Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1998 v90 ambulance rear brakes

Views : 1003

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 2nd, 2022, 07:50   #11
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Very often the 283mm discs are listed 280mm "nominal size" because the pads don't go to the very edge of the disc - might be worth investigating a bit more.

Also Lakes, good though they are, are a breakers yard so you're unlikely to find new discs there. That said, they do sell some new parts.

You really need to be sure of all measurements before pulling the trigger on any discs as they are heavy and expensive to send back if they're wrong.

Have you looked closely to see if there is an original part number on your present discs? Also it's unlikely that 850 discs would be right, the 850 is FWD and as far as i'm aware, the V90 (or at least the early ones) were essentially facelifted 960s and RWD.

I'll try to check the measurements on my old discs tomorrow (weather permitting) as if memory serves, they were called 280mm but are in fact 283mm.
I have just measured a new pair of Brembo discs for the rear of my 940 and if I hold the tap measure still on one side and move it around the other, the largest measurement I can get it to is 281mm so standard 280m discs aren't the same as those listed as 283mm unfortunately.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 2nd, 2022, 08:27   #12
volvohp

Quote:
Very often the 283mm discs are listed 280mm "nominal size" because the pads don't go to the very edge of the disc - might be worth investigating a bit more.

Also Lakes, good though they are, are a breakers yard so you're unlikely to find new discs there. That said, they do sell some new parts.

You really need to be sure of all measurements before pulling the trigger on any discs as they are heavy and expensive to send back if they're wrong.

Have you looked closely to see if there is an original part number on your present discs? Also it's unlikely that 850 discs would be right, the 850 is FWD and as far as i'm aware, the V90 (or at least the early ones) were essentially facelifted 960s and RWD.

I'll try to check the measurements on my old discs tomorrow (weather permitting) as if memory serves, they were called 280mm but are in fact 283mm.

Thanks for the info.

Yes we have tried 280mm discs. Unfortunately they were too small and didn't cover the carrier enough so the pads were not fully contacting the disc.

Yes they do have an original volvo part number stamped on them. Spoke to volvo norwich and they provided the superceded disc but unfortunately they are different, too low. Volvo uk offered various possibilities so volvo norwich ordered them all in but none were compatible.

The latest disc I have is for an 850. Tried it yesterday but it is not high enough at the front (only 27mm but need 35mm as per image). Everything else was perfect, just the height. This meant it would not sit all the way back. The carrier would not fit and you could see almost a quarter of the brake shoes.

Will be taking it back to motor parts direct on Monday

Yes please if you can check, I can feed that back to volvo and see what they say.
volvohp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvohp For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 2nd, 2022, 21:00   #13
Ian21401
Premier Member

TomSaintJames has a thread about his hearse ( morbidmobile )which he is proposing to convert to a campervan. Is it worth contacting him to ascertain which discs it has fitted?

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.

Last edited by Ian21401; Apr 2nd, 2022 at 21:02.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 2nd, 2022, 21:19   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
TomSaintJames has a thread about his hearse ( morbidmobile )which he is proposing to convert to a campervan. Is it worth contacting him to ascertain which discs it has fitted?
Good idea Ian but i'm 99% sure he has the standard 740 rear discs, i don't recall him having trouble sourcing any brake parts for it.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 2nd, 2022, 21:40   #15
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Good idea Ian but i'm 99% sure he has the standard 740 rear discs, i don't recall him having trouble sourcing any brake parts for it.
It had a standard 740 axle and brake setup and now it has a 940 rear axle with the same brakes.

The 960 has IRS and a completely different setup but good thinking Ian.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:

Tags
ambulance, rear brakes, v90