Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2015 V60 D4 CC AWD background vibration

Views : 1103

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 28th, 2021, 15:16   #1
The Thong
VOC Member

Default 2015 V60 D4 CC AWD background vibration

On my way to Volvo600 yesterday I noticed a thrumming (for the want of a better word). It starts about 60mph and goes away once in to the 80mph+ Speeds. There’s more vibration on acceleration and it seems to go away on the over run ie like going down hill. Other than that it thrums away to itself in the back ground. I’ve traveled the internet and not really seen any definitive solutions.

TT
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 16:17   #2
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
On my way to Volvo600 yesterday I noticed a thrumming (for the want of a better word). It starts about 60mph and goes away once in to the 80mph+ Speeds. There’s more vibration on acceleration and it seems to go away on the over run ie like going down hill. Other than that it thrums away to itself in the back ground. I’ve traveled the internet and not really seen any definitive solutions.

TT
Going to assume you have no warning lights or codes.
Any thrum sound to me hints of bearings.. Therefore my first thoughts are wheel bearings, but the sound disappears on over run, which hints at transmission, as the wheels will still rotate the same whether or not on the over-run but the transmission would be loaded differently, on power and during over run .... so thats my opinion. From there its gearbox issues and in the case of AWD... bevel gear....???? Other parts of the AWD system propshaft, haldex; rear diff are reasonably sound, although I have read cases of prop bearings becoming noisey.

just my 2d.

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 19:30   #3
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
Going to assume you have no warning lights or codes.
Any thrum sound to me hints of bearings.. Therefore my first thoughts are wheel bearings, but the sound disappears on over run, which hints at transmission, as the wheels will still rotate the same whether or not on the over-run but the transmission would be loaded differently, on power and during over run .... so thats my opinion. From there its gearbox issues and in the case of AWD... bevel gear....???? Other parts of the AWD system propshaft, haldex; rear diff are reasonably sound, although I have read cases of prop bearings becoming noisey.

just my 2d.

Cheers
Bob
Transmission noises, the pain in the ar5e of all time. My first port of call is try a different set of tyres and work from there. Long gone are the days of checking for end float in the pinion flange and lift on the prop… these modern cars are powered by voodoo and witchcraft.
There’s no warnings snd I don’t have Vida. I’ll go through the simple stuff and work from there
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 20:40   #4
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
Transmission noises, the pain in the ar5e of all time. My first port of call is try a different set of tyres and work from there. Long gone are the days of checking for end float in the pinion flange and lift on the prop… these modern cars are powered by voodoo and witchcraft.
There’s no warnings snd I don’t have Vida. I’ll go through the simple stuff and work from there
I wish you luck.. I chased a rattle to drop links, but i'm so old and hard of hearing I changed the wrong side before my loving wife took pleasure in telling me it was her side rattling not mine

Not sure if cloned Vida would read your car either...2015MY is fine ( my 2014 V70 is 2015MY and can be read fine) but think 2016MY is a car too far.

Cheers
Bob
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 20:30   #5
The Thong
VOC Member

Cheers

I don’t think I’ve described the thrumming noise properly. It’s not like constant thrumming but it’s more of a regular pulsing thrum, it’s hard to describe really. The best way I can describe it is like a Thrummmm, Thrummm, Thrummm that comes and goes between 60 and just above 80. Im going to illuminate tyres first and see where it goes from there.

TT
Old Jul 11th, 2021, 10:27   #6
The Thong
VOC Member

It was a tyre…… Phew!! Did a swap about and fitted some spare wheels I had and the noise has gone… Yay!! Thanks for the input

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2021, 11:36   #7
100K+
Premier Member

Don't understand how tyres cause an unexplained "noise". In my mind a tyre noise is either there or not, and if it is, does it not happen as soon as you put the tyres on??? Surely (to me) it don't creep up on you??
But it must do, as I have read various reports about noise/rumbles which turn out to be tyre related. I'd be interested to know what brand of tyres you ran, as I have never experienced this effect. That said I usually run Michelin ( on my D5) and F1 Goodyears on my now dead T5 & AWD R.

Cheers
Bob
Old Jul 11th, 2021, 20:17   #8
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
Don't understand how tyres cause an unexplained "noise". In my mind a tyre noise is either there or not, and if it is, does it not happen as soon as you put the tyres on??? Surely (to me) it don't creep up on you??
But it must do, as I have read various reports about noise/rumbles which turn out to be tyre related. I'd be interested to know what brand of tyres you ran, as I have never experienced this effect. That said I usually run Michelin ( on my D5) and F1 Goodyears on my now dead T5 & AWD R.

Cheers
Bob
I have a bent rim on my motor so I fitted my spare alloys which “were” ok twelve months ago. I refitted them for a long run with the idea of getting them repainted…. Seems in that twelve months of storage, one of them have started to deteriorate. Ok, they were stored outside but very well covered up away from the weather. They’re not the exact same treat pattern but they’re pretty close. I’d be surprised if that’s been the cause. However, result!! Yay!!