Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Issues with oil leak from rear of engine.

Views : 2983

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 8th, 2013, 15:51   #1
alexstanleyv50

Default Issues with oil leak from rear of engine.

Hi Guys,

Newbie so sorry if its in the wrong place. Purchased a V70 02' 2.4l (170bhp) auto a few weeks back and I've got an oil leak.

Travelling home the other day I had to give it the legs to get past a lorry crawling up a pretty steep hill. She shifted like **** of a shovel but when I looked in my rear view I noticed a large cloud of blue smoke.

Got home and put her on the ramps and noticed oil had somehow got onto the drive shaft and had been thrown all over the place - including the exhaust manifold (hence the nice batmobile smoke). I have cleaned it off but spent the best part of a (very) sunny afternoon scratching my head as to where it was leaking from.

I have checked my levels and she does seam to be using a little oil (oil & filter changed last week) but not a great deal, ATF level is ok but does need changing and my other levels seam ok.

I did however notice a hole where what I believe is where the turbo oil return line would enter the block. But the thing is my car isn't turbo-charged...

I am going to replace the PCV system, drain and fill the ATF as per instructions from this site and check all seals (as far as I can!).

So, my only thaught is that because the PCV is probably snookered its creating pressure in the system forcing oil from either the camshaft seal or the hole where the turbo return line would fit.

My question - should my block have a hole for the turbo return line and should this be blocked off? Was she origionally turbo-charged and its been removed?

Any suggestions on anything else would be great!

PS - I am 24 and my first volvo was a V40 - then V50 and now the big cheese. I love these cars and I am not willing to give up on them - Shes done 139000 miles and hasn't been that well looked after and I plan on changing that....

Thanks

Alex
alexstanleyv50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 18:56   #2
Aveton Gifford
VOC Member

Hi,

try reading through this thread, it could be your problem

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=93954
Aveton Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 19:14   #3
mikealder
VOC Member

Take the top cover off the engine and see if there is oil residue under it around the oil filler cap, if there is replace the oil filler cap seal.

The PCV is quite an easy job on the N/A engines but work on around 3 hours, once you have the PCV tank off connect a length of 5/8" hose to the lower port the PCV tank connects to and try to blow through it, if you can hear bubbling from the sump the oil drain port is clear, if you can't blow through it it is blocked and requires further work to clear it out. I use 3/8" clear plastic pipe feeding it down the oil drain port, the carbon and sludge gets pushed in to the tube, simply remove the tube, cut off the now blocked section and repeat until it is clear. Again double check by blowing through it. Have a read through my post in This Thread as that shows what is involved to get at the PCV and your engine should be very similar. - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikealder For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2013, 07:42   #4
Mnkiboy

Exactly the same as happened to mine. Go to your local Volvo dealer and purchase part number V8687868 for around £2.50. This is a cap for the hole where the turbo oil return pipe would be. You can fit it yourself if you've got a small hammer to knock it in with.

The original cap had a rubber seal which perishes over time, and allows it to drop out. The replacement one is all metal. Therefore you might not necessarily have an issue with a blocked PCV. I've checked mine and it seems fine.
Mnkiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 10:32   #5
alexstanleyv50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnkiboy View Post
Exactly the same as happened to mine. Go to your local Volvo dealer and purchase part number V8687868 for around £2.50. This is a cap for the hole where the turbo oil return pipe would be. You can fit it yourself if you've got a small hammer to knock it in with.

The original cap had a rubber seal which perishes over time, and allows it to drop out. The replacement one is all metal. Therefore you might not necessarily have an issue with a blocked PCV. I've checked mine and it seems fine.
Thanks! I couldn't find any info on this from searches of the web/forums. Could you tell me if this missing cap causes oil to be thrown out of the engine onto the exhaust? And did this fix you problem? As the link from Aveton Gillford explained all the symptoms I am experiencing I believe this will fix my problem.

As with the PCV - thanks guys for your help on this, and the links to various threads - I was starting to panic that I would have to take her to the local indi - I will try these cheap and relatively simple fixes and will keep you posted.

Thanks

Alex
The Following User Says Thank You to alexstanleyv50 For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2013, 12:36   #6
Mnkiboy

I think what actually happens is that the oil hits the spinning driveshaft and gets flung on to the exhaust. I found that over 3000rpm tended to produce a lot of smoke, which is very worrying the first time it happens!

Fitting the cap in the hole fixed it straight away. I'm 99% sure you have the same issue.
Mnkiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mnkiboy For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2013, 12:48   #7
alexstanleyv50

So I got the part on saturday and it was a little difficult to get it seated. But after a few swear words and 20 mins I believe the problem is sorted.

I took her for a spin - got the revs really high and gave it a good blast - and nothing. No oil being burnt off. Didley squat!

What is interesting is it took quite a while to find the info to get this sorted, and a lot of people were suggesting the PCV. I wonder if the admin might sticky this so people can look into this affordable fix first before blowing £70-£100 on a replacement PCV (not to mention labour!).

Thanks guys - £3 and sorted!
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 16:30   #8
alexstanleyv50

Default Update

Ok just to let anyone know if this truely fixed my problem - it did. a couple of months down the line and no leaks at all.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to alexstanleyv50 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 19:32   #9
mikealder
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnkiboy View Post
Exactly the same as happened to mine. Go to your local Volvo dealer and purchase part number V8687868 for around £2.50. This is a cap for the hole where the turbo oil return pipe would be.
Guess what I will be doing tomorrow assuming the local dealer has a replacement cap in stock, gave me quite a fright when I booted the car to get out in to traffic only to see a cloud of smoke in the rear view mirror, leak is from that area so assuming it is the plug/ cap that has come out - Mike
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 16:59   #10
mikealder
VOC Member

Got the replacement cap/ core plug from the local main dealers (Doves Preston), great service, phoned them in the morning not it stock but they could get one for 16:30HR on the same day (Friday).

Got the car jacked up and found the plug in the rear of the engine block missing, looking up at the rear of the engine from under the car, the plug should be in the part the red arrows are pointing at:

This is the hole the oil escapes from when above 2,500RPM, below that speed it just seem to vent oil fumes which you can smell in the car:

Problem solved, plug was placed in to the hole and tapped down in to position with a hammer and drift:

Works a treat and only took a few minutes to fix - Mike

Last edited by mikealder; Mar 8th, 2014 at 17:02.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikealder For This Useful Post:

Tags
drive shaft, oil breather pipe, oil leak, pcv system, turbo oil return pipe