Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What would you expect...?

Views : 1201

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 19:22   #11
JAFFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr8pdo View Post
I agree, i wouldnt be happy, would demand my money back, go elsewhere, job done
If they dont want a bad press, il think they would give money back no problem plus whatever it has cost all total including postage etc,
Customer is always right
I'd agree completely. And to be equitable, the company offered a full refund as soon as I complained.

However, I believe I shouldn't be out of pocket in returning these, they disagree, though, and believe I should fund the cost of returning them. Trading standards disagree with that, and agree with my position.

I'm not after blood or anything, I just believe I bought something in good faith, with good reasons for believing that what I was buying were Bosch parts, and I don't believe I should be out of pocket in returning them.

I'll say no more about my experience in dealing with them, though, until it's finally resolved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scr8pdo View Post
Just to add my opinion, it does look misleading in the advert, but havent actually stated what make the parts are which i think they should have done to be fair
In context of This, though which is how I got to their website, then finding the parts and how they're described, and I suspect most people (me included) wouldn't have any cause to suspect they wouldn't be getting Bosch parts when they were delivered.

Imagine my suprise...
JAFFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 19:36   #12
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFFO View Post
I'd agree completely. And to be equitable, the company offered a full refund as soon as I complained.

However, I believe I shouldn't be out of pocket in returning these, they disagree, though, and believe I should fund the cost of returning them. Trading standards disagree with that, and agree with my position.
If I understand the law correctly on this, the Sale of Goods act requires them to give you a full refund in return for the products. Unfortunately, if I understand correctly, that particular act doesn't extend to consequential loss (so you can't sue them for stubbing your toe when you kicked the wall in protest at being sent the wrong stuff). That sort of thing may be covered elsewhere in the law, but not in the Sale of Goods act.

Unfortunately that also means that it is up to you to get the goods back to them so they can give you a refund.

So I suspect that following the letter of the law, they are right. That doesn't make it morally right though.

I'd just tell them that that you will be writing truthfully about your experience on a popular car forum (don't say 'unless you sort it' cos then you're coercing them). Point out that you accept mistakes are made by all companies, and it is how those mistakes are rectified that counts for a great deal. I'm sure a company would rather someone say "They sold me the wrong stuff but when I spoke to them they were very helpful and rectified the situation immediately", than "They mislead me and then wouldn't cooperate".
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 19:58   #13
JAFFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippedoffagain View Post
If I understand the law correctly on this, the Sale of Goods act requires them to give you a full refund in return for the products. Unfortunately, if I understand correctly, that particular act doesn't extend to consequential loss (so you can't sue them for stubbing your toe when you kicked the wall in protest at being sent the wrong stuff). That sort of thing may be covered elsewhere in the law, but not in the Sale of Goods act.
I'm not after any consequential losses, or some kind of compensation - I just believe it's not my responsibility to have to fund returning them. Trading Standards firmly agreed with me - under the Sale of Goods act, Trading Standards say they must either pay the costs for them to be sent back, or arrange their own collection of them.
Quote:
Unfortunately that also means that it is up to you to get the goods back to them so they can give you a refund.
I've no problem with getting them back to them, I just don't believe I should have to foot the bill for that - and in fairness, Trading Standards very much agree with me.
Quote:
I'd just tell them that that you will be writing truthfully about your experience on a popular car forum (don't say 'unless you sort it' cos then you're coercing them). Point out that you accept mistakes are made by all companies, and it is how those mistakes are rectified that counts for a great deal. I'm sure a company would rather someone say "They sold me the wrong stuff but when I spoke to them they were very helpful and rectified the situation immediately"
There's no way I'll be able to honestly say that.

Whether they can remedy the situation after a more formal approach, time will tell.

It's not the money, it's simply this - I genuinely thought I was buying Bosch parts, and given how I got to the website, and how what I bought was described, I think that was a reasonable expectation. Now I'm not out for blood, or to sully a company's reputation - so I'll keep quiet, currently, about how I feel they've dealt with matters up to now - I just feel like I'm entitled to be dealt with as my consumer rights say I should - not necessarily them bending over backwards to make me feel happy - but merely as I'm entitled, in a polite, professional, and timely manner, and as I don't feel that's the case, that's why I'm not just letting it slide, and why I spoke to Trading Standards - not to put them in their place - just to put me back in the position before I had the misfortune of buying anything from them.
Quote:
than "They mislead me and then wouldn't cooperate".
I couldn't possibly comment... least not at the moment ;-)
JAFFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 20:41   #14
cumbrianmale
Forum Support Team

If they supplied the correct goods then the OP would have to pay the return carriage, this hinges on the product description and from the site you could reasonably expect that what you ordered were Bosh parts.

I assume you are using TS at the vendors county to make your complaint. Incidentally the address on the website is the address of the website is registered to.

You may have to take this to court unless TS write to them, and copy to you, stating their view that you were mislead. With that letter you may be able to get your credit card company to do a charge back. I would certainly contact them to register a dispute.

Previous Volvos
90 240 GL B230FB Auto
96 940 CD
13 V40 D2 R-design
89 745 GLE
98 V90 3.0 24v
98 945 Celebration Auto
96 965 SE Auto
86 744 GL
81 244 DL
cumbrianmale is offline   Reply With Quote