Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tyre sizes front vs rear?

Views : 548

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 12th, 2023, 17:35   #1
Zephyr77

Default Tyre sizes front vs rear?

Hi all,

Just bought a 2002 V70 T5 with unknown aftermarket alloys on it, and the tyres on them are 235/40/18 on the front and 245/40/18 on the rear, is this OK? Excuse my ignorance, I assume that this is intentional on the previous owner's part, I'm just confused as I've never had a car where the fronts and the rears are different sizes before. Logic would indicate that if anything, the driven wheels would benefit more from the wider tyres, or am I wrong? Thanks in advance.
Zephyr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2023, 17:52   #2
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Any handling difference caused by the rear tires being less than 1/2" wider than the fronts is likely unmeasurable.

Are the 4 tires the same?
Are the 4 aftermarket wheels the same -the same part number, not merely the same look?
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2023, 18:14   #3
Zephyr77

All four wheels are the same as far as I can tell visually, which is obviously extremely limited (haven't found any part numbers etc. anywhere yet without taking them off), but all four tyres are different makes so would appear to have been run on a tight budget, therefore I'm looking at changing them.

Just checking first from those in the know that what's currently on there size-wise seems appropriate/logical and if I'm OK replacing like-for-like sizes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zephyr77 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2023, 19:47   #4
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Id be more concerned about tyre quality (brand) and age / wear, personally

if they're all different as you say that definitely can be a red flag in terms of previous owners commitment to correct maintenance and spending money when it needs to be spent. are they even new or were they putting seconds on

I'd find out what the right size for the rim is and budget for a good matching set

better still if you can find a correct tidy set of OEM wheels on ebay and go back to correct standard

it could even turn into an insurance issue if there's an incident and they decide they want a reason to not pay out

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Sep 12th, 2023 at 19:49.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2023, 21:27   #5
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

All good advice by the posters above. I just wonder if the front tyres are slightly narrower than those on the rear to prevent possible fouling when on full lock. I believe some V70s have a tendency to do so when running wider, possibly non-standard, wheels?

Regards, John.
Old Sep 13th, 2023, 08:52   #6
Dippydog
Premier Member

I can't see it being much of an issue unless you carry a full size spare wheel[in which case which size tyre would you carry?]although personally I'd go for all the tyres being the same size and don't forget just as importantly is to check they equal[or exceed] the speed/weight rating for the car.One possible slight issue could be,depending on where its signal is picked up from, that the speedometer could read under/over because of the "wrong" size tyre.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2023, 11:38   #7
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

How many miles are on this '02 V70? What transmission does it have?

Was the V70 bought via private sale, used car dealer? What's its general condition -other than mismatched tires?

Do you do any work on cars yourself? It's hard for us to coach a new Volvo owner without knowing.

Check the air pressures in these mismatched tires to more fully understand the previous owner's 'care level'.

If mismatched tires are indeed an indicator of woeful maintenance I suggest removing the oil fill cap and looking at its underside.
As heat rises upon shutdown, blackened garbage accumulates.
Lots of chunks of black could indicate incorrect oil type. The use of cheaper oils is common.
All you need do now is look and see.

A full round of fluid maintenance might be smart for this 22 year old estate.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2023, 12:31   #8
Zephyr77

2002 T5, geartronic, 94500 miles. Excellent condition inside and out, bought privately, 5 previous owners, up until 2 years ago every stamp in the book like clockwork by a Volvo dealer. Timing belt and water pump just over 2 years ago by main dealer. Oil looks reasonable (last evidence of change just over 2 years ago). Obviously very well cared for until...

Seems to have "gone wrong" with the previous owner over the last 2 years, no servicing evident, so intend to do fluids and filters ASAP as well as sorting tyres out. All tyre pressures OK but judging from all the above evidence and the borderline state of the tyres it looks like the previous owner was probably putting part-worns on it, which is why I need to change them ASAP hence the original tyre sizing question. MOTd yesterday, only advisory was tyres.

Last edited by Zephyr77; Sep 13th, 2023 at 12:38.
Old Sep 16th, 2023, 14:43   #9
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
Id be more concerned about tyre quality (brand) and age / wear, personally ...............................
it could even turn into an insurance issue if there's an incident and they decide they want a reason to not pay out
If the tyres don't match the spec of the original manufacture it does become an insurance issue - the only exception is using winter tyre variants but there too you do need to inform your insurer - if using all weather tyres that match the the original selling spec. you should not have an insurance problem. If in doubt contact your insurer, saves you so much grief if you get it wrong.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote