Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Noisy tappets? Newbie help

Views : 1773

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 13th, 2021, 17:58   #1
Pills74

Default Noisy tappets? Newbie help

Hi all, wonder if anyone can help. I have read a few post about this before but just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas. I have had my 2004 xc70 d5 with 110000 miles for about 6 months and spent a fortune restoring it as it needed a few things doing. But lately after changing my oil to a thinner grade it sounds like my tappets are rattling and making the engine sound rough. When I start from cold I also get a low thudding noise for about 1 min then it just disappears? I changed my oil back to a 10w40 which helped for about a week and the vac pump which improved the engine loads but I'm now thinking it's tappets. Anyone got an idea of price to have them done, cambelts due next year so will get that done at the same time.
Thanks
Pills74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2021, 23:08   #2
5cilinder
Premier Member

Its more common that this happens to euro 4 dpf engines..... post a clip of the sound including startup..... dont use a semi synthetic 10w40 use a synthetic 5w40 that 40 is the same viscosity at warmed up engine ...but the synthetic baseoil is more resistant to coking your hot turbo bearings.... also the 5 before the w is quicker oilcirculation at startup

And what ẗhinner"grade did u use?

Last edited by 5cilinder; Sep 13th, 2021 at 23:21.
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 5cilinder For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 02:33   #3
SIAMBLUE
Premier Member

I think the oil viscosity is supposed to be 0/40 in the handbook.

V70 P2 facelift D5 6sp manual E4 Sport SE Ocean Race Blue pearl (2005) 97k, standard.
SIAMBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 08:18   #4
5cilinder
Premier Member

Its a range of viscosities i believe if you see the handbook... but it needs to be a/b 4 synthetic
Every turbo engine needs a full synthetic group 4 base oil
Regardless what the dealer says

The turbo bearings are the hottest part and burn not synthetic oil which leaves residue. Especially after brisk driving and shutting of the engine and the oil circulation stops.

In my opinion its even also the best oils for non turbo engines.... look at older gasoline engines without proper oil cooling inside that used semi synthetic oils... they all have that purple/gold brown glow of a layer of varnish that is created with instable oils and hot temperatures and a lot of time

A d5 with regularly changed synthetic oils that are properly cooled ..and lower burning temperatures than a gasoline engine.. are spotless clean inside regardless of the "soothy"oil

Last edited by 5cilinder; Sep 14th, 2021 at 08:38.
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 09:45   #5
Pills74

Cool

Thanks guys, i will try a 5w40 next oil change, I think i used a 5w30 last time. I always keep to the right oil spec in regards to A4 B4 etc cant quite remember the exact but i got it from the hand book. It just sounds like tappets but i got to thinking it maybe an injector but they all sound the same when i check them on tick over? i can hear it a lot more under load or around 2000rpm when im taking a long hill or something. The reason im thinking tappets is because as i take my foot of the pedal i can hear the ticking/tapping noise speed up slightly and slow down again until i put my foot on the pedal again like on an over run, would an injector do that as well? I will try a video but will have to work out how to post it!
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 09:58   #6
5cilinder
Premier Member

If it completely vanishes with foot of the pedal its more likely an injector(s)
If it wont vanish it could be tappets but also other things like bearings or even something auxillary outside of the engine.
But the thumping noise could be of some soft tappets wich cause some exhaust pulses escape in the inlet.
But thats more a thing in the euro 4 dpf engine with 0w30 oil without zinc dopes and lots of diesel dillution which wears the tappets
The euro 3 engine have the proper zinc dope oil mandated and no dpf diesel dillution and normally not this failure .
But maybe you had a broken injector which dillutes your oil .
A sound clip tells more than some guessing
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 09:41   #7
Pills74

I need to have a good look around and check a few things. I'm listening all the time I'm driving so the process goes like this, start from cold engine sounds ok not ticking and reasonably quiet. Thumping sound comes in for about 30 seconds then goes of and tune of engine changes. Start to drive and engine is super quite Until the temp gets to about a quarter then the dreaded ticking clacking sound starts and you can hear it as described before under load more but will clear around 2200rpm as i think the engine drowns out the sound. I did notice i can hear it slightly on the motor way when I'm cruising along at 70. I'm going to try and record it the weekend. Sounds good on tick over but i can get a ticking knocking noise around 1500rpm when sat in park and raise the rpm so I'm going to grab someone from work today to sit in the car and raise the rpm and i will listen to the injectors with a screwdriver. I'm hoping its going to be an injector but will see how i get on today.
Old Sep 19th, 2021, 12:38   #8
reggit
Premier Member

On my old P2 D5 I put the wrong spec oil in (the A/B number) and it sounded appalling even though the viscosity was right, swapped to the correct spec and it was much quieter. Can’t remember now what the A/B number is, but check you’ve got it right.
Old Sep 19th, 2021, 13:29   #9
cheshired5
Premier Member

Shell Helix Ultra 5 40 is the best B4 oil I've found for the Euro 3 D5 and I won't use anything else.

1:200 dilution of low ash mineral 2 stroke oil in the fuel tank every 5 or so fill ups helps smooth out the overall experience too.
Old Sep 19th, 2021, 15:07   #10
5cilinder
Premier Member

That 2 stroke oil is not needed anymore....the blended bio-diesel lubricates the hp pump even better.

https://www.sae.org/publications/tec.../2005-01-3672/
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...76610215013879

Also the dopes in the 2 stroke oil can form deposits in the injectors

https://www.fuelexpert.co.za/2-strok...ical-study.php