight of the car on the front wheels; i.e. as in normal use.
You will find that even with no slack at the dead-ahead position, there will be considerable slack on lock. This is quite normal.
SwallownAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2016, 14:23   #6
Volvorama
Too many cats

Default Careful

As pointed out above, beware of over-tight adjustment which will wreck the steering box. I've come across several 120s, 140s, 1800s and 164s where someone has attempted to eliminate any play - with dire consequences. These cars will never feel like a rack-and-pinion vehicle but a small amount of slack doesn't affect driving. It's a good idea to make sure that the various ball joints are OK in case these are the cause, as I usually find that the steering boxes should not need frequent adjustment.
If you want to feel better about play in your Volvo's steering, try driving a series Landrover....
Old Aug 10th, 2016, 16:18   #7
dingov70
Master Member

Ah Volvorama , you've taken me back to my Landrover dealer days .

I always ALWAYS had the steering rocked to search out any worn ball joints , loose drop arms on relay & steering box or any play in mounted items ( relay & steering box ) . It was amazing how often the slop could be removed by ensuring nothing was worn or loose .
Old Aug 10th, 2016, 16:37   #8
CLIVERALLY
Master Member

OK update...wiggled the shaft and there is a very slight discernable movement on the pitman bit at the wheel about 2"...so have left it alone.
However there is a clunking from the relay(idler) at the other side.I fitted a new bush (from a reputable Volvo supplier) and torqued the nut to 60ftp.
It seems something ain't right and the clunk can be heard in Patagonia!! Wonder if the rubber has waltzed awayWill rag out the bush once car is off the road for the year and sort it then. Abit miffed really ..I have one of the fancy ones with the grease nipple so will fit that.

Old Aug 10th, 2016, 16:47   #9
Volvo_133
VOC member

Hi Clive,
Strip and clean the old 1 with the grease nipple, re pack with grease.
The 3 fixing bolts from your existing idler will just, only just, bottom out on the threads before they are tight. I presume the body on the older type is slightly smaller than the later type. A slightly thicker washer than original sorted mine.
My amazon steering is now more positive, you cant beat the old stuff!!!
Chris.
Volvo_133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2016, 16:54   #10
CLIVERALLY
Master Member

Sorry should have been clearer . I have the later type with no nipple which is giving me the bother. I fitted a replacement bush which is where the noise is coming from.. I have a Gucci one i bought a few months ago that has a grease nipple but never fitted it...wish I had