Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Petrol pours out the filler mechanism when full!

Views : 7447

Replies : 89

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 19th, 2023, 09:46   #11
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM83 View Post
This has happened a few times on my XC90 at my local garage but interestingly haven’t had it recently when I’ve filled up elsewhere, so leads me to assume the pump has a bearing on the matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebarchetta View Post
I was having this problem too. I found that making sue the nozzle was firmly and squarely in the opening helped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
SPA cars have two fuel filler flaps. The first one is obvious but the second one is further down the pipe. The nozzle has to be fully inserted to completely open the second flap otherwise fuel may spill out.
Interesting. I spoke to the top mechanic at my local Volvo and he said two interesting things.

The first was like what bluebarchetta has said in that handle needs to be in a specific orientation to work properly, however this position could be anywhere. No reason why, but he said to give it a go.

Second was that he's had a couple of other SPA cars do the same thing for no reason whatsoever. They take the filler necks off and they are identical and fine yet one spills fuel out and the other doesn't. Now how they determine 'fine' I don't know as I'd be doing pressure tests and material compatibility etc as they may appear identical and fine to the naked eye but if a seal has got a split or air can get in that would explain it.

They said to book it in so they can have a good look as clearly it's not normal and they can just change the entire filler next very quickly under warranty, so that's the next step, but I do want to the try the orientation thing first as I'm very intrigued (and sceptical )

20 plate XC60 Inscription Pro T8 PHEV + Polestar
Yelper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2023, 15:08   #12
piorunz

Same on my 2021 XC60 T8. 25% of the time, on various fuel stations, it will just spill. No matter how hard I push it down the tank throat. If I go super-slow on last 10 litres, it will be fine. Never had it on any other car.
Old Aug 21st, 2023, 17:55   #13
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by piorunz View Post
Same on my 2021 XC60 T8. 25% of the time, on various fuel stations, it will just spill. No matter how hard I push it down the tank throat. If I go super-slow on last 10 litres, it will be fine. Never had it on any other car.
I'll get mine booked into the stealers and let you know what they find as clearly I'm not an isolated case 👍🏻

Old Aug 21st, 2023, 21:11   #14
piorunz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelper85 View Post
I'll get mine booked into the stealers and let you know what they find as clearly I'm not an isolated case 👍🏻
Good idea. I may go to mine if you are successful. Good luck.
Old Sep 14th, 2023, 09:36   #15
Yelper85

Quote:
Good idea. I may go to mine if you are successful. Good luck.
Had the car in yesterday and Volvo confirmed the valve inside the neck/filler mechanism is faulty. They have seen this on a couple of other cars apparently.

I did ask for a more detailed explanation of how it's actually failed and how they have determined this given nothing was removed and the car was not filled up for a 'demonstration' of the issue, but they just went with the line of 'it's happened before on others' so my assumption is they've just checked with a borescope, found nothing, so decided it must be the valve mechanism.

Annoying, but at least it's being replaced free of charge, just need to get it booked in again as the part is coming from abroad.

Hope this helps, and of course I'll reply back once I've filled it up for the first time once the part has been replaced to confirm.

Oh and by the way, apparently the entire fuel tank has to be removed . . .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yelper85 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2023, 10:40   #16
Haldex
Premier Member

I fail to see an added benefit of these capless fillers.. Just another unnecessary complication added to an already complicated car..

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2023, 14:53   #17
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
I fail to see an added benefit of these capless fillers.. Just another unnecessary complication added to an already complicated car..
This way Volvo get more money out of you once you get sick of looking like you've wet yourself when filling up

I'm actually very surprised it's not been a recall item given it's to do with Petrol plus how safety conscious Volvo are. I really would love to know how it's failed in detail because surely it's not a batch issue and more a design flaw?

Old Sep 18th, 2023, 23:36   #18
piorunz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelper85 View Post
Had the car in yesterday and Volvo confirmed the valve inside the neck/filler mechanism is faulty. They have seen this on a couple of other cars apparently.

I did ask for a more detailed explanation of how it's actually failed and how they have determined this given nothing was removed and the car was not filled up for a 'demonstration' of the issue, but they just went with the line of 'it's happened before on others' so my assumption is they've just checked with a borescope, found nothing, so decided it must be the valve mechanism.

Annoying, but at least it's being replaced free of charge, just need to get it booked in again as the part is coming from abroad.

Hope this helps, and of course I'll reply back once I've filled it up for the first time once the part has been replaced to confirm.

Oh and by the way, apparently the entire fuel tank has to be removed . . .
Great result. I'm calling my local Volvo tomorrow.
Old Sep 19th, 2023, 10:18   #19
Yelper85

Quote:
If you need any more info to support your case piorunz, message me directly 👍🏻

The Following User Says Thank You to Yelper85 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 26th, 2023, 19:33   #20
Yelper85

Quote:
So, bit of an update.

Had the filler neck replaced today which is a full day job as the entire tank is dropped out underneath the car. Volvo assured me this will have fixed the problem (I think you see where this is going)

Filled up at a station I've never used before to rule out that factor, and guess what, the petrol fountain once again decided to put on a little show for me covering the car, floor, and me, in petrol. Not impressed. Annoyingly I didn't think to take a video, although I don't know if the forecourt attendant may have said something if I was stood next to the car with my phone out.

Ringing Volvo tomorrow to give them the good news and ask where we go from here, although what else it could be I don't know. What I am curious about is if the filler neck includes the top flap mechanism where the nozzle first goes it. The rubber drain plug as been replaced and the new one is white and not black, so maybe the filler neck is one complete item, but if so, why is it still doing it?

I'll keep you posted!