Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

rear suspension overhaul coming up..advice?

Views : 2673

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2008, 18:52   #1
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

Default rear suspension overhaul coming up..advice?

Hi...missed you all..its been a long time...i inspected rear trailing arms closely to discover both have rust holes ..not in great condition...major mot failiure methinks...after much searching and reading it seems replacing the axle bushings will be the most difficult part?.....So i plan to replace both trailing arms..shocks and springs and axle bushes for sure..The worldwide general opinion is that you ideally need the bush removal tool or take to a garage and have them pressed in...i"m currently investigating making the tool....my question is...can this job be done without these two methods..if anyone has done this job with or without the press/removal tool..i would be very interested to hear your experiences ie...job time/unexpected hitches etc...thanks hj.
honestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 21:05   #2
Andrew (UK)
VOC Member

Mike Brace did a series of articles with detailed instructions and pictures which are all worth reading. In particular you should read this one http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=53077 where he tells his method of replacing those bushings using a hole cutter to gut the old one and replacing with polyurethane ones. Seems eminently possible to me.
Andrew (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 22:15   #3
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

Thanks andrew...checking it out now...hj.........WOW!....mike"s the man!...i hope i can get my hands on poly bushes..cheers!

Last edited by honestjoe; Aug 16th, 2008 at 23:18.
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 10:51   #4
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Hi 'HJ' . Mikes 'fab' how to was carried out on my 240 here in France. Poly- bushes. I'm a complete novice. Mike did the N/S and talked me through it. The off-side was down to me (mainly) with Mikes eagle eye watching!

Springs done too.

My rear shocks were only about 2 years old when we did the work. I have to say the handling of the car improved majorly & the car sits visibly higher at the rear.

No special tools needed doing the work with the 'Mike method'.

Good Luck.
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 12:32   #5
Andrew (UK)
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honestjoe View Post
Thanks andrew...checking it out now...hj.........WOW!....mike"s the man!...i hope i can get my hands on poly bushes..cheers!
Mike is indeed the man.

http://www.superflex.co.uk/results.p...=267&Search=Go amongst other places.

Andrew
Andrew (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 14:03   #6
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

Hi paul...i noticed it was your car and the springs looked recent..i found the poly bushes online(spf1312) both sides for about £50+...i"ve already received the trailing arms and heavy duty springs..(special thanks to steve at the braydon motor company)..very quick turnaround...look very much forward to getting stuck into this job and putting it behind me..then its replace steering to rack shaft (which i"ve got) and cambelt and weeping waterpump seal..thanks for the replies...hj.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 08:03   #7
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

Good morning all...just to keep everything up to date..i ordered the bushing kit for both sides of rear suspension yesterday(superflex poly)..spoke to a very helpful chap called chris...should arrive this morning..total £70.00...now i have almost everything to tackle this job bar the shocks that gsf have put by for me to pick up saturday...so job starts saturday and hopefully have it completed by sunday lunchtime..(as i need car sunday afternoon)..i"ll take pictures of the trailing arms to show you the poor condition..its very strange as the rest of the car is in very good condition...i have thought about rust proofing the second hand replacements?....its funny..i was a plant hire fitter for many years and would think nothing of getting stuck in to any challenge...but when i gave it up i found that suddenly i did not like getting my hands dirty...i"m only doing this job purely from a labour charge point of view..so with that all said...lets see how i get on at the weekend...cheers hj.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 08:53   #8
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Good Luck, I know it'll be worht it once done. And as you say, the labour charges you are saving - that is, if you could find a garage willing to take it on...........
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 15:20   #9
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Luck with the job..

As for rust-proofing the 2nd hand parts. I would say yes, to the point of giving the a good clean-up, galvanising (using an acid etch and zinc primer0 and then finishing.
After all, the part is only going to get worse, not better, and the better it is going on - the longer it will last..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 18:46   #10
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

Thanks paul...with myself sometimes its a confidence issue but i"ve done my homework for this overhaul and as for the unexpected well...i"ll tell all monday!!...and thanks des sound advice...i was only going to slap on a few coats of underseal due to time restrictions..now if i dont do what you suggested i reckon i"ll have to replace them again in five years..what is it with the salt down here in kent?...regards hj.