Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 front brake disc issue with warping

Views : 356

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 25th, 2021, 12:50   #1
lordbasil

Default C30 front brake disc issue with warping

Hi all

After some advice and knowledge please.

Got 2.0 petrol R-Design and had by third set of front discs and pads replaced yesterday under warranty by independent garage. First set was replaced in Jan 2021 on a service but had to get them done again in April due to brake vibration due to warping.

It happened a second time recently and garage now saying underlying issue and this is the last warranty repair they'll do. I asked them what cause could be and they said poss worn hub. I stated steering wheel judder only happens when braking so would that indicate hub worn/warped. They didn't know for sure.

Car has done 4k since January.

Anyone advise if garage explanation rings true?
lordbasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 13:19   #2
JohnM 855 T5R
VOC Member

If the independent garage didn't fit GENUINE Volvo discs, that will almost certainly be your problem. Many people on this forum will attest to P80 and P1 platform cars being notorious for warping discs (me being one of them) unless you use the genuine article. Insist on Volvo discs, don't be fobbed off with aftermarket discs even if they are so called reputable brands.

Regards
John
11 C70 Solstice T5 Polestar
19 XC40 T5 R-Design Polestar
JohnM 855 T5R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnM 855 T5R For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 13:35   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM 855 T5R View Post
If the independent garage didn't fit GENUINE Volvo discs, that will almost certainly be your problem. Many people on this forum will attest to P80 and P1 platform cars being notorious for warping discs (me being one of them) unless you use the genuine article. Insist on Volvo discs, don't be fobbed off with aftermarket discs even if they are so called reputable brands.

Regards
John
so very true , also make sure the face of the hub is clean and not rusted where the disc sits on the hub .
last but not least all 5 wheel nuts INCLUDING THE LOCKING NUT must be torqued up to 130mn . there was a Service bulletin about this a few years ago where people are afraid to torque it fully up and it was causing vibration . .
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 17:30   #4
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordbasil View Post
Hi all

After some advice and knowledge please.

Got 2.0 petrol R-Design and had by third set of front discs and pads replaced yesterday under warranty by independent garage. First set was replaced in Jan 2021 on a service but had to get them done again in April due to brake vibration due to warping.

It happened a second time recently and garage now saying underlying issue and this is the last warranty repair they'll do. I asked them what cause could be and they said poss worn hub. I stated steering wheel judder only happens when braking so would that indicate hub worn/warped. They didn't know for sure.

Car has done 4k since January.

Anyone advise if garage explanation rings true?
if they refuse to honour the warranty - trading standards
if YOU specified which make of disks,,, good luck
if they have fitted them correctly *see Clan's post about Cleaning both surfaces + wheel nut torque settings then 3 changes in X months = very poor quality disks ,

as others have said GEN volvo disks (and pads) , or ATE ones specifically for your C30
(iirc ATE are the oem manuf for volvo on C30/S40V50 disks )

yes volvo disks / pads arent the cheapest

i Do ponder the £ of 3 sets of "after market disks" V one set of Gen Volvo disks ,,,
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 17:36   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
if they refuse to honour the warranty - trading standards
if YOU specified which make of disks,,, good luck
if they have fitted them correctly *see Clan's post about Cleaning both surfaces + wheel nut torque settings then 3 changes in X months = very poor quality disks ,

as others have said GEN volvo disks (and pads) , or ATE ones specifically for your C30
(iirc ATE are the oem manuf for volvo on C30/S40V50 disks )

yes volvo disks / pads arent the cheapest

i Do ponder the £ of 3 sets of "after market disks" V one set of Gen Volvo disks ,,,
have you any evidence ? As far as I know they are made by Volvo in sweden . They all have MADE IN SWEDEN on them
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 09:19   #6
Wgl2020

Brake discs are sizeable chunks of metal, at the risk stating the obvious they shouldn't just warp.

Is there anything particular about the setup on P1 cars that makes them susceptible to this? I've never bothered with manufacturer branded discs on any of my cars and have generally gone with premium aftermarket brands (brembo, pagid or ate) and haven't had any issues.

Unless the ones that have been fitted are just crap I wouldn't be surprised if there is an underlying issue.
Wgl2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wgl2020 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 10:14   #7
lordbasil

Thanks a lot folks

I had a pre-mot inspection done at a different garage (getting my MOT done there a week tomorrow) and I asked for control arms/bushes/bearings checking and all came back good.

This is how I found out that front discs were warped & the cause of my steering wheel judder when braking.

I'll ask him again on my MOT.

Question I have is if there WAS an underlying issue with the wheel hub should I expect to notice it when driving without braking?
lordbasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 15:58   #8
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
have you any evidence ? As far as I know they are made by Volvo in sweden . They all have MADE IN SWEDEN on them
various posters in the s40/v50 section seem to have found this out and why hte "iirc" was added ,
(doesnt matter to me im a "stick gen pads/disks person ,, personal pref)