Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Euro 4 D5 Block mod

Views : 13125

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 2nd, 2021, 20:40   #31
Simmy
Premier Member

never heard of any d5 engines having cracked blocks i think the diesel is a more robust engine than the petrol ones where split liners cause problems
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2021, 06:46   #32
5cilinder
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalguy View Post
yes it is dyno tested on an eddy current braked dyno

it would need a hybrid turbo, why does everyone go straight for boost? doesn't necessarily need to have a stupid high boost. i was only on 26 psi with what I got.

its all about egt's and soi and a bit of afr you watch the egt's if its going too high its too much

you dont need massive smoke to gain power if you get the SOI right massive smoke is for amateur tuning just dump in fuel to get power anyone can do that and its not the right way to do it.

any tuner who promises certain figures isnt worth using. its always estimated and dependant on the health of the vehicle.

drag strip cars are different they're tuned for the drag strip specific parameters that are used to optimize them for 1/4 mile runs completely different to something you would use on the road you're not just doing 1/4 miles all the time ffs!

do you even know what fuel pump this has and do you know what injectors are capable of? do you know whats inside the block? have you ever had one of these cars on the dyno on a long session?

i know all of it because the tuner has told me and based on that and other factors says the figures i mentioned are certainly achievable.
Ah a lingo dropper

Offcourse you can advance the injection to lower egt, question is which egt? The egt measured right outside the block? or the egt right above the piston where no sensor is located?
The reason it lowers egt outside the block is that the burning can get more expansion because its injected earlier
BUT the starting temperature right above the piston where that extra fuel nearer to the piston crown is injected will be much higher (and you cant see it on a sensor) can result in burning a hole in the piston crown if you take it to far.
So there will be limits ,also pistons can crack with shrinking and expansion of the metal if there is much heat load difference (full blast away ..... and idling next stoppinglight)
(Hope you have AWD because 300 hp on the front wheels will let you stand still smoking the tyres)
And the smoothness off the burning will vanish ,very hard knocking vibration with injection timing advanced to the max

https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php...piston.313658/

tdi engine cracked piston: 1.9l 220hp and brisk driving

https://www.coloradofans.com/threads...n-hole.406995/

piston hole: soi advanced beyond the max with ford duramax and bearing damage
Attached Images
File Type: jpg piston.jpg (48.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg piston3.jpg (99.0 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by 5cilinder; Sep 4th, 2021 at 07:26.
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2021, 18:59   #33
totalguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
Just come to this somewhat fractious thread but a suggestion for the OP to his original question ...
P2 V70 R and Ford Focus (2.5 litre) has history of cracking cylinder liners if you flog engine or over stress it.
The standard so called fix is to shim the block, even using mundane metal as feeler gauges...I don't know if the D5 block is similar to the 2.5 petrol but shimming is shimming so to speak,and if the engine is in bits already the time/expense may add a degree or so of improved reliability.. Doubt it could hurt... Worth further investigation perhaps???

Cheers Bob
it will have the same issue ive been told by an engine guy.tuner it would need this done
totalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2021, 11:32   #34
totalguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
never heard of any d5 engines having cracked blocks i think the diesel is a more robust engine than the petrol ones where split liners cause problems
of course you haven't because people are too pussy to push the limits lol
The Following User Says Thank You to totalguy For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 11th, 2021, 11:41   #35
totalguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
Ah a lingo dropper

Offcourse you can advance the injection to lower egt, question is which egt? The egt measured right outside the block? or the egt right above the piston where no sensor is located?
The reason it lowers egt outside the block is that the burning can get more expansion because its injected earlier
BUT the starting temperature right above the piston where that extra fuel nearer to the piston crown is injected will be much higher (and you cant see it on a sensor) can result in burning a hole in the piston crown if you take it to far.
So there will be limits ,also pistons can crack with shrinking and expansion of the metal if there is much heat load difference (full blast away ..... and idling next stoppinglight)
(Hope you have AWD because 300 hp on the front wheels will let you stand still smoking the tyres)
And the smoothness off the burning will vanish ,very hard knocking vibration with injection timing advanced to the max

https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php...piston.313658/

tdi engine cracked piston: 1.9l 220hp and brisk driving

https://www.coloradofans.com/threads...n-hole.406995/

piston hole: soi advanced beyond the max with ford duramax and bearing damage
Not so worried about pistons thats easier to fix, the block is more of a problem because its got a lot of space around liners. They will take 500nm approx or a bit more than that but beyond that it's going to cause damage. been told that by an engine builder (not Volvo specific) by looking at the block itself inside.

holes in pistons can also be caused by incorrect mapping and turning off things like overheat protection you would be surprised how many companies actually do this stuff! it's rather worrying. Seen some customers have a knackered engine because the map had many problems like this. Goals can be achieved by not doing these things as can power goals be achieved without billowing smoke out of the exhaust. You just have to have someone who knows what they are doing. not just a tuner someone who knows how the engines work and weak points of components and such.
Old Sep 11th, 2021, 12:04   #36
Simmy
Premier Member

none of the links shows a volvo d5 engine?
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 05:59   #37
5cilinder
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
none of the links shows a volvo d5 engine?
Offcourse not!

You volvo cucks dont dare to push the limits without consulting the dealer with a trembling lip first!
And we all know that we are not suppose to redpil some volvo blocks

But that aside i just explained some diesel parameter limits, with some random examples if its taken too far

Quote:
of course you haven't because people are too pussy to push the limits lol

Last edited by 5cilinder; Sep 12th, 2021 at 06:08.
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 22:52   #38
Poeta

Quote:
i never said anything about getting a d5 to 500hp. another classic not reading
D5 engine block is very strong and it more then capable to handle 500hp.
I'm currently researching how to use D5 block on a petrol application because how strong it is.
So a bit of a background I do have V70 D5 but it is my daily and it is stock and I have Focus st225 as a track car making 317bhp for now but I know sooner or later I will crack the liner so I all ready researching a cheap way to build strong engine. I came across some comments on a YouTube video about machining st/rs engines a guy said that in Sweden they are using D5 engine block in they big power cheap petrol builds because D5 engine has thicker liners and lot more supports in engine block. So I had found a guy on YouTube from Belarus showing how he adapted D5 engine block to T5 head using D5 crank, h beam rods and stock pistons and he made 596bhp on 1 6 bar of boost!!! So D5 engine is quite strong

https://youtu.be/E8OeTCmjZuo

https://youtu.be/IIVk0-b13ds
Poeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2021, 01:41   #39
Mkengineering
Master Member

To the op I say go for it and good luck with you venture. Honestly if you have thought of it; then I bet someone is already trying to create it.

The d5 block is a very strong block already. I believe the euro 3 one with the black cover is the strongest. I know a few mappers who have done amazing things with the d5 block.

Unfortunately as you said many of the Volvo community are stuck In their ways of keepng OEM or OEM+.

They don't like you altering or modifying the volvos at all. However there are a few guys on here who will help and actually give you some good pointers on what you could do .

As I mentioned and, you yourself have; the majority of volvo lads here dont like anything that seems to them far fetched or unattainable.

I've currently got a 850 t5 where iv just finished up installing a stand alone link g4 ECU and getting it mapped by NMK Performace who are based in Amman.jordan.

What I am saying is just do it and enjoy it. Who care about what people say on here. Just go for it! Good luck! Oh if you want a better forum look ar sweedesports or contact a chap from contrast tunning
Mkengineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 07:26   #40
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

3 months in...has the OP done anything yet? Would be interesting to see the project in progress.