Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bird S$%t

Views : 675

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 17th, 2015, 20:16   #1
spezzer

Default Bird S$%t

Took delivery of brand new leased XC60 last week - got attacked by cherry picking stone sh1tting birds at wifes work today

I got to work on it with warm soapy but the bonnet is looking pretty nasty. Image below. Any suggestions? If I run a finger over the affected area it feels smooth - its seems to have affected the actual paintwork/laquer.

Here is an image...

http://1drv.ms/1J31kej

Last edited by spezzer; Jun 17th, 2015 at 20:19.
spezzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 20:32   #2
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Had the same issue and the dealer sorted it FOC
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 21:38   #3
warlord0

That's not looking too good, but the paint around it needs some proper attention too! Very swirly.

I'd get some G3 tar remover and then give it a good polish with Autoglym SRP. Then do the rest of the car if it's as swirly as that.

This is one of the reasons I go to town on polishing, sealing and waxing. If you get bird crap on it you have some more protection and it comes of easier, without lasting damage, hopefully.
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 21:42   #4
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Looks like it has already etched for full removal chances are you need someone with a machine polisher to sort that
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 09:42   #5
960kg
Premier Member

That is exactly how it affected my V70 and V40 ...i think all Volvos are the same no matter what model or year!, sadly i have always lived on the coast with seagulls...

It doesn`t matter how much you spend on super duper products for polishing or cleaning the motor the acid in the $hite eats away the lacquer if left on to dry.

The very very sad part about it all is even if the dealer repairs FOC it will always happen again wherever one goes....also don`t park under trees in the summer with a Volvo!

"T" cut will remove the mark unless too deep.

This is another good reason of my owning a Mercedes...Lol....it is not affected and just washes off without a trace or mark of any kind........must be the quality of the paints!

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

Last edited by 960kg; Jun 18th, 2015 at 09:46.
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 09:44   #6
rich1068
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
Looks like it has already etched for full removal chances are you need someone with a machine polisher to sort that
This.

Happened on my wife's old Touran. Tried every product under the sun. Only a machine will touch that.
rich1068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 09:46   #7
brickman
Premier Member

What have you been using to wash that car? Looks like a few years old not new to me! Or the top coat is made of cheese/ harsh chemicals been used?

Though TBF I saw a 2014 reg red Audi A3 last week that was in a terrible state, had 5+ years worth of swirl on it and starting to 'dust' on the roof and bonnet, pretty shonky!
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 20:33   #8
spezzer

Default What kind of paint is it?

Thanks for all your useful comments but.......your not going to believe it.........its gone!!

I am stunned! I was only onto Volvo at City Motors Bristol yesterday who tried to sell me paint protection - bit late I figured. Went out and looked at it this evening and lo and behold - its only bloody fixed itself!

What the hell happened - anybody figure that one?

The only thing I read was the bird crap holds moisture in the laquer/varnish (whatever it is) and effectively refracts the light making it look defective. I think I mentioned in my first entry it felt smooth to touch so figure maybe that was the problem. Glad I took a pic otherwise I might sound crazy!

As for the comment about finish looking years old - well its not even 2 weeks. Its had one wash with warm soapy water and a cold rinse. It looks pretty good to me though - maybe the flash didnt do it any favours but can see what you mean in the flash reflection.

Happy Bunny!

Last edited by spezzer; Jun 18th, 2015 at 20:36.
spezzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 21:13   #9
rich1068
I've Been Banned

Forget I said anything then
rich1068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2015, 12:05   #10
960kg
Premier Member

Your lucky!.....my marks never went away......maybe the seagulls diet if different down here, especially the ones that open the rubbish bags...Lol

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote