Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 2.4d p3 idle problem

Views : 2203

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 15th, 2021, 23:50   #1
thor43

Default V70 2.4d p3 idle problem

So i have bought me a v70 p3 a few months ago.. this is my first diesel volvo, always had t4s and t5s..
Anyway its a 2.4d, 163hp, it has 350k km..it is kinda slow, wated to chiptune it, but wont do it before i solve this problem. So when i bought it the car was shaking a bit at idle, its an automatic (also my first auto tranny) so in P and N there was a bit of shaking.. the owner also told me about this shaking, but he said it was the lower mount. Ok no problem. It even looked and sounded as a bad mount.. anyway took the car home in the next weeks i changed air filter, fuel filter, injector washers, changed oil, changed tranny oil.. fixed a few problems with the intake pipes, changed that lower mount.. anyway now after changing that mount the problem became a bit more obvious.
In two months i managed to gather this info by observing measurimg etc.
Anyway when the car is cold all is good, as soon as the engine warms up a bit theres like a slight missfire as if the car is working on 4 cylinders. But only in park and neutral!
With a obd tester you can see that when this peoblem is happening the rpms are fluctuating from around 630 to 760 rpm.. and if you turn on the ac, the problem goes away. So if there is no load there is a problem. (My friend said, so you use the ac all the time, problem solved 🤪 haha)
Anyway yesterday i was coming home, was a bit late and was driving fast, i live near the highway, i need like 60 seconds from the highway to my home.. so like i was driving around 200kmph on the highway and when i was home, so no more than 60seconds from when i was driving hard the car i stopped, put it in P and the car was shaking badly! I dont know if i was that tired or the lights in the car including the dash were kinda dimming and going back with the rythms of the weird idle rpms..
The tester also doesnt show and faults..
Its really weird. The only thing that was weird and ive noticed only when i ve already changed the injector washers.. was that i guess the injectors were out of the car for cleaning probably as they havw numbers written on them with a pen.. and the weird thing is the numbers go as 1,2,3,5,4.. or someone by mistake put them in the wrong order.. i guessed that when the engine ia cold it puts a bit more fuel, when it warms up the injectors should spray the precise amount of fuel but they dont because the 4 and 5 are switcched and they need to be coded. But then again some told me that these engines dont need injector coding, they just need to be of the same class.
I dont know.. im a bit lost. Ive tried to put everything about this problem in this text, so if anyone has any clue what couls be wrong id really appreciate it.
Thank you
thor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2021, 09:12   #2
sam1

i didnt have a similar problem but had a similar car, have you checked the EGR valve assembly and the hose from egr to inlet manifold? i had a 2007 v70 163hp, bought with 156,000 miles and there was 10mm of oily soot around the egr valve and hose to intake manifold, cleaned it all and the car ran much much better

Current - '22 XC40 Recharge.
Past - '86 240, '94 940, '07 V70, '91 940, '12 XC70, '06 S80 V8
sam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2021, 15:12   #3
Kev0607
Premier Member

Sounds like an injector issue.

Have you done a leak back test to check the operation of the injectors?

If one or more of them is faulty, that’ll definitely cause a misfire. You need to check the injectors.

I’m fairly sure they need coding, but you can’t do that off a generic code reader.
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 09:01   #4
Mattye

