Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Guide: Replacing the boot wiring harness

Views : 41551

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 16th, 2014, 11:54   #11
Snoodini

My apologies for the delayed response. The car comes without any "roof" liner in the boot interior. Bare metal as pictured is what you should expect.
Snoodini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2015, 10:53   #12
sorted83

start by saying sorry for stealing this pics but i had to bridge a wire to get my boot open, then when i started to investigate i found a broken wire. the wire is on the left hand side inside the black rubber sleeve, i trimmed back the wire and re soldered a new piece of wire. total cost of an headache lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZIEcT9Al.jpg (61.2 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 85bHbUOl.jpg (47.8 KB, 74 views)
sorted83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sorted83 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2015, 21:29   #13
RCH2008S40

Default Outstanding guide Snoodini!

Thanks for the excellent pictures and step by step guide. I've got the same problem too with my 2008 S40 2.4i sedan...started out with an intermitent trunk (boot) light, now my trunk automatically unlatches when I start the car and the license plate lights are now out. All associated with numerous wires breaking in the trunk harness.

Looks like I can't ignore it much longer...thanks for the information!
RCH2008S40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2015, 23:06   #14
Wooders

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH2008S40 View Post
Thanks for the excellent pictures and step by step guide. I've got the same problem too with my 2008 S40 2.4i sedan...started out with an intermitent trunk (boot) light, now my trunk automatically unlatches when I start the car and the license plate lights are now out. All associated with numerous wires breaking in the trunk harness.

Looks like I can't ignore it much longer...thanks for the information!
Get it before it gets to the point where the boot doesn't open,turns into one he'll of a job then!
Wooders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 15:39   #15
homer timpson

Updating on this thread to thank user for posting this guide

I followed the instructions for my 2004 S40 - a wire inside the plastic boot had snapped and was easily repaired and has worked fine for 2 years.

My wife's 2010 S40 had the 'boot open light' warning and I traced it to the exact same area - she had a couple of badly frayed wires in the same plastic harness. However, I really had to 'pull down' on the plastic boot to expose the wires and effect a repair. I was frightened that if I'd pulled any firmer I may have snapped the whole loom, so I ended up cutting open the plastic boot entirely to access the wires.

I've carried out the repair and the boot opens and closes fine now - but now I will need a new loom and plastic boot.

My query is this: On the attached photo the loom goes into the main body of the car - where does it go from there?

I can see from the guide where the wires appear to be connected to on the boot side - but where do they go internally?

Homer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plastic boot.jpg (88.9 KB, 74 views)
homer timpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2015, 16:00   #16
benrpatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer timpson View Post
Updating on this thread to thank user for posting this guide

I followed the instructions for my 2004 S40 - a wire inside the plastic boot had snapped and was easily repaired and has worked fine for 2 years.

My wife's 2010 S40 had the 'boot open light' warning and I traced it to the exact same area - she had a couple of badly frayed wires in the same plastic harness. However, I really had to 'pull down' on the plastic boot to expose the wires and effect a repair. I was frightened that if I'd pulled any firmer I may have snapped the whole loom, so I ended up cutting open the plastic boot entirely to access the wires.

I've carried out the repair and the boot opens and closes fine now - but now I will need a new loom and plastic boot.

My query is this: On the attached photo the loom goes into the main body of the car - where does it go from there?

I can see from the guide where the wires appear to be connected to on the boot side - but where do they go internally?

Homer
Left side of the boot mate at the top under the parcel shelf
benrpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to benrpatterson For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2015, 18:59   #17
RCH2008S40

Thanks Wooders! The US version of the Volvo S40 has the interior emergency boot release pull handle. Good thing too...my wiring has deteriorated to the point where the boot won't open using the exterior boot release handle and the infamous "Trunk Open" error on the dash display.

I've got the new wiring harness sitting in the kitchen...will install it this weekend!
RCH2008S40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2015, 23:14   #18
nfosterma

Earlier this summer, I had this same issue on my '09 S80, and I ended up brining it to the dealership for repair. However, this trunk release problem has now occurred on our '11 S40, so I ordered the part based on this post, and I will be making the replacement once it arrives. One question - does anyone know which fuse controls the trunk release? This was something that needed to be replaced as part of the repair on my S80, so I anticipate the same for the S40. Unfortunately, I can't find the fuse number for the trunk release within the owners manual for our S40. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
nfosterma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2015, 19:35   #19
aneater94

Thanks a million for this guide, both of mu number plate lights went out. After some search I found this fantastic guide which is a much needed help. I replaced the boot lid wiring harnesss and both lights are now working.
aneater94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2016, 13:43   #20
jdyett

Smile Excellent Guide

I have replaced my wiring harness using this guide, I could not open the boot so i had to go through the back seat, removed the carpet trim from inside and manage to connect the new harness without removing the three 10mm bolts and opened the boot.

Without this guide i would of taken this to my local garage for repair.

I have attached pictures of the damaged harness.

IMG_0305.JPG
IMG_0306.JPG
jdyett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boot lid, s40