Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

440 for sale 6 month mot starts first time drives mint

Views : 3717

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 30th, 2020, 12:32   #11
dcw
VOC Member

So I bit the bullet and took this car on at the end of last week - thanks Stephen, it was a pleasure meeting you!

I wanted another project car and that is exactly what this is - essentially sound but needs quite a bit of tlc and will keep me occupied for a while to come. I will start a thread in the appropriate part of the forum in due course.

It's interesting to see just how similar and yet just how different the 440 is to the 480. One thing I do like is the spacious engine compartment - without the different shape of front-end and with no air-conditioning equipment in the way there is soooo much space to play with!!

The "other 400s", ie 440 and 460, seem to be so unloved I fear they will become extinct if we don't start trying to save the remaining few, so this is my contribution to that exercise. Hopefully, though, it'll also give me a good and useable car in due course...

David
1994 480 GT and 2007 V50 SE Sport
dcw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dcw For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2020, 22:35   #12
Joseph Martin
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw View Post
So I bit the bullet and took this car on at the end of last week - thanks Stephen, it was a pleasure meeting you!

I wanted another project car and that is exactly what this is - essentially sound but needs quite a bit of tlc and will keep me occupied for a while to come. I will start a thread in the appropriate part of the forum in due course.

It's interesting to see just how similar and yet just how different the 440 is to the 480. One thing I do like is the spacious engine compartment - without the different shape of front-end and with no air-conditioning equipment in the way there is soooo much space to play with!!

The "other 400s", ie 440 and 460, seem to be so unloved I fear they will become extinct if we don't start trying to save the remaining few, so this is my contribution to that exercise. Hopefully, though, it'll also give me a good and useable car in due course...

David
Excellent save, David.

I still have two 440s (a GLT 2.0i and a 1.9TD), as well as two 460 CD 2.0i's - one manual and one auto. All are projects, but you can restore a car which has sat parked up for years, but not one which has been crushed into a cube in the scrap yard.

Good to see another one saved...
S40 1.6 (x2); 440 1.6i
Joseph Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph Martin For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2020, 11:09   #13
triumphtoledo

Default 440

Nice to (at last) see some love for the 400s.

I now have a set: an F reg 440 GLT, a G reg 460 Turbo and an L reg 480ES 2.0

R
triumphtoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to triumphtoledo For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2020, 13:04   #14
dcw
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphtoledo View Post
Nice to (at last) see some love for the 400s.

I now have a set: an F reg 440 GLT, a G reg 460 Turbo and an L reg 480ES 2.0

R
I've had many 480s, all the way back to when they were current. Since in the early 90s my 480 was still being maintained by Volvo, I always used to have 440s or 460s as loan cars, and I always liked them. They don't have quite the handling of the 480, but equally they have a little more practicality to offer...

Recently, alongside my 480GT (which is never leaving my ownership while I have any say in the matter) I have recently had, done up, and sold on two 480 Celebrations in succession. I've long been mindful that the 440/460 will disappear completely if we don't move now, so needing a new project I thought it would be a nice change.

I am very pleased with her - yes, she's had a lot done but yes, she needs a lot doing. I am making steady progress. Eventually she should be a very nice practical car, which I may well keep (I have now started using her as a daily driver).

I was only thinking today that I'd still like a turbo in the fleet, and that a 460 Turbo would be ideal. It's good to know I'm not the only one interested in perhaps getting the whole 400 family together! Mind you, if a 480 turbo came along at the right condition/price/time...

David
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 19:46   #15
dcw
VOC Member

For those other valiant people - I know you're few but you are out there - that care about the 400 series, I have started a showroom thread for this 440 now I have made some decent progress with her:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=312215

Steve, if you're still on here, as I promised she is in safe hands...

Enjoy!

David

Tags
440 for sale 6 month mot