Hi Thor43,
Do you have the VIDA software and a DICE device? These are the Volvo software and hardware interface.
If so you can do a real time check of your injectors and check the fuel adjustment figures. The idle does seem a little low, but again the VIDA software will confirm this.This may help diagnose your issue.
Injectors are certainly a good place to start as well as the cleaning of the EGR and pipes as suggested by SAM1
Mattye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 12:25   #5
thor43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1 View Post
i didnt have a similar problem but had a similar car, have you checked the EGR valve assembly and the hose from egr to inlet manifold? i had a 2007 v70 163hp, bought with 156,000 miles and there was 10mm of oily soot around the egr valve and hose to intake manifold, cleaned it all and the car ran much much better
Yestardat i took off just the pipe that goes from the egr. Wasnt that bad i cleaned some of that gunk anyway. Messy job. Im preparing myself to do this job fully.. but i think ill need a few days of meditation before, if i want a chance to survive through this)
Anyway ill do it today or tomorrow.. and what ive forgot to say is, even if it wasnt that bad i guess i cant bw sure if the plate is really closing fully when it needs to. So yea ill have to disassemble wverything and clean it.
Another thing is.. when the car starts to act up, like i said it does only at idle, and if i turn off the car.. it shuts down like a manual with a f***** DMF. thats why i also think it could be the injectors.. even if the diagnostic shows that all five are like around +/- 0.1-0.2.. ill give this egr a go and then proceede with the injectors. I really like this car. Even tho i dont like diesels this is the best option! I actually love it haha
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 12:26   #6
thor43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Sounds like an injector issue.

Have you done a leak back test to check the operation of the injectors?

If one or more of them is faulty, that’ll definitely cause a misfire. You need to check the injectors.

I’m fairly sure they need coding, but you can’t do that off a generic code reader.
Like i said i also think its the injectors.. when i finish withthe egr ill take my time to take out the injectors do some test.. (my friend will do it) and let you know
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 12:34   #7
thor43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattye View Post
Hi Thor43,
Do you have the VIDA software and a DICE device? These are the Volvo software and hardware interface.
If so you can do a real time check of your injectors and check the fuel adjustment figures. The idle does seem a little low, but again the VIDA software will confirm this.This may help diagnose your issue.
Injectors are certainly a good place to start as well as the cleaning of the EGR and pipes as suggested by SAM1
I just ordered a JLR cable, that should work with vida, vdash or other volvo compatible software.. i should get it in a month. I just cant get ahold of a dice diag or anything here around. Even a guy that i know and he works at a volvo shop, hes on holiday, a long holiday. Im just lucky i guess.
Anyway as soon as i find out something new ill let you know, for now, thank you all for your help!
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 18:22   #8
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor43 View Post
I just ordered a JLR cable, that should work with vida, vdash or other volvo compatible software.. i should get it in a month. I just cant get ahold of a dice diag or anything here around. Even a guy that i know and he works at a volvo shop, hes on holiday, a long holiday. Im just lucky i guess.
Anyway as soon as i find out something new ill let you know, for now, thank you all for your help!
There's a member on here called cheshired5 that sells VIDA/DICE. Then you can do your own diagnostics.

I think he can send it internationally (for extra cost), but you'd have to check with him.
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 23:39   #9
thor43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
There's a member on here called cheshired5 that sells VIDA/DICE. Then you can do your own diagnostics.

I think he can send it internationally (for extra cost), but you'd have to check with him.
I meant to borrow it. I can buy it no problem
But as i said i already ordered the mongoose jlr. Should do the same job as dice but at half the price. Lets hope.
A friend of mine told me today i could have problema with the swirl flaps.. makes sense. Swirl flaps and egr..
He mentioned it as i told him about how rough the engine stops when i shut it down.. when its acting up, otherwise not.
But then again this is a big job. Ill need to take time to clean all this
Old Aug 19th, 2021, 15:27   #10
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor43 View Post
I meant to borrow it. I can buy it no problem
But as i said i already ordered the mongoose jlr. Should do the same job as dice but at half the price. Lets hope.
A friend of mine told me today i could have problema with the swirl flaps.. makes sense. Swirl flaps and egr..
He mentioned it as i told him about how rough the engine stops when i shut it down.. when its acting up, otherwise not.
But then again this is a big job. Ill need to take time to clean all this
EGR is easy to clean. That shouldn’t take too long, unless its totally full of carbon.
Make sure you have plenty of old cloths & towels handy, as well as carburettor cleaner. It can be messy.

Swirl flaps are a much bigger job.