Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 2008 Dynaudio Premium Speaker Question

Views : 483

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 26th, 2021, 19:04   #1
Spacemonkey

Default C70 2008 Dynaudio Premium Speaker Question

So when I bought my 2008 C70 it had premium stereo with the Dynaudio speakers. Yay! Except half have blown...
So I ordered a complete set of PREMIUM speakers from Erie Volvo in the US through ebay, from a 2011 C70, but was told they'd fit.

But they're different...

The centre speaker is different (but on removal of the panel I discovered that mine IS working so left it be).

Left side 8" speaker is dead on mine but occasionally kicked in and crackled back out. So I removed the door panel and wiggling with the connector and wires didn't make it work, but pluggin in the Erie speaker and it worked all the time. But... the original speaker is a conventional style magnet/poly cone with Dynaudio white speaker and made in Denmark, whereas the Erie speaker is some weird design with the magnet (much smaller IMHO) on the INSIDE of the cone with a big metal spider for support, and has yellow stickwers saying made in Hungary and no mention anywhere of Dynaudio. All the other Erie speakers are yellow stickered, made in Hungary and no mention of Dynaudio. My original centre speaker even has Dynaudio printed on the PCB!

So what are these things and are they the same? As it's from the US (and I got the parcel a coupoe of months ago but only just got around to fitting) there zero chance of returning them. So should I seak out an original style Dynaudio or use these? Are they better...? Tbh, I think my right Dynaudio speaker sounds bassier than the left Erie one.

And does anyone know the ohms of the original Dynaudio 8" so that I could consider aftermarket options?

Erie speakers look like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/23324828076...MAAOSwPfBdyv9Q

My originals look like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/23247658094...AAAOSw5LRdp0gC
Spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 09:21   #2
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Volvo sound system names can be very confusing, if you are looking to replace speakers like for like I would go on part numbers.

Dynaudio speakers are supposed to be better than the standard. Saying that, if you've fitted one of your replacements and it sounds OK to you then I'd go with it. From my experience, none of the Volvo sound systems/speaker combinations are bad.
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2021, 06:58   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

My experience of the Dynaudio systems is that they are very high quality sound but fragile... I’ve owned 3 Mk 1 C70 and one had all blown bass drivers, another half of them. On the Mk 2 C70 the package was much less common so likely to be much harder to get replacements... Volvo severed ties with Dynaudio not long after Ford sold them.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2021, 08:14   #4
Spacemonkey

Thanks guys, I fitted the yellow label one for now and sound is much improved, but have managed to track down a pair of Dynaudio bass cones as per my originals and will fit one, and keep other as spare. I might fit the yellow lable ones in my van as they're quite good.
Spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote