Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Horn clicking but not honking…help required!

Views : 598

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 26th, 2021, 23:58   #1
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Default Horn clicking but not honking…help required!

Hi all,
Over the last few months the horn on my diesel 940 estate has gradually declined from a sort of skronky, furious-goose-like honk to nothing but a desultory clicking noise from under the car when I hit the button.

Before I dive in and order a replacement horn unit, is there anything else that could be causing the issue? Any relays or similar that may have gone bad?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
Phil
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 00:31   #2
lynns hubby
Master Member

Obvious one being the earth. Clean the earthing point up and try again.
If no different try running a wire from the + terminal on your battery to the + terminal on the horn if it works you have found your problem.
If it still just clicks, a standard 12V horn from a factors should be around a fiver. If the new one doesn't cure the problem, at least you are only a few quid out of pocket and now have a spare.
Then the fun begins tracing wires etc.
lynns hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 01:15   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo View Post
Hi all,
Over the last few months the horn on my diesel 940 estate has gradually declined from a sort of skronky, furious-goose-like honk to nothing but a desultory clicking noise from under the car when I hit the button.

Before I dive in and order a replacement horn unit, is there anything else that could be causing the issue? Any relays or similar that may have gone bad?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
Phil
The horns are earth-switched Phil (no relay, just the contact in the steering wheel), check you have a +12V feed to them and then try running a separate earth on a jumper wire that you can connect to the earth terminal on one of the horns and dab on a nearby earth (clean bolt, engine, battery -ve terminal etc) to see if they work. Also try cleaning the +ve terminals and connectors to the horns, if no joy then have a look on fleabay for a new pair of horns.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 09:46   #4
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

The horns have probably just died; they are exposed to all the road muck imaginable. I ended up fitting air-horns to the Valdez, after re-routing the wiring to the compressor and leaving the originals in place as it was easier than cutting them off.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 10:46   #5
mjk164
VOC Member

Loki is right, the horns are very exposed. On my 1993 960, I covered them up with a simple plastic bag on each, renewed the bags after about 2/3 years, and the horns are as good as new.
mjk164 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mjk164 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 21:01   #6
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default horn

hi mine failed too i got a new one and repositioned it behind radiator away from all the road dirt etc before you start if you have the same car as me 1995 diesel with alarm ,the sounder is under the bonnet passenger side near bulk head disconnect it an try it on the wiring to horns down under battery tray if it works you know it a horn replacement if not then its trace the wiring fault as been said
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 09:50   #7
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default horn

sorry i meant i fitted the horn behind the radiator GRILL
regards jim
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 14:13   #8
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Thanks all, I’ll investigate next week when the weather is a bit less crappy, I’ve been busy this week sorting out my wife’s wayward Galaxy Mk3 and it’s defunct starter motor. Horrible working on a modern car with it’s ridiculously tight packaging after years of 2/7/900 series fettling!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 14:16   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo View Post
Thanks all, I’ll investigate next week when the weather is a bit less crappy, I’ve been busy this week sorting out my wife’s wayward Galaxy Mk3 and it’s defunct starter motor. Horrible working on a modern car with it’s ridiculously tight packaging after years of 2/7/900 series fettling!
Is that the one that has the drive end bearing mounted in the bell housing Phil? If you buy a recon/new unit, read the terms of the warranty carefully - it may state the D/E bearing should be renewed or the warranty is void. If so you should be able to get one from any VAG/Ford dealer or most autoelectrical places.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2021, 16:29   #10
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
The horns have probably just died; they are exposed to all the road muck imaginable. I ended up fitting air-horns to the Valdez, after re-routing the wiring to the compressor and leaving the originals in place as it was easier than cutting them off.
This.

Happened to mine, they are in the worst place you can put horns!!

I changed mine for a lovely loud pair of Hella Supertones (like rally Imprezas have on) which are just behind the grille - nice and loud and out of harms way now too. I wired mine up with a relay btw.
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MiniNinjaRob For This Useful Post